Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

Lost an auction but Gixen thinks I won, why is that?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sootica

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:23 am    Post subject: Lost an auction but Gixen thinks I won, why is that? Reply with quote

Hi, wondering if someone more technically minded than me knows why this happened?

I had a snipe set up for an item, which sold for more than my max bid. Not a problem; I knew how high I was willing to go, if someone else bids higher, they'll win.

eBay shows me as having lost, and when I look at the bid history on eBay, the winning bid was ÂGBP 23.75.

The strange thing is that my account info on Gixen shows that I won the item, and I also got an email from Gixen saying my status was High Bidder with a price of ÂGBP 8.50 and that I got the item for such-and-such an amount less than my maximum bid.

Now, looking at the bidding history on eBay, there was a point where the highest bid was ÂGBP 8.00, so I guess that's where Gixen has got the ÂGBP 8.50 from? But there were several subsequent bids, so the item sold for higher than that.

I'm just curious as to what might have happened? I know I've not won (and didn't expect to, given the bidding went above my max bid), but I'm wondering why Gixen thinks I won? I'm not upset about it or anything, just really nosy!

The item number on eBay was 283952167764.

Thanks!
Cupid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well something isn't quite right in all of this.

The price was indeed ÂGBP 8.50 until the last minute of the auction when the bid of ÂGBP 15.75 outbid the ÂGBP 15.00 that was placed on the 22 July. But why Gixen should think you won for that amount is a bit of a mystery since the ÂGBP 15.00 was obviously not placed by it.

Did Gixen place your bid or was the price too high for it to do so ? It's not clear from your explanation.

I can see that the bids of ÂGBP 20.00, ÂGBP 20.75 and ÂGBP 22.75 are all potential Gixen bids since they were placed within the last 15 seconds of the auction.

All three of those were outbid by later bids, which on Gixen is usually termed 'Outsniped', most likely from later scheduled snipes at higher prices rather than reactions. However, it's also possible that the last two (ÂGBP 22.75 6 seconds before the end and the winning bid whatever that was 2 seconds before the end) were reactions to the ÂGBP 20.00 bid having been placed 15 seconds before the end or indeed the ÂGBP 15.75 that was placed 29 seconds before the end.

When Gixen places a bid it gets an immediate indication whether or not it is a high bid and what the resulting auction price is, and each of those losing bids (ÂGBP 20.00, ÂGBP 20.75 and ÂGBP 22.75) would have received that indication had they been placed by Gixen.

It doesn't mean they are winning bids at the end of the day though, of course, since, as in this case, later higher bids might be placed. In order for Gixen to know whether or not that has happened it needs to check the auction again after it has completed. Sometimes that separate process does fail and Gixen then does sometimes think that the auction was won when, in fact, it wasn't.

None of that explains why it might think the auction was won for ÂGBP 8.50 though... it would only explain why it might have thought it was won for ÂGBP 16.75, ÂGBP 20.75 or ÂGBP 21.75 depending on which bid it actually placed since those would have been the auction prices after the bids of 20.00, ÂGBP 20.75 and ÂGBP 22.75 were placed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.