Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

Two factor authentication

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lunarjetm

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:38 am    Post subject: Two factor authentication Reply with quote

Hi are there any plans to introduce two factor authentication to the Gixen login process ? I feel that security fears are a big reason why people are put off using sniping services. Google Authenticator would make me a little happier about using the service.
Cupid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I wouldn't want it as a mandatory requirement for the use of the service as, in my experience, there are too many issues with all the implementations that I have seen that cause users to lose access to their accounts, sometimes for extended periods and often at very inconvenient times for them.

I wouldn't have an issue with it being an option for users that really wanted it though.

It's perhaps worth considering what is being protected, Gixen has the ability to place bids on Ebay for you, and that can be stopped easily by logging into your Ebay account and revoking even that authorisation from there. In terms of sensitive personal data in many cases it also has your email address and your country of residence, unlike Ebay it has no ability to take any funds from any of your accounts even when Paypal has been used to pay for subscriptions (other than, I suppose, the up to $6 that pay per use users may hold on account, there's a minority that do use that subscription option). Gixen can't even be used to change where any purchases are sent. In short, it is quite hard to see how Gixen is ever going to be a target of much criminal activity when there is so little to be gained from it and the servers are well protected.
GixenSteveH

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would strongly oppose any move to add 2FA, which in my experience with other services is merely a way to prevent the legitimate user accessing their account without actually providing any tangible benefits. As Cupid says, why would anyone want to hack Gixen anyway?
LunarJetmn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it should be given as a option- not made compulsory. Most reputable sites tend to have it these days.

Why would anyone want to hack Gixen ? All sorts of mischevious reasons- you probably don't want to know.
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:53 pm    Post subject:

GixenSteveH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if it must happen definitely make it optional - with "NO" as the default!
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't have to happen, and so far I don't see a need. Very rarely do I see any Gixen account broken into. It's hard to get advantage of Gixen account without access to eBay account.

Also, this would raise support issues... a lot.
gtax

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mario wrote:
It doesn't have to happen, and so far I don't see a need. Very rarely do I see any Gixen account broken into. It's hard to get advantage of Gixen account without access to eBay account.

Also, this would raise support issues... a lot.

hi Mario, appreciate your service and the work you have put toward it. have used it since 2018. I know this thread is extremely old—but the need for at least optional 2FA is there, though. I realize the only thing someone could do upon gaining access to your account is what Gixen does best; but there is still the chance they could make you liable to pay for something(s) or cause your eBay account to be disabled for non-payment. you mention an additional support burden but other than the initial implementation I fail to see how an option for 2FA causes that. those that understand it and want it turn it on. those that do not care or don’t know do not

there are some extremely flimsy arguments against 2fa in this thread. if you don’t want to implement it because you can’t spare the time I truly won’t fault you, but please don’t use the lack of need as a reason or buy into it ‘just being a hinderance to users’
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Ideas All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.