Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

Information needed and suggestion

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 1:09 am    Post subject: Information needed and suggestion Reply with quote

Hello everybody,

I have a question that might let me understand which would be the best strategy to get the most form Gixen.

Unfortunately, I've lost the auction by 1€ Crying or Very sad

I have checked the bid history and I noticed my bid was correctly sent 6 seconds before the auction ends. However, the winner sent his offer 1'18" before the auction ends.

This means he set his maximum bid amount and Ebay took it into consideration, we consider it the "normal or expected behavior".

[img]i.ibb.co/6t9c8qR/Schermata-2021-05-19-alle-10-35-55.png[/img]

My questions are:

1. It would have made any difference if my snipe was placed 3" before the auction end? Or Ebay will always advantage the stored offers?

2. Setting an offset too close to the end of the auction will increase the risk of not being able to place the snipe. But which are the chances that this happens?

3. The mirror server is working only if the main one fails to place the snipe, isn't it? If I'm setting the offset on main at 6 and on the mirror at 3, the mirror will only work if the main didn't place the bid. Is not possible to set two different snipe amounts?
I mean, on main I place 365€ with offset 6 and 375€ with offset 3 on mirror?
In this way I could have one chance more to win the bid.

4. Any tips on how to get the best from Gixen is welcome Very Happy

Thank you very much.

Before I forget. The auction ID was 164865648386
Kitem

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry.....I forgot to add my username
Cupid

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way that you can beat a bid that is accepted by Ebay before the end of the auction, that is higher in value than your own is to place a higher bid.

Ebay only makes the winner pay at most one bid increment more than the next highest bidder. In that range the bid increment is 1 Euro as detailed here, so it isn't possible to know now just how much more the winner was actually willing to pay for this.

So as direct answers to your specific questions:

1. No, in this case, it would not have made any difference if your snipe had been placed later.

2. These days the reliability of the link between the Gixen and Ebay servers is very high and the method used very reliable, therefore setting lower offsets doesn't disadvantage you very much at all in terms of it being more likely to arrive late. It is more likely to be rejected because it is too low because other bids have pushed the price above where Ebay will accept the bid due to the bid increment rule though, which is the only reason I tend to prefer larger offsets than the default of 6 seconds. This is only more likely to happen when other snipers are planning to bid on the auction though.

3. Both servers work independently, the later one does not wait to hear from the earlier one as to whether it has succeeded or not, that could never work anyway for obvious reasons. Generally the later one gets blocked by Ebay and its bid not accepted since the earlier one has already placed a bid of that amount and Ebay doesn't allow a later identical bid from the same user. It does not make sense to have the two servers willing to pay different amounts it's better that both send the maximum amount that you are willing to pay, otherwise if the one with the higher bid were to fail you could be outbid by another sniper that was willing to pay less than you.

4. I think the best advice I can give on being a successful sniper is that the most useful use of time is often to be spent in researching the true value of the items you take an interest in before deciding how much you think it is worth to yourself and finally choosing the maximum amount that you are willing to pay for it, while always taking into account both the amount it will cost you to get it to where you are and the amount you may have to pay in fees to convert your currency into that of the auction.

Last edited by Cupid on Wed May 19, 2021 5:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Kitem

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your answer.

I have another question, if I put my bid as 350€ and the actual price is 200€ the snipe will place directly 350€ or the next available increased value?
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 4:19 am    Post subject:

mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gixen will place your maximum bid at eBay, however then eBay proxy system takes over to determine the amount necessary to win. Generally it will be the next bid increment unless there is a reserve price.

In cases when reserve price is set, the bid will "jump" to it.
Cupid

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The amount that you specify is the amount that is sent to Ebay as your bid.

It has to work that way because most of the time you don't know what the high bid you are competing against actually is, as in the auction you were talking about above. Even Ebay doesn't know what amount is still to be bid by snipers that have scheduled bids later than yours, and you wouldn't be happy if you lost out to one of their bids that was less than you were willing to pay, would you ?

Of course that does not mean you will necessarily have to pay as much as your high bid if you win, as already noted above Ebay only ever makes you pay at most one bid increment more than the next highest accepted bid.
Kitem

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks you all

Sorry for the late answer but I didn't get any notification about your answers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.