Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

Damn bots fall asleep...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reflexor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:38 am    Post subject: Damn bots fall asleep... Reply with quote

Everything's so far looking good here but I noticed when posting to the forum that the "anti-bot check" 'image' script thing has no refresh button, nor does the image expire regularly as one might expect if it's working correctly. One can spend a while writing a post and the thing will remain the same throughout, until it's time to post...or one can write, post...then 5 or 10 minutes later write and post again - and the SAME image is still there waiting! What's the point of that? At the very least if there was a refresh button for the thing, it'd save the wasted time TRYING to enter all possible visual variations of an otherwise unreadable code only to be repeatedly met by some error message effectively saying 'try again'. Kinda frustrating..
Cupid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do accept that this aspect is a somewhat Heath Robinson solution to the particular issue of spam on this forum... Unfortunately, this is necessitated by it being shoe horned onto a particularly old version of PHP which, due to the specific nature of the modifications that Mario has made of the years to cater for the fairly unique and specific requirements of this particular forum makes it quite difficult for it to now be upgraded to a more up to date version while retaining the features we have grown to rely on.

Accordingly, I think it's unlikely to improve greatly in the manner that you suggest anytime soon. I hope you are able to handle the undoubted frustration this causes and continue to be able to contribute regardless...
reflexor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for the input - interesting. I see that the SAME image code exists to clear THIS post as it did on my last post about half an hour ago, despite it being an entirely different thread! Yep, seems kinda 'antique' - though I do appreciate that my earlier post might have seemed like a bit of a whinge when it was probably more of a point of reporting a bug in the system. I understand however the NEED for an anti-spam feature of some kind on here, just like many sites nowadays, so creaks, bugs and cobwebs regardless of wherever they are, if it works, it works. It's just that when it didn't, I had to log off and back on again to get the thing to refresh so the system then accepted the fresh code.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Ideas All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.