Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

Email

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmasella

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject: Email Reply with quote

I would like to know (via email) when Gixen successfully or unsuccessfully bids on an item for me. Ideally it would be nice if Gixen would let me know that my bid isn't going to be good enough so I could re-consider. Obviously this would require Gixen to do a review of all auctions at preset times which could create server processing problems?

Anyway just a thought. I find I am having to monitor the auctions anyway because I'm not sure of my maximum bid. I'd like Gixen to be a set it and forget it tool "unless" Gixen won't be able to bid for me.
Cupid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you ar highlighting the one major problem with sniping.... that being that you need to do more research prior to the auction closing in order to decide what your snipe bid will be... relying on what other bidders do on the auction that you are interested in is really not enough, that way you are more likely to get drawn in and pay more than you need to.

Its for these reasons that I don't think this feature would actually improve the use of gixen.
juangrande

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark is right: even just the process of keeping the current bid updated is so resource-intensive that Mario restricts it to a small number of items. So, what you are suggesting is very unlikely to happen.

I would suggest that you re-think your bidding strategy. The main point of sniping is to prevent other bidders from reacting to your bid; thus, you are in a sense defeating the purpose of sniping if you are adjusting your bid based on other bids. If you spend any time on the eBay Bidding discussion forum, you will find that their mantra is
Quote:
Bid ONCE. Bid your MAX. Bid as LATE in the auction as you feel comfortable.
One regular on the Bidding Board defines "MAX bid" as the amount at which you are RELIEVED when someone outbids you.

I find that using Gixen has trained me to be a more disciplined bidder by forcing me to decide what my MAX mid is well before Gixen places my bid. Using Gixen provides me the additional advantage of not having to be at my computer to monitor the end of the auction. Very Happy

If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else.
--- Yogi Berra
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Ideas All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.