Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

Changing ebay username is not working for me as explained.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
asgardianboy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:53 am    Post subject: Changing ebay username is not working for me as explained. Reply with quote

Hi everyone.

I have tried for the first time to transfer my Gixen Mirror Subscription to a different ebay account from the one I normally use. It worked, but not as explained in the sysad's answers to previous user questions asking about this in the past. I also think I might have found GUI bugs/flaws.

In theory, when you want to use another ebay ID with your Gixen account, you remove all bids, unlink the current ebay account, transfer subscription to new account, confirm transfer by email, link the new account, create new bids, done. This is what I did.

In practice, after I transferred my subscription to my new ebay account and confirmed it by clicking on the confirmation link sent to me by email:

1) The text widget on the home screen indicating my active ebay account was still showing my old account's ID. This is a bug: once I created new bids, the name changed to my new ebay ID. The widget should be updated immediately after the transfer, because that widget is the only one that might show feedback upon subscription transfer (ONCE YOU UNLINK THE ACCOUNT, the Settings page lacks any text widget showing the currently active ebay ID, so you have NO FEEDBACK ON SUBSCRIPTION TRANSFER ON THE SETTINGS SCREEN, AND EVEN WORSE, FEEDBACK ON THE HOME SCREEN IS MISLEADING).

2) I lost some (maybe all) of my Settings (at the very least, the "item ID" and "amount" fields were placed at the bottom of the home screen, when I have always have them be at the top). Aren't settings linked to my Gixen account, and should not be affected by a subscription transfer?

3) The Settings screen showed a text widget clearly stating that my Mirror subscription had expired at the very moment of the transfer. That's bad.

4) Once the transfer was undone, everything above went back to normal.

Now, this does not seem right to me, but I might be missing something.
Mr. Sysad, could you please chime in? What did I wrong?

Thanks to everyone.
Best,
m.
Cupid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you must have been reading instructions given out before the system was changed, a few years ago.

Now your Gixen id is a separate thing from your Ebay id, this was not the case some years ago when you had to provide your Ebay credentials to Gixen in order for it to be able to place bids for you. This has not been the case for many years now.

So, now what you do is provide your Gixen id authority to bid on your Ebay id.

Your Mirror subscription is associated with your Gixen id.

From what you are saying it sounds like what you have done is set up a new Gixen id and transferred your Mirror subscription to that new Gixen id. This is not what you wanted to do as now you will have a redundant Gixen id that you will never use again.

In order to have Gixen bid on a different Ebay account, and not lose any settings it is not necessary to transfer your Mirror subscription, and not even delete and re set up any snipes, all you needed to do was remove the authorisation of your Ebay account from the Settings page and then reauthorise your new Ebay account.

As far as I can tell the other aspects that you think might be defects in the Gixen software are aspects of the misunderstanding as to what is being done and how the system is now designed to work.

Perhaps if you could point us to the old instructions that you followed those should now be removed from the forum since they have evidently caused confusion in this case ?

Last edited by Cupid on Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
asgardianboy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read several discussions on this forum concurring on what should be done to achieve what I wanted. I can't remember exactly which ones, but if you search the forum for "change ebay username" you will get plenty of them.

I haven't tried again to change the ebay username, but by reading your comments (which, btw, I wholeheartedly thank you for), it is now clear to me what I did wrong. Let's see:

On the settings page there is the option "eBay authorization status: Active. Your eBay authorization for eBay account *** expires on ***. Link/Re-authorize Gixen on your eBay account (valid for 18 months)
Unlink eBay account". This text widget shows the ebay username in use, which is what I want to change without altering anything else. I guess that the only thing to do to achieve this would be just unlinking the old ebay username, then relinking to the new one. Correct?

Then, on the settings page, there is the option "Transfer your mirror subscription to another username. Proceed to the username change form: Mirror Transfer Form."---->I guess this option is just to transfer subscriptions between different Gixen users. Right?

Yet, if I transfer my subscription to another Gixen ID, why do settings change? Isn't that a bug? And by doing my subscription transfer, have I really created a new account that I will never use again? The new user account I used does not exist in Gixen ddbb, right? Or was it created automatically? Should that be the case, you can immediately erase it.

Finally, concerning already existing snipes: my understanding is that a change of ebay username would imply that previously created snipes will be performed with the new ebay username. Correct?

Thanks again for your help on this one Cupid.
Best,
m.
Cupid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct in your assertions.

It was because you claimed that settings were changed back to defaults that I suspected (and still do) that you created another Gixen account. You can check whether or not this is the case using this page. All registered Gixen user names certainly do exist in the Gixen database unless and until they are deleted by the user that set them up.

You can delete Gixen accounts, after logging into the account you wish to delete the option is the last one at the bottom of the Settings page.

Mario has said elsewhere that when you change the authorisation it does now update all existing snipes, at least that is the intention, so you should not need to reschedule everything again now.
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:22 pm    Post subject:

asgardianboy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK.
Thanks for your support and thoroughness.
m.
loupgarou

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:52 am    Post subject: Alternating ebay identities? Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification, Cupid.
I found myself with the same problem tonight. Thanks to you, that's now resolved.
BUT I have another - linked - problem:
If in the same time frame, I have to bid on items that require I switch ebay identities back and forth, how can I do it?
Example: an auction ending at 9 p.m. where I need my french identity, another at 9.30 italian, then a french one at 10 p.m. etc...

With the old system I had no problems: placed all bids for one identity, logged out, logged in with the other identity and placed the other bids.
How do I have to proceed now?

REASON WHY: some items need to go to my french address, other to the italian one, I try to avoid ebay and sellers getting mixed up.
Cupid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you can only have one Ebay account associated with each Gixen account, at any one time, you will need to set up more Gixen accounts if you wish to schedule snipes with different Ebay accounts at the same time.

Once you have a Gixen account associated with each Ebay account that you want to use concurrently you can proceed as you would previously have done by logging in and out of each Gixen account and setting up the corresponding snipes separately.
loupgarou

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the answer, Cupid.
I hoped there was some way to avoid setting up more accounts, as this situation occurs only once in a while.
Cupid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that to provide any greater flexibility than this would probably be a step too far for the pricing models that Mario has developed for Mirror subscribers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.