Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

No snipe due to Shipping Address Country Restricted

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kopalot

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:34 pm    Post subject: No snipe due to Shipping Address Country Restricted Reply with quote

I am in Australia and bidding on a US item 233654814293. My Gixen bid of US$37.89, which was higher then the current bid of US$35 was rejected (on main and mirror) for the reason "AUCTION RESTRICTED: SHIPPING ADDRESS COUNTRY RESTRICTED".
The seller has provided a shipping cost for Australia and Australia is specifically included in the Posting To countries listed.
I've used Gixen to successfully bid on 100's of similar eBay items in the USA and this has never happened.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
kopalot.
stalin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same thing happened to me twice. Last time yesterday, with object 174353663642. In this case too the seller (in the USA) explicitly mentioned shipment to my country (Italy) by the Global Shipping Program, yet my bid failed with the same error message.
I won many other auctions without problems, but now I know that any moment I can lose an important auction.
And if a sniping program is unreliable, it is useless.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The restriction can come both from the seller (even if he specifies the country in the list of shipping countries) and (apparently) eBay, if for whatever reason eBay restricts entire categories for shipping abroad due to legal restrictions.

If you doubt something like this may happen, at the moment the only way to find that is to place a small bid ahead of time. Gixen has no way of finding this out until it tries to submit your bid.
EHT

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Came across this because I was trying to figure out how to enter bids when I have addresses in 3 countries that I receive items at.

I noticed that the shipping costs don't show up correctly for some items unless you change your settings to snipe from that country's specific eBay site before you add the item to your snipes.

After you do, the shipping cost shows correctly, or if for example you choose the US for a UK item shipping preview will show global shipping cost, but if you delete the item and re-add it after changing settings to snipe from UK site, then it shows the local UK delivery costs. It seems like there should be more settings, to easily choose which country you want to bid from for each item that you add. Perhaps this would also solve the problem mentioned here.
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:01 am    Post subject:

Cupid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are able to have items shipped to different countries it is recommended that you do so via using different Ebay ids that each, permanently, have the shipping address set to one address in one country.

That then dictates the use of separate Gixen ids that are linked to those separate Ebay ids. Those Gixen ids can then also have fixed Target settings that correspond to the shipping address of the Ebay ids that they bid on.
EHT

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cupid wrote:
If you are able to have items shipped to different countries it is recommended that you do so via using different Ebay ids that each, permanently, have the shipping address set to one address in one country.

That then dictates the use of separate Gixen ids that are linked to those separate Ebay ids. Those Gixen ids can then also have fixed Target settings that correspond to the shipping address of the Ebay ids that they bid on.

Thank you for this. Not a heavy bidder, so I was thinking I would simply change the 'snipe from' country setting to the correct one before adding the items, and set the shipping address to the correct one as default in eBay and leave it there until the snipe is done. And also only bid on items in one country at a time. Will that work, or is there any reason it might fail due to how Gixen works?
Cupid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe what you suggest should work.

However that's a lot of faffing about that you need to get exactly right, at exactly the right time, and it's impossible to change things after you've won or your bid has been rejected. So, I wouldn't recommend it.
EHT

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cupid wrote:
I believe what you suggest should work.

However that's a lot of faffing about that you need to get exactly right, at exactly the right time, and it's impossible to change things after you've won or your bid has been rejected. So, I wouldn't recommend it.

Thank you. Not a big deal if the bids fail, for me anyway. I'm going to do a test bid on each item as well, so I know that I'm able to bid. Then we'll roll the dice and see how it goes...
EHT

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to report back, I bid on an item in the UK and it worked. I'm in North America and have shipping addresses in eBay in Canada, US, and UK.

I set my eBay shipping address to UK, set Gixen to UK under "Ebay country site" and added the item to my snipe list.

I added the shipping address to my Apple Pay list of shipping addresses as well.

I tested by making a single small bid on the item, which already had quite a few small bids, to make sure it would let my account bid.

The snipe was successful. When I went in to pay, it showed the correct shipping to the UK, and my UK address.
jrandy01

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This just happened to me, on an important auction (extremely rare, one-of-a-kind item). I am livid, to say the least. I am in the US and the seller is in UK, and I have bought from her before - as recently as a couple weeks ago. I don't see any reason at all why eBay would have restricted my bid. I was willing to pay 800 GBP for an item that sold to a single bidder for 75 GBP. This is definitely making me rethink the use of sniping technology.
Cupid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you know the seller, have you tried asking them if they changed the areas that they are willing to send things ?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cupid wrote:
Since you know the seller, have you tried asking them if they changed the areas that they are willing to send things ?

Yes, I just wrote to her right away but she is claiming to have no idea. What a devastating situation - I'm sure that I cannot complain to eBay directly. I guess I am back to watching auctions in real-time and bidding in the last minute Neutral
Cupid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What category of item was it ?

As Mario mentions above, it appears that sometimes Ebay imposes the restriction due to what it judges to be regulatory barriers, for example anything that could be regarded as a weapon is likely to be restricted for international sale, but other categories also exist, I'm sure.

You can certainly complain to Ebay, as to why your bid was rejected by them, but customer support staff often don't seem to have the level of access that would be required to Ebay systems to be able to give you the level of information that would be useful.
jrandy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cupid wrote:
What category of item was it ?

As Mario mentions above, it appears that sometimes Ebay imposes the restriction due to what it judges to be regulatory barriers, for example anything that could be regarded as a weapon is likely to be restricted for international sale, but other categories also exist, I'm sure.

Thanks - no, I don't think that was it... it's a poster, looks like the classification is "Entertainment Memorabilia > Music Memorabilia".
Cupid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok,

Perhaps worth a try complaining to Ebay then... but, as I say, that's usually a waste of time in terms of actually resolving the issue... but if enough people complain eventually someone at Ebay might take a closer look at the reasons why their software rejects bids... after all there are more than one loser in this situation, even their own fee collection is lower.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:15 am    Post subject: jrandy Reply with quote

Cupid wrote:
Ok,

Perhaps worth a try complaining to Ebay then... but, as I say, that's usually a waste of time in terms of actually resolving the issue... but if enough people complain eventually someone at Ebay might take a closer look at the reasons why their software rejects bids... after all there are more than one loser in this situation, even their own fee collection is lower.

Thanks - I guess it wouldn't hurt. I was worried I might be penalized (not sure exactly what their policy on the sniping is). I appreciate the advice!
Cupid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ebay as an organisation are aware of Gixen, there is no sanction that they impose on it's users. That's not to say that all Ebay employees are equally aware, mind you, especially not in customer facing roles.

They don't operate a sniping service in house, but have always recognised that 'sniping is part of the Ebay experience'.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:54 am    Post subject: jrandy Reply with quote

Cupid wrote:
Ebay as an organisation are aware of Gixen, there is no sanction that they impose on it's users. That's not to say that all Ebay employees are equally aware, mind you, especially not in customer facing roles.

They don't operate a sniping service in house, but have always recognised that 'sniping is part of the Ebay experience'.

I'll definitely communicate with them over the week and report back what I find. I cannot think of any reason why the results were so different since the seller did not restrict my country (?)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: jrandy Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Cupid wrote:

I'll definitely communicate with them over the week and report back what I find. I cannot think of any reason why the results were so different since the seller did not restrict my country (?)

Just as a follow-up - I found out from someone in a third country that he experienced the same problem with this listing, so thankfully it was nothing to do with the snipe... a bid entered either way would not have worked. The seller was able to re-list due to this error. Mario is right, if you have any suspicion that your bid might not enter correctly it's safest to put in a little nibble ahead of time! Thanks again.
jrandy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the item I wanted (which was re-listed without any country restrictions) I was able to do a test bid on before setting my snipe. No issues, and the test bid was successful - but the snipe still said there was a shipping restriction I literally watched as something I bid 1,000 GBP on sold for 130 GBP. Needless to say, I will not be using a snipe tool any longer.
Cupid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you share the auction number with Mario, so that he can take the issue up directly with Ebay ?
jrandy01

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cupid wrote:
Can you share the auction number with Mario, so that he can take the issue up directly with Ebay ?

Of course- I just emailed him the details.
Cupid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.
jrandy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mario - by chance were you able to discover anything on your end that caused the snipe to fail? (test bid worked successfully, but snipe did not) Thank you.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrandy wrote:
Hi Mario - by chance were you able to discover anything on your end that caused the snipe to fail? (test bid worked successfully, but snipe did not) Thank you.

Can you please email me the item id? I don't recall an email from you, but it's possible I overlooked it, it's a busy time.
krazykipa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if you have multiple global addresses, the error can still occur. In order to resolve this, you must change your primary shipping address to match the item country within your eBay profile settings: accountsettings.ebay.com/uas/addresses

Once I did this, I was able to bid/snipe on items that resulted in errors before. HTH.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a notice from eBay that this was a bug and that they fixed it. Let me know if you still experience this issue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.