Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

Desktop manager- offset increments

View previous topic :: View next topic  
madhatt3r

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 3:00 am    Post subject: Desktop manager- offset increments Reply with quote

Hi to all.
Just purchased and all good.
I just wanted to ask why the offset increment option are fewer on the desktop app as opposed to the greater number of increments offered on the webpage?
Is there any way around this.
Many thanks.
juangrande

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use the desktop app, so Mario or Mark will have to come along to give you the trusted answer on this.

I would recommend setting your favorite offsets on your Settings page (on the website). I might be mistaken, but the desktop app should simply set up your bid and leave the offsets as you have them set on your Settings page (unless you want them different for that bid). Try it and let us know.

As an additional comment, the actual value of your offsets usually makes very little difference, with the following caveats:
1. If two bids of the same value are accepted at eBay, the earlier bid wins. A practical consequence of this is that if you are competing with other snipers, a longer offset (say, 10 seconds) is better.
2. On the other hand, if you are competing against a 1-click bidder, a shorter offset (say, 3 seconds) is better. That is why I have my two offsets set at 4 and 3 seconds.
3. The shorter you set your offset, the more likely that your bid will not make it to eBay in time (due to random network slowdowns). This is another reason to have a longer offset.
4. For most people, there is no reason to adjust the offset from its default of 6 seconds. It is worth repeating that on eBay, timing is secondary. It is the highest bid that wins. Every time. The only thing sniping does is prevent others from responding to your bid with a higher one.

If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else.
--- Yogi Berra
Cupid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason that there is less choice of offsets in the Desktop Manager is historical.

There were the same options as the web page when the Desktop Manager was developed, due to demand more were introduced to the web page, but the development was never continued to the point of also introducing all those new offsets to the Desktop Manger. There is still a bit of outstanding work to do on that.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will see that I add this and release a new version of GDM.

Note that I will likely omit 1-second offset, as that one is quite unreliable and has more than 50% failure (being late) rate.
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:54 am    Post subject:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.