Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

Bids Failing with new engine

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:33 am    Post subject: Bids Failing with new engine Reply with quote

Have had last 3 bids fail after authorizing new sniping engine. All 3 ended lower than my bid, and well withing bid increment

In an effort to fix it, I unlinked and re-linked authorization including legacy, but your settings does not let me authorize legacy

Please change settings to authorize legacy, I don't want to keep losing auctions on the new engine because it is failing

The old engine was fine no need to change things
Cupid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you please provide the examples where it's failed, with the Gixen status given, so that Mario has a chance to fix what issues there are ?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In history, first one which failed with Bid Under Asking price, 2 entries in the history, max bid was 16.06 ended at 14.00, I am based in UK

303472331207 Revell SS-100 Gigant with Transporter and V2 Model Kit 1 72 (by bengalmikito) 2/7/20 12:02:53 PM UTC 0.00 14.00 GBP 0 ENDED 2/7/20 01:58:17 AM UTC 2/7/20 01:58:41 AM UTC

303472331207 Revell SS-100 Gigant with Transporter and V2 Model Kit 1 72 (by bengalmikito) 2/7/20 12:02:53 PM UTC 16.06 14.00 GBP 0 BID UNDER ASKING PRICE
Why did I lose this auction? 2/7/20 01:58:41 AM UTC 2/8/20 03:39:40 PM UTC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second failure is different, nothing appears in my history, unkown error

Revell SS-100 Gigant with Transporter and V2 Model Kit 1 72 (by bengalmikito (93))
View Item Description S&H: 6.00 GBP (View Shipping Information)
ENDED 15.06 12.50 GBP (4 bids) UNKNOWN ERROR (4)
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:59 am    Post subject:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Third failure is different, I purged this so don't have record in gixen, no records exist in the history. Bids similar to other 2 failures, final status was shown as "None"
Cupid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you,

The first one, has the message:

Quote:
This seller is currently away until 11 Feb, 2020. If you make a purchase, there may be a delay in processing your order.

and since the second, that you haven't given the auction number for, is with the same seller I imagine that did too.

... we have seen that before, with Ebay claiming it's 'Unavailable', which has been requested to be investigated by Ebay engineers. Perhaps we need to start thinking about suggesting that people don't schedule snipes with auctions that have these messages on them, at the moment.

Did you have any snipes, with other sellers, during this time that were handled as you would expect ?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your suspicion is correct, all the ones that failed are from same seller.

I did have bids from other sellers, but no winning bids, although my bids were not high enough.

The ones that failed seem to have ended lower than expected so it seems manual bids can be placed, but some problem with automated bids
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally, on my second attempt (apology for that), made necessary modifications to actually display the error as reported by eBay, instead of "UNKNOWN ERROR".

There are some issues that I am waiting eBay to respond to ("item not available") and most of these unknown errors are caused by this. Note that this is still a relatively rare error, I see less than 20 or so in the past 24 hours, out of tens of thousands of snipes submitted. But this will be resolved nevertheless.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it happens every time when auction is in this state for me, so statistics don't tie up if it is a small amount of auctions in this state. This has caused an imense amount of grief. I decided to manually snipe relisted item, the same auction item, and eBays web site just slowed to a crawl at end and my bid was just too late even when giving a reasoable lead time. I have lost this now 4 times in a row, when my bid is above winning. If you could please pile on as much pressure on eBay as possible. I manually bid on a different item from same seller and bid was accepted, Sadly an item I didn't particularly want, to test before placing my main bid. If you are using eBay API there's probably some obscure unknown setting you need to appy, I have used it myself, not on bidding for items, but there are just so many options and data, it way over complicated

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it seems to be happening to every auction that has this away message for me, that is not one in thousands, maybe of total number but not the correct way to apply statistics it is a political way

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Anonymous"]it seems to be happening to every auction that has this away message for me, that is not one in thousands, maybe of total number but not the correct way to apply statistics

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry I thought I was editing my post, didn't mean to post multiple replies
Cupid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously if you suffer one of these failures the rate on your particular account is much higher than the overall rate.

For the vast majority the failure rate is 0%, but it wouldn't be accurate to quote a failure rate that low either.

The rate of failure for an individual account is looking quite likely to depend on how many auctions from the same seller they have set up snipes for and also how many other sellers (where the issue is not present) that they also snipe.

In summary, I think an accusation of misuse of statistics is somewhat unfair in this instance.

You might be correct about some obscure setting that needs changing on the Gixen side... but I think it's reasonable to give Mario the space and opportunity to find out, in collaboration with the Ebay engineers, without attacking him directly. I think he's doing the best job possible in these circumstances and, as always, he's being open and honest about it. I don't think we can ask for much more than that.

Last edited by Cupid on Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:00 am; edited 1 time in total
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not going to ignore the issue, I assure you of that. We may have to wait a bit longer for eBay to investigate, but it's not going to be ignored. I don't think eBay wants issues like this ignored either.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.