Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

Gixen a Foreign Company?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:33 am    Post subject: Gixen a Foreign Company? Reply with quote

Renewed my mirror subscription a few days ago.

Noticed on my credit card statement I have an $0.08 foreign transaction fee.

When did Gixen become a foreign company? Smile
Cupid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paypal charges for conversion between currencies, not dependent on where the recipient is registered.

If it's on your Credit Card statement that's your card provider charging you, not Paypal, isn't it ?

So, were you paying from a card operating in a different currency ?

Gixen always has been registered as a Canadian company.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve paid with PayPal in US currency for years.

Yes the charge is on my credit card.

This is the first time I’ve ever paid a foreign transaction fee for Gixen. That said it is only 8 cents.
Cupid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really understand what's happened here.

The transaction you've been charged for is from Paypal to your card issuer. I don't see why Paypal would be charging your card in a foreign currency when the transaction is in your own. If it were a charge originating from Paypal it would just be included in the one charge made against your card.

So, it would appear that you may need to ask your credit card company why they are charging you for a conversion that, as far as you are aware, never happened.

I don't believe it has anything to do with where Gixen is registered as a company, that's just where Paypal may eventually pay out if Mario transfers to a local account and wants Canadian Dollars, but then he will be the one paying a transfer fee (to Paypal or his bank depending which currency he asks Paypal to send) for that, not you.

Then again, maybe I just don't understand how Paypal works any more, they do seem to have changing the way things work with some currency conversions and refunds recently.
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:29 pm    Post subject:

mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give your credit card issuer a call. This is highly unusual. Gixen is a Canadian corporation that has an account with Paypal (formally Paypal Canada), however all charges are in USD and I will be very surprised if Paypal passes the information on country of seller to buyer's credit card issuer.

If that's indeed the case here, it's a ripoff your bank (who issued a card) is doing on no basis whatsoever...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PayPal does pass Merchant Info: 4029357733 ON Canada

The credit card company (Elan Financial Services a subsidiary of US Bancorp) says even if the transaction is in US$ if it's outside the country there is a foreign transaction fee. The same card has not charged me in the past for Gixen.

They waved the fee.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not good, it's a pure greed by the bank... there is no justification for this, no increased workload or complication of any kind for them to impose this charge.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.