Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

3 seconds or 6 seconds on Mirror

View previous topic :: View next topic  
1Gambler

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: 3 seconds or 6 seconds on Mirror Reply with quote

I understood that subscribing to Mirror allowed the 3 second option to be applied to the snipe; however, after I subscribed, Gixen told me the 6 second option was better and recommended NOT to use the 3 second option. So other than using two servers to bid instead of one, what advantages does Mirror give me?
juangrande

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The real advantage of a mirror subscription is that your bid will be sent to eBay from two different servers (one in Chicago and one in Miami). This redundancy means that the chance your bid will not make it to eBay will be nearly zero.

Having a mirror subscription makes it nearly certain that your bid will be placed on eBay.

If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else.
--- Yogi Berra
Cupid

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also having a Mirror subscription allows you to set offsets greater than 6, which for the auctions I take an interest in is an advantage because with it I gain the advantage of both the bid increment rule and the first bid rule to win more often against snipers that are prepared to bid almost the same amount as I am.
Rickajho

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had gixen tell me what to do so I'm not sure where that's coming from regarding "it" telling you not to use a 3 second offset. Use the offset that you want, however you will find several threads in the Support forum about this regarding the pro's and con's of using longer - or shorter - offset times. Personally I'm not convinced paring the offset down to a few seconds matters all that much. Mario added the capability of variable offsets because people kept asking for it but there is no magic behind your choice.

The bottom line is that a short offset will never beat an outstanding proxy bid that is higher than your snipe bid. A high outstanding bid is still going to win if you place your snipe 3 seconds before the auction close or 6 seconds before the auction close. People seem to misunderstand this point - a lot. No matter high money still wins.

The biggest plus of paying for the mirror service is... the mirror service. You are dealing with a timining criticial thing here and as we all know poop happens all over the internet that results in glitches, hung page loads etc. You have two servers now at two different physical locations both placing your snipe bid. If there is a failure for any reason of one of them to do so the other server get through. Mario now reports a mirrored account is 100% reliable.

For the other added features of a mirror account just click on the Home tab. It's all listed there.

Rick
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject:

badnell

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time ended: 25 Aug 2018 at 6:32:06PM BST
u***0(201) ÂGBP 27.77 25 Aug 2018 at 6:32:01PM BST --
u***0(201) ÂGBP 27.77 25 Aug 2018 at 6:32:01PM BST --
e***l(4712) ÂGBP 27.00 25 Aug 2018 at 6:32:06PM BST --

3 or 6 secs? 2 secs would have been enough here for my win under the bid increment - sweet!
Cupid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make, badnell ?

Is it that the user with 4712 feedbacks was able to react in 5 seconds, if so I'd disagree that bid was decided well before 5 seconds before the end of the auction.

Or is it that your bid would have been better placed later, if so I disagree again, because if the price had risen to GBP 27 as a result of that other bid coming in earlier than yours then your bid would have been rejected.

So, I'm assuming you are saying that five seconds before the end was perfect for this snipe, as you chose and as worked for you... with which I tend to agree... any offset more than 6 seconds and less than 15 is good for me.
willtrythis1st

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:30 pm    Post subject: 3 seconds decisive in this win ? would you analyse same ? Reply with quote

My first try with mirror and 3 seconds and I WON, but was this offset decisive ?
How stressful that was to plan this to WIN
Item 283648690053 25 watchers 15 bids
first, I would never understand why some bid days before, to see the price steadily rise !
I won at 3:36:06 it ended 03:05:08
Seems to me 3**8 bidded manually at 3:35:03 so 5 secs before ending,
because it went from 161,5 to 162 or could it have been her maximum bid ?
(as it seemed to be for 3***t) ?
When I plan to win I set a very large margin for my max amount of snipe
So Mark could point out I had to win, regardless when the offset was

but correct me if I’m wrong, if I had chosen a 8 seconds offset,
if really 3**8 did bid manually 5 seconds before ending,
she could have entered an unreasonably high amount and win over me ?
But my offset of 3 seconds put my snipe à 2 seconds : nothing she could do

I did win because I had the higher amount, but also with Gixen mirror short offset ?
kindest
Cupid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gather from the timings you are looking at this auction from one of the European sites, but not the one I use (.co.uk).

Whichever is being used I think a few of the details, including times, have been incorrectly transcribed. There were, for instance, 24 bids.

As is always the case on Ebay the winning bid was the highest accepted.

I can see that the bid of 162.00 placed 5 seconds before the auction end was placed 8 seconds after their previous bid of 159.00 which, I agree, would usually indicate a manual bidder.

Clearly if that is what they were doing they wasted their time as they didn't end up winning and indeed the bids they placed, being exactly the same as earlier ones would have immediately been indicated as not high enough to win, even at the time they were placed, by the Ebay web interface, whichever site they used.

So, I guess the question is what might have happened if what turned out to be the final winning bid amount of 164.50 had been placed before that second to last bid of 162.00 was placed?

Well, the price would have already been 164.50 when they came to place their final bid so they would not have had the option of placing a bid of 162. Their bid might have been rejected by Ebay if they were pushing the button to confirm that bid or they may have had enough time to choose another higher amount, I don't think any of us can be sure.

At the end of the day the sensible way of bidding, whatever the timing, whether manual or automated (via a service like Gixen) is to bid the highest amount that you are happy to bid and bid only once, if the bidder we are talking about didn't do that perhaps they will learn that lesson, at least. Once they've done that we can start considering, the always secondary aspect, as to what the timing should be...
Askitca

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject: 3 second Reply with quote

Does the 3 second bid option work or is it glitchy?? I too have lost auctions were I had beaten the high bidder with my Gixen snipe but that 6 second window allowed them enough time to put a last bid in manually... I bought a subscription to use this option... but it tells me not to use it...
Cupid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 3 second Reply with quote

It's not been reported by anyone else as not placing bids at the correct time, so I think the evidence, at the moment, is that over the past few years it has worked fine.

You do of course have to set both your offsets at 3 second before you are going to get a 3 second snipe very often as an offset that is higher results in an earlier bid which blocks any one that is scheduled for later.

Also you are of course more likely to find that your bid is not placed because others have already placed their bids before yours.. but that's not a 'glitch' its to be expected.

The reason that I don't use it is because you are biding later you are also more likely to get caught out by the bid increment rule which dictates that even if you bid is higher than the current price, if its not at least one bid increment more it still gets rejected by Ebay, that can get frustrating when you bid a lot on items that attract many snipers who all agree quite closely on what the items are worth to them.

Askitca wrote:
in manually

... have you evidence for that, could it not just have been that they always intended to place a later higher bid, perhaps automatically, via a service as you do... in which case, as is usual, it wouldn't be the timing that is the issue but the amount.
Askitca

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol.. I don’t care if someone put a snipe bid 6 days before me... I don’t care if some uses auction sniper and beats me...I don’t care if someone bid 10 times what I’m willing to pay... I paid for a subscription to Gixen and just want to know if I use the 3 second bid option .. If it is reliable and works!??! A pop up advised me not to use it to leave it at 6 seconds. If that’s the case I would have just used the “free versionâ€
Cupid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK then, short answer:

Yes, it's reliable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Impressions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.