Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

Won an auction, but not sure what happened exactly

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:20 pm    Post subject: Won an auction, but not sure what happened exactly Reply with quote

Won an auction yesterday (324565701714), but I am not entirely sure what happened. Am I reading the log right if I conclude that the other guy got jumpy toward end of the auction and raised his bid two times (2:27:07 & 2:27:15) just for good measure? There doesn't seem to be competing bids around that time. Or is there some technical detail that I am missing that's not visible in the bid log?
Cupid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you are reading that correctly, the losing bidder placed many bids on that auction, outbidding themselves many times during the auction.

All their bids were before your winning one so were not a reaction to that, and seemingly not particularly to any of the other bids either.

It might seem like odd behaviour but it's not particularly unusual, I've seen some people claim that they bid this way in order to intimidate other bidders into believing there isn't much point bidding against this determined bidder... I don't believe that works well as a strategy though, I think it is just more likely to increase the final selling price.

Last edited by Cupid on Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:35 am; edited 1 time in total
dnwrm

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info! That does sound odd to me, indeed, completely counterintuitive, to be honest. Not sure about others, but personally I don't find bidding against oneself to be awfully forbidding... No pun intended. Very Happy

(By the way, you might want to do some tuning in your spam filters, as I was not able to use the adjective derived from "to intimidate", because "datin*" is on Gixen's list of spam related words.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Impressions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.