Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

Can manual bids beat Gixen free?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
steel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:05 am    Post subject: Can manual bids beat Gixen free? Reply with quote

I have a paid Gixen account but have been offered a ÂGBP 5 voucher by ebay under another seller account. I am wondering if I place a bid under that account with Gixen free and the snipe time is 5 seconds, is that long enough for a bidder who is watching the auction to see the bid and manually respond?
Cupid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think in order to address this question we should put ourselves in the position of the manual bidder that 'responds' to a bid in the last 30 seconds of an auction.

Firstly, the only way to actually react, and take action as a result, would be to be watching the auction bidding at that time. Doing that and planning to place a later, higher, bid can't really be considered to be 'responding' can it ?... this is because it involves an element of pre-planning in much the same way as scheduling a snipe with a service like Gixen.

Secondly, if what you are prepared to pay as a buyer is higher than the amount of a bid you've already placed on an auction or have scheduled to be placed automatically via a service, then whatever happens in the last few seconds, whether you place that bid manually or not, can't be considered a reaction, it's just you taking responsibility on yourself as to whether you take action to express your true buying preferences, or not.

In conclusion I'd say, it's entirely possible for there to be later bids, whether manual or automated (it makes no difference which they are) but it isn't realistic to describe them as 'responses' to a bid placed 5 or 6 seconds before the end of the auction.
steel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I'll have to test it myself sometime on an auction to find out. I remember doing it years ago and I imagine 5 seconds is cutting it fine, but in any case the item I wanted went for too much.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.