Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

EBAY ERROR: PURCHASE LIMIT EXCEEDED

View previous topic :: View next topic  
michel777

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:15 am    Post subject: EBAY ERROR: PURCHASE LIMIT EXCEEDED Reply with quote

item 280712983972

I got a "EBAY ERROR: PURCHASE LIMIT EXCEEDED" message and my bid was not placed!

What does this mean?
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It means that the seller set a limit on how many items any individual buyer can buy from him/her. I have no idea why some sellers do this. It actually reduces their profit.
hrh.princess

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, there is a very valid reason for sellers placing a limit on how many items you may purchase from them.

Many new sellers put up auctions in order to garner positive feedback. They will take a loss or sell items at cost to bring up their numbers. If a buyer purchases one or 100 items during the same week, their feedback only counts as one. Same with the DSRs.

The answer to get around this is very simple and sellers like it because they save on shipping costs. Simply add additional ebay accounts and you can buy with each one.

I have six ebay accounts (ALL with the mirror service) and can tie up to eight to a single paypal account. It works well for everyone.
MusicalMan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting this one a LOT in the last few days (twice just now, including for example, item #330593464449):

"Sorry, you are not allowed to purchase this item
* This item is only available to buyers who have not purchased 10 or more items from this seller in the past 10 days.
* You can contact the seller for more information, or find similar items offered by other sellers."

Just caused me to lose TWO items (one of which I wanted very badly) which went unsold at the opening bids of 99 cents each!!!

Crying or Very sad Evil or Very Mad

I don't see how that can be "good" for a seller!

I actually think it's an eBay bug somehow, because I've gotten it on several items, a couple of different sellers on two different eBay accounts (of mine), and in one case, I had not made ANY purchases from the seller in the last few months. Neither seller was aware they had placed such a limitation, nor could either find that my username was limited in their account, but one seller was able to do a workaround by adding my user ID to an "exceptions list."

~J
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:40 am    Post subject:

MusicalMan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hrh.princess wrote:
Many new sellers put up auctions in order to garner positive feedback. They will take a loss or sell items at cost to bring up their numbers. If a buyer purchases one or 100 items during the same week, their feedback only counts as one. Same with the DSRs.

The answer to get around this is very simple and sellers like it because they save on shipping costs. Simply add additional ebay accounts and you can buy with each one.

I have six ebay accounts (ALL with the mirror service) and can tie up to eight to a single paypal account. It works well for everyone.

The one I'm curious about is the glut of weird small items listed, like a single sticker, paper clip or rubber band, usually for a penny or nickel. And they seem to "sell!" They are mostly Chinese sellers listing them. Is this also some sort of feedback-boosting scam?

Out of curiosity, I just bid one, a Fragile sticker which showed to be located in CA but was from a Chinese seller of musical instruments in Shanghai (other items). I bid the item up from a one cent to six, won it, and even though I have not paid for it yet, got a notice from eBay this morning that the item is PAID FOR and SHIPPED. I will probably go ahead and pay the six cents, then see if an actual sticker ever shows up, but I can't see how they can afford to pay 44 cents plus envelope plus sticker plus eBay fees, recouping only six cents, just to build feedback?
Question

~JJ
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hrh.princess wrote:
Actually, there is a very valid reason for sellers placing a limit on how many items you may purchase from them.

Thank you for clarifying this hrh.princess, it looks like a valid reason. I still believe this reduces their profit (not many users will go through trouble of opening multiple accounts), but if their goal is feedback, it might be worthwhile.
nochkin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I still believe this reduces their profit (not many users will go through trouble of opening multiple accounts)

They don't care about profit at this stage, that's the reason.
I won many items at about 5 cents each with shipping included from China. The only their profit is feedback, not money.
I would do the same thing if I was just starting to sell.
MusicalMan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="nochkin"]
Quote:
I would do the same thing if I was just starting to sell.

Maybe so, but some of the sellers I've seen participating in these listings had high [positive] feedback scores in the hundreds or even thousands!
Cupid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an interesting debate.

I'm not an eBay seller but I know quite a few, apparently feedback rates have been falling recently (over the past few years). In my opinion the system was degraded when eBay removed the ability for sellers to leave negative feedback, sellers can not trust buyer feedback any longer and buyers don't value their own feedback as they know they can only accumulate positives... and consequently they they are even loosing the community spirited nature of leaving positive feedback for sellers. Of course buyers will still leave negative feedback when they are not happy... the result being that any negative feedback has a greater impact on the sellers and they have less ability to offset it with more sales that go well.

I can see the advantages of obtaining and maintaining a good feedback profile but I am sceptical that there are many sellers that will actually pay for it by making a loss on transactions... breaking even more likely... there are many sellers out there that obtain their stock for virtually nothing and can make a profit just from the shipping costs they receive, if they do this on a large scale they can also get very favourable deals on the cost of postage even for international deliveries.

There will always be some that are not commercially astute though.
nochkin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MuscalMan (sorry for taking a letter from your nick, but your nickname is banned on the forum),
Well, you did not say the user id of the seller so I can't say for sure why they did it. But we can guess by looking at it. Maybe their percentage is lower than 98% (required to stay at power seller level) and they need it to be increased. That's a good reason.

Cupid,
Even if you steal it and ship it using stolen postage, eBay and PayPal will eat all fees when you sell something for 5 cents with free shipping.
Not to mention the time you spend listing, packaging and dealing with customers.
Cupid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I am aware of eBay and Paypal fees and the cost of labour to list, pack and post. There are also costs of storage, sometimes high turnover is required to mitigate these...

I was not really addressing the specific case, there obviously is a level at which it is not possible even to break even... I still find it hard to believe any seller is going to deliberately and consistently operate at prices below that.

I actually wasn't talking about stealing stock or postage, only very small volume sellers can get away with that, and not for very long I would not think. I was more referring to obtaining stock as commercial waste, even getting paid to collect it sometimes, and using postage contracts direct with the carriers. I thought some might not be aware of these practices and assume that some sellers are making a loss on items because they themselves would not be able to make a profit at those prices.

The need to keep a good rating to keep Top Rated Seller status is a very good point, that reduces the eBay listing fees on all their items. Keeping it is not just related to good feedback, the DSRs have now been made much more significant for this by eBay.
MoonRocket

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just experienced this limit. Have won 10 items and was about to win the 11th, but then this error occured and my bid didn't get through.

Not too tragic, cause I've won the most wanted items. But if I had not deleted other/less important bids, then it could be a problem.

Is there a way to tell if a seller has set an order limit? That would be helpful for prioritization of bids.

Also, since today I'm a paying member of Gixen community, do I have to always fill the Anti-Bot check in the forum?
Cupid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, Ebay hasn't implemented any way for a buyer to know when these kind of limits have been set. You could ask them to do so, but I wouldn't hold my breath even if they agreed that might be sensible.

The only way to avoid the bot check is to have a Forum id set up for you (which is a different entity from a Gixen id), but that really isn't worthwhile unless you are going to post on this forum a lot.
MoonRocket

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read somewhere (on eBay forums) that not only a seller might set the limit but also eBay can limit orders, for various reasons (new account, payment delays, etc.). I was winning one by one, but wasn't paying straight away (due to the combined shipping option). Perhaps, eBay noticed and intervened...
Cupid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could ask the seller if they imposed a limit and, if they did, why it is an advantage for them.

They might raise the limit as a result, which even if it doesn't help you, might help someone else in the future.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.