Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

Can't find recent pending/won bids

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Confused - for the moment

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:18 am    Post subject: Can't find recent pending/won bids Reply with quote

Hello Mario. I cannot find my recent and/or pending bids. I changed my password on eBay last night, but am - obviously - able to log on to Gixen. Would that be the cause?
nochkin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a bug, it's a feature -- once password changed then everything is gone.
Confused no more

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: But bummed Reply with quote

I did not keep track - or even Watch - the items I had Grouped. Do you know if there is any way to re-create or find what I had in my to-be-Sniped account?
Cupid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely... but perhaps our poster wont realise why its a feature?

Once you've changed your password all those snipes that were registered with the old password would fail as gixen would fail to log in to ebay in order to place those bids... I guess you could argue that if you logged in to gixen again (with the same id) it could go though all your snipes and change the password to the new one before displaying them ... it doesn't do that and personally I dont think it should.

(FYI technically speaking gixen stores snipes with your id and password as the primary key)
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject:

Confused - not dazed

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject: clearing it all up Reply with quote

Cupid wrote:
Absolutely... but perhaps our poster wont realise why its a feature?

Once you've changed your password all those snipes that were registered with the old password would fail as gixen would fail to log in to ebay in order to place those bids... I guess you could argue that if you logged in to gixen again (with the same id) it could go though all your snipes and change the password to the new one before displaying them ... it doesn't do that and personally I dont think it should.

(FYI technically speaking gixen stores snipes with your id and password as the primary key)

Thank you for explanation. I actually assumed that "if you logged in to Gixen again (with the same id) it [would] go though all your snipes and change the password to the new one before displaying them." You say that you don't think it should. Respectfully, I wonder why? (And please know that I am not one to burden Mario with more work. In my technical ignorance, I don't know what would be involved in enabling Gixen to change the password associated with the User ID.)

Thank you for your time replying.
Cupid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK my reasoning for not expecting it to is this... should, god forbid, anything happen to the gixen front end, so I can't get in (it has happened... though only once that I recall)... and at that time I want to change my snipe or even cancel it I can't... but I can still change my password on eBay and effectively cancel all my gixen bids.... then I can happily bid by some other means and not worry that gixen will have any influence.

Then gixen comes back and I want to use it again... I personally don't want those I've deliberately cancelled by changing my password to be re-enabled.

I don't know how difficult a change it would be for gixen to operate as you expected (and I explained), but from experience I do know that changing values that are used as a primary key, in a database is usually 'challenging'. Mario may well have a different view on this.

Last edited by Cupid on Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:22 am; edited 1 time in total
All clear

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a clear explanation. Thank you.

In closing - for me anyway - I'd suggest that the scenario of not wanting your Gixen bids to be cancelled is more likely than needing to change your password on eBay to remove pending Snipes. But I leave that all to Mario.

From a review of the forum, the issue does not seem to be common. But perhaps it warrants a FAQ as a warning. "If you change your eBay password, you'll lose all pending Snipes."

Thanks again.[/i]
Cupid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All clear wrote:
I'd suggest that the scenario of not wanting your Gixen bids to be cancelled is more likely than needing to change your password on eBay to remove pending Snipes. But I leave that all to Mario.

From a review of the forum, the issue does not seem to be common. But perhaps it warrants a FAQ as a warning. "If you change your eBay password, you'll lose all pending Snipes."

Both fair comments I agree (though to be honest I thought it was already an FAQ, but I haven't checked) ... So, as you suggest, lets defer to Mario.

... later thoughts, if gixen were to be changed to do password updates, that effectively removes the password from being part of the primary key... and I'm sure Mario mentioned a good reason for having it so in the past, for the life of me I can't seem to find it now though, or for that matter remember what it was!... When you logged in it would always have to search the database via userid alone in order to work out if you had changed your password in between log ins to gixen... that would certainly be a slower search in most databases, and then it would have to do a load of updates (or store the password in a seperate Table, but then that would slow the sniping as the look up of details required to perform a snipe would be slower) ... I know I'm rambling (as usual)... But I'm thinking there could be a lot of work involved for a 'feature' of which this is pretty much the first complaint.... I'll stop there.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is so by design... Note that unlike other sniping services, Gixen does not store ebay passwords longer than necessary to execute snipes (latest auction scheduled + 48 hours). Every snipe is saved as (item_id, username, password, bid) in the database.

One reason this is so is security and Gixen authentication scheme. If something goes wrong with gixen-to-ebay authentication that would allow someone to log in to user's account with a different password, such break-in would be completely useless at the moment (as no snipes under original pair username/password would be visible). I like that feature.

So, a long story short - the moment you change your password, all your snipes are dead entries in the database.
juangrande

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be a good idea to add this to the FAQ. Here's my proposal for the text:

I changed my eBay password and now I can't find any of my scheduled snipes on Gixen. What happened?

The snipes were effectively canceled when you changed your eBay password. This is by design. Note that unlike other sniping services, Gixen does not store eBay passwords longer than necessary to execute snipes: it only stores them for 48 hours past the latest scheduled snipe. Every snipe is saved as (item_id, username, password, bid) in the database; thus, changing your password cuts the database links to your scheduled snipes, effectively canceling them. This provides an extra layer of security for your Gixen account should someone manage to log in to your eBay account with a different password: they would still be unable to access your Gixen account.

If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else.
--- Yogi Berra
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John... I think you might have misunderstood the last part. Gixen authenticates (user, password) with ebay. If ebay changes the "logged in" or "could not log in" screens (this happened only once), Gixen can misinterpret these screens and allow someone to log in to Gixen (with invalid ebay password). Since active snipes are saved under (username, password) pair, and passwords are different, the intruder would not see the scheduled snipes.
juangrande

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it certainly is the case that what I wrote is not accurate, regardless of whether I understood or not. Very Happy How about the following?

I changed my eBay password and now I can't find any of my scheduled snipes on Gixen. What happened?

The snipes were effectively canceled when you changed your eBay password. This is by design. Note that unlike other sniping services, Gixen does not store eBay passwords longer than necessary to execute snipes: it only stores them for 48 hours past the latest scheduled snipe. Every snipe is saved as (item_id, username, password, bid) in the database; thus, changing your password cuts the database links to your scheduled snipes, effectively canceling them. This provides an extra layer of security for your Gixen account should someone manage to log in to your eBay account with a different password: they would be unable to see the snipes scheduled in your Gixen account.

If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else.
--- Yogi Berra
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may too much information for new users, and thus confusing. I'll include the first part only. Thanks for formulating the text.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.