Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

AWARE OF PROBLEMS, WORKING ON IT

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:51 am    Post subject: AWARE OF PROBLEMS, WORKING ON IT Reply with quote

The main Gixen database server suffered a hard drive failure. Stand-by server is now operational. Still working on minor issues, will post details later.

Mirror server worked fine during this time.

Please do not email me unless necessary, I will post updates here.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I missed a bid at 13:30 CEST. Is because the server was down?
I use Gixen free account.

Thank you
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely yes, downtime was between Oct 13, 2019, 4:27AM PDT and Oct 13, 2019, 07:45AM PDT, which corresponds to 1.27pm - 4.27pm CEST.
Blagbox

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back!

Whilst some people got very uppity about the downtime, I think most of us realise it was merely an inconvenience.

Thank you for rectifying the problem swiftly, however, please try not to let it happen too often - I had to do some tedious chores in my normal Gixen time! Wink
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:23 am    Post subject:

DBSDBS

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:53 am    Post subject: A problem with server down Reply with quote

Hello Mario,

I'm agree that such things happens...

I'm agree too that the project have to be supported.

But you have pointed the support ammount.

All of us that believed you and have paid, are not guilty for a such problems, but we got looses...

I thing that a simple "I'm sorry" here is not a proffesional.

This is my opinion.

If you do not like it - delete my account.
Blackadder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: A problem with server down Reply with quote

So you are complaining that a free service has had a minor outage and you have been inconvenienced?

But you can't (or won't) pay $6 per year to have the backup of the mirror server (which worked throughout the outage)?

I think Gixen is a fantastic service and is amazing value. And I think "I'm sorry that the free service I provide stopped working for a few hours" is more than enough from Mario.
Oz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the years Gixen has been pretty consistent in what it's set out to do. The interface could use some QOL improvements but... Come on for $6 a year you can't complain. Other software I searched years ago ware more expensive, unreliable or not up front with what they were doing with my eBay account info.

I guess there are always haters on the internet
Craigblumus

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mario,

Thank you for managing Gixen for us. Well worth $6 a year.

HDD failures happen. Another good reason for supporting the mirror service.

Best wishes from the south coast of France.
Fidiusr

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:32 pm    Post subject: Outage Reply with quote

Blackadder:
Very well put!
Mario does a fantastic job and offers a valuable service
For a very meagre amount!

Larry
Sologeoff

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:18 pm    Post subject: Well Done for a very consistent & professional service Reply with quote

Hi Mario
Thank you so much for this very consistent & professional service you offer for such a great price.
1: A fact of life man made products fail after a period of time.
2: They may inconvenience some guests who are not prepare to pay for this magnificent service of a mirrored service which worked during this mechanical breakdown.
3: Mario does a fantastic job and offers a valuable service For a very meagre amount.
4: it is unfortunate that there will always people in this world that you cannot please.
5: Keep up the great work Mario.
6: All the best from Australia
Geoff
Dolbajob

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:28 pm    Post subject: Too many outages to be a technical issue Reply with quote

These outages are intentional to bring on more paying customer. PR tactic. Nothing less.[/list]
Laupetre

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:51 pm    Post subject: Fantastic service Reply with quote

Then don’t use it.
Annon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: A problem with server down Reply with quote

You Sir... Are what they technically call.. A complete dickhead. If I could delete your account I would.

DBSDBS wrote:
Hello Mario,

All of us that believed you and have paid, are not guilty for a such problems, but we got looses...

This is my opinion.

KevinSanders

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Too many outages to be a technical issue Reply with quote

Dolbajob wrote:
These outages are intentional to bring on more paying customer. PR tactic. Nothing less.[/list]

Utter nonsense. These very rare outages are the reason we pay for the mirror site.
It is a brilliant, inexpensive, reliable service which I have used for years.
Mario could legitimately charge for the basic service, but he doesn't. A breath of fresh air in this grabbit world.
learningtocodenow

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:56 pm    Post subject: Yeah Reply with quote

They probably did it to get people to sign up. Way to have an error then say hey if you don't like it pay. Yes it is true you should play to have better service. For the system to crash and then to say you need to pay is ludicrous.
johnd5602

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: AWARE OF PROBLEMS, WORKING ON IT Reply with quote

mario wrote:
The main Gixen database server suffered a hard drive failure. Stand-by server is now operational. Still working on minor issues, will post details later.

Mirror server worked fine during this time.

Please do not email me unless necessary, I will post updates here.

You do a great Job, I have used your service for years.
The free service is unbelievable value for money!
IMHO well worth a small donation to help with the service being sustainable.

$6 for the mirror service is very good value for those who like cheap insurance cover, like to sleep at night and roam around on holidays knowing their interests are being cared for.

Keep up the good work thank you
Kevin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the explanation and I appreciate the transparency.

I can see why the free users are frustrated, but I bet they saved a bunch using a free service...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: A problem with server down Reply with quote

This kind of posts (opinions) in such a forum are really "PROFFESIONAL" Very Happy
Forum moderators do their job "fantastic" Laughing

Annon wrote:
You Sir... Are what they technically call.. A complete dickhead. If I could delete your account I would.

DBSDBS wrote:
Hello Mario,....

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for all the posts supporting Gixen.
Mario does an outstanding job and provides a valuable service for minimal cost.
For $6 per year users have the option to sign up for the mirror service which continued to work fine during the outage.
I am not aware of any other service that comes close to providing this level of value.
I am a very happy customer of Gixen.
Mario - a very sincere thank you for all your hard work in providing this service.
Nesoj

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess they are not teaching that 'Beggars can't be choosers' in school anymore. Sad

Subscribing to a fully optional, free service and then complaining ??? Confused

Guess it this modern 'I am entitled to everything for free' syndrome Rolling Eyes

Keep up the good work, Mario
joiedecollage

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:39 pm    Post subject: Gixen service Reply with quote

I used to use another service for my eBay bids and it cost me a fortune. One day I discovered Gixen. A FREE service??!!?? I'm in. Saved tons of money over the years. Then, Mario asked people to sign up for the mirror service as funds were needed to maintain Gixen. Personally, I could never figure out how he did it for free. I happily signed up. Six dollars? For a whole year? How can anybody possibly complain?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Yeah Reply with quote

learningtocodenow wrote:
They probably did it to get people to sign up. Way to have an error then say hey if you don't like it pay. Yes it is true you should play to have better service. For the system to crash and then to say you need to pay is ludicrous.

Yeah no. I’ve been using the free service for over 6 years with VERY few interruptions before I recently subscribed. I can’t even remember the last time there was a major outage. If you truly depend on this service (which btw is provided to you as a COURTESY) then you should consider shelling out the big bucks of $6 a year to support it and provide yourself that extra insurance for unplanned outages like this.

Kindly stay in your own lane.
allthepretties

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mario! All good these things happen! Your doing an amazing job and I have used Gixen for many years now.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read all the comments. For the user who said is a paid user, please let me know the item id(s) that failed. Mirror server was unaffected, so your snipes shouldn't have failed.

As for the comment that I do this intentionally... well, not sure how to defend against that. Hard drives (or in this case SSD drive) do die occasionally.

The criticism I haven't heard, and could be guilty of - the downtime could have been reduced with some more planning ahead of time, I admit that. I am looking into that.
9littlebees

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me add my voice to those saying thanks for the service and don't waste any time or energy on the haters. Of course hard drives fail, and I think 3 hours of outage is a pretty short period of time. Greetings from Germany.
Jayne

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:51 pm    Post subject: I love Gixon Reply with quote

Hi Mario I don't know how you are supposed to predict that these things will happen and it seems that the complainers are the free users. I used Gixen for a short time for free then paid just over GBP 9 for 2 years which is great value. I love Gixon.
Love from UK.
Hfrost

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:38 pm    Post subject: WTF Reply with quote

Dolbajob wrote:

REALLY Rolling Eyes ???? You should be ashamed of yourself “dolbajob” et. al. of the kind.

You pay your money - you make your choice.

If you’d rather free-load then “vote with your feet” and walk on - I think you have some Stones on you (and not in a good way) to complain about a free service.

Mario - well done, Sir. Please keep up the good work. I’m happy to pay - one good snipe can pay for years of your service!
GranJ

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:48 pm    Post subject: Mirror Subscription Reply with quote

I use Gixen very infrequently and would be happy to make a small donation when I win an auction rather than subscribing on a monthly basis for a service I'm not using. This needs to be a VERY simple option preferably via PayPal.
Lonestar

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mario, these things happen. No sweat. Keep up the good work, and thanks again for everything Smile Paul

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mario wrote:
The criticism I haven't heard, and could be guilty of - the downtime could have been reduced with some more planning ahead of time, I admit that. I am looking into that.

Would it be possible to monitor your storage drives with an inspection and monitoring app such as CrystalDiskInfo, DriveDX, smartmontools, etc. Usually there are performance indicators which predict the failure of a drive, and estimate remaining lifetime.
Anon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing crybabies should code their own gixen if they're not happy
InkKni

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not use Gixen very often, that is why I paid for 10 day subscription. And two my bids were not placed on the 13.10.19. So, what is the point to pay if it protects nothing?
RW

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Gixen free just one time and immediately decided to subscribe to support this great service and have only used it once since then, which has been a couple months. And not only did I subscribe, but I chose to pay the $8 non-recurring price because it was more. Shame on any of you with the balls to sit here and complain about your free service, you are ungrateful leaches and contribute nothing to society, just like you contribute nothing to Gixen...I don't see any paid members complaining, it's interesting how that works.
linencupboard

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:02 am    Post subject: Outage problems Reply with quote

Love Gixen - for $6 a year it provides an excellent service and has saved me well over the annual fee that I pay. So all the FREE users lost out - as someone else on here has said you don't get something for nothing. Pay up, or shut up
k1ngad

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a great service .
If you dont want uncertainty PAY THE $6 for gods sake .
RW

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: A problem with server down Reply with quote

I'd like to delete you, you useless sack of shit!

DBSDBS wrote:
Hello Mario,

This is my opinion.

InkKni

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:07 am    Post subject: Date correction Reply with quote

Sorry, it was on 12.10.19.

Overall Gixen provides good service. I used it for free in the past and if any glitch happened I thought - well, its free service I cannot ask more. But when I pay (even a very little amount), I would expect less glitches?
eebeeweebeegix

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glitches are a fact of life, and not restricted to the digital world. Plus, there are companies out there that make you pay through the nose to enjoy theirs.

Thank you Mario for your continued efforts in maintaining both free and reasonably-priced services.
Steve

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just another message in support of this excellent, extremely reasonably priced service. The selfish cheapskates who are posting in their underwear need to get out more.
Bobbi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:56 am    Post subject: Downtime Reply with quote

Just my 2¢ -- people shouldn't complain when a free service has a little downtime occasionally. I think the free service is great and, if they want super great, they should just pay for it.
TheSeeker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:04 am    Post subject: Downtime Reply with quote

Mario,

Huge fan of your service!

Read this on a coffee mug once.
To error is human, but to really screw up you need a computer.
$hit happens!

Nobody can predict hardware failures.

Thank you for sharing your vision and keep up the great work!!!
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

InkKni wrote:
I do not use Gixen very often, that is why I paid for 10 day subscription. And two my bids were not placed on the 13.10.19. So, what is the point to pay if it protects nothing?

Can you please email me and include item ids?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mario, I work in IT support for a company with thousands of servers, and am curious about the details of the outage:

Are you running a RAID? What type?
Did you get prior warnings of the drive failure?
Are you running on a physical host or a cloud server?
If cloud hosted, who is the supplier?

FWIW, I think this service is a bargain. I was previously running some sniping software locally, but after losing a couple of bids because my PC crashed, I figured it wasn't worth the hassle and purchased a two years subscription. No regrets.
19seamans

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:34 am    Post subject: Downtime Reply with quote

Thanks Mario. Long time user of $6 mirror. Mirror snipes more than paid for mirror. Great service. Thanks from Cape Cod
wilberger

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject: Downtime Reply with quote

I too would like to know:

Are you running a RAID? What type?
Did you get prior warnings of the drive failure?
Are you running on a physical host or a cloud server?
If cloud hosted, who is the supplier?

Please advise.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No raid, when this database server was first instated RAID was not supported for SSD drives. Gixen uses slave database servers on different physical hosts. That said, this was a dedicated server, as all the other Gixen servers are. No prior warnings whatsoever.

Gixen does not use cloud. Call me old-fashioned, but I have doubts about privacy and security of keeping customer data in the cloud.
wilcastillo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:49 pm    Post subject: Seriously people - Are you complaining about a FREE Service? Reply with quote

Hi Mario,

Thank you for managing Gixen for all of us. We LOVE the service provided.

People dont seem to see, understand and comprehend the amount of money and the time they save by using the Gixen Sniper.

I've been a paying customer for years. Dont use it very often but within the few 3 or 4 Sniper wins every year I probably well recover the $6/year fee. Just well worth $6 a year. Not counting winning those auctions that end at crazy hours of the night or morning [UGH] Smile

Hard Drive failures happen and will continue to occur, this wont be the last - it's a fact of life and the computer world we live in.
If they want security and assurance, then they need to support the mirror service. That's all.

Thanks for the hard work.
From St. Louis, Missouri !
Nick

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:26 am    Post subject: Gixen Outage Reply with quote

Having read some of these comments, I feel the need to add my opinion. I have just discovered Gixen, and not (yet) paid for the mirror service, as was trying it out first. I have so far used it twice, once very successfully, and the second time exactly when the service was down. I therefore lost out on a bit that I would definitely have won.

A fully accept that this was a risk I took by not subscribing to the mirror service. I think that this service is OUTSTANDING, and I am amazed that you can offer it for free. The fact that people are complaining is mind-boggling! I am really grateful for the service you provide, and am about to subscribe to the mirror service. Everybody else who uses this service should show some gratitude as well. To suggest that you caused the outage deliberately to get people to pay is verging on clinical paranoia.

Thank you Mario once again!
Mynde

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Too many outages to be a technical issue Reply with quote

Dolbajob wrote:

Dolbajob - you gonna stay dolbajob all the time.

I use paid services. I spend a day for coffee & cigarettes more than for GIXEN yearly.
If you can't afford yourself $6 yearly - you shouldn't use this service
unessential

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this why I got an email saying my gixen mirror expired, yet when I tried to log in I didn't get the wait time?
Cupid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unessential wrote:
Is this why I got an email saying my gixen mirror expired, yet when I tried to log in I didn't get the wait time?

That would not be related to the discussion on this thread, no. Perhaps your subscription is about to run out, but hasn't yet ? You can check how long your subscription is good for at the top of the Settings page.

Alternatively, perhaps you have more than one Gixen account ? Even if you had not realised that you signed up more than once; this seems to be quite a common issue these days.
gixen fan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am astonished. This is by far the best free service and is by far the best paid service I know of. I am sorry for those who had a snipe fail, due to a SSD failure (I would like to know some more details for my education, what were the SMART parameters like? Was there no warning at all?) A single machine is not 100% reliable. If a snipe is extremely critical, one should make sure two snipes are sent. Actually, if it's a critical item, and even if the snipes are geographically separated, can you afford relying upon the network? maybe you should not snipe at all and bid normally a higher amount (that you saved thanks to sniping repeatedly on items which are easy to find for sale).
Graham

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Too many outages to be a technical issue Reply with quote

Dolbajob wrote:

Firstly, I believe you mean 'marketing', not 'PR'. PR means public relations, so to suggest it was a deliberate outage would HARM PR. What you have said is therefore utter nonsense. PR can also refer to a rectal exam, was this what you meant? It would have made just about as much sense.

Secondly, I do not know much about hosting a service and the costs involved, but I have no doubt that it is expensive, for Mario to offer it for free is AMAZING, and I am sure that he still makes no profit from the token $6, it just helps with running costs.

I therefore suggest you either:
-Code and use your own equivalent of Gixen
-Bid on eBay in the standard way
-Pay the $6 and think before you post such moronic posts in the future.
Nick

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Too many outages to be a technical issue Reply with quote

Graham wrote:
Dolbajob wrote:

Firstly, I believe you mean 'marketing', not 'PR'. PR means public relations, so to suggest it was a deliberate outage would HARM PR. What you have said is therefore utter nonsense. PR can also refer to a rectal exam, was this what you meant? It would have made just about as much sense.

Secondly, I do not know much about hosting a service and the costs involved, but I have no doubt that it is expensive, for Mario to offer it for free is AMAZING, and I am sure that he still makes no profit from the token $6, it just helps with running costs.

I therefore suggest you either:
-Code and use your own equivalent of Gixen
-Bid on eBay in the standard way
-Pay the $6 and think before you post such moronic posts in the future.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Rickajho

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: Mirror Subscription Reply with quote

GranJ wrote:
I use Gixen very infrequently and would be happy to make a small donation when I win an auction rather than subscribing on a monthly basis for a service I'm not using. This needs to be a VERY simple option preferably via PayPal.

Uh... you do know it's $6.00 USD for an entire year of the mirror service - not $6.00 per month.

Rick
nickvh1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject: Gixen - Incredible service Reply with quote

I'm probably a bit behind the curve here, but just came across this thread ( was unaffected as I have the mirror service) and just wanted to take the opportunity to say what am absolutely brilliant service Gixen is.

I still remember years ago working without Gixen and the huge amount of extra time it took. I also remember looking at other services and how unrealistically expensive they were.

It just seems a good time to say thank you for a small but very significant service that makes a real difference to my business. Hard to argue it's not worth free even with the occasional outage, and absolutely worth the few dollars for the mirror.

Sorry about the unfortunate complainers. I am overwhelmingly happy. Thank you again - Nick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.