Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

Lost to lesser bid using snipe

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dennis90405

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:30 am    Post subject: Lost to lesser bid using snipe Reply with quote

I set up snipe for $37.01 and item went for
$30. Response was "Ebay Error Page Not
Responding." In the support section this is
evidently an ongoing event.
I understand it happens periodically.
Please tighten down that scope and adjust
the cross-hairs, I hate coming home
empty handed.
Cupid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an issue with eBay, apparently (and interestingly) though it appears to affect some users on a higher proportion of their bids/snipes than others. Investigating the difference between user accounts might lead to more enlightenment as to what issue eBay has in these instances.

If you use eBay directly you will sometimes see this page when trying to enter a bid (I have) ... when the bid is not time sensitive, i.e. well before the end of the auction you can simply try again to place a bid, I've never had this happen twice in a row.

However, this option is not really open to the automated gixen service as the bids that it places ARE time sensitive, there is not enough time before the end of the auction for it to try again.

So the only practical solution that gixen could make is to bid much earlier, say 15 seconds before the end of the auction and then it would have time to try again if eBay threw this error. HOWEVER, for the vast majority of bids that are placed successfully this would result in manual snipers having time to react to the new bid and place another themselves, so that defeats the whole objective of sniping, apart from being impractical it would be very unpopular with users.

I think you might gain more practical responses on this question if you were to take it up on the eBay support forums since it is a problem that can only really be addressed by the eBay developers.
nochkin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cupid wrote:
... it is a problem that can only really be addressed by the eBay developers.

"eBay developers" are lazy ba$tards, they don't care Sad
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nochkin wrote:

I happen to know that this is not true... And when you think about how large the eBay system is, it may not be developers' fault at all, this could be caused by all kind of different failures (e.g. network devices, load balancers, etc).
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:41 am    Post subject:

nochkin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mario wrote:
nochkin wrote:

I happen to know that this is not true... And when you think about how large the eBay system is, it may not be developers' fault at all, this could be caused by all kind of different failures (e.g. network devices, load balancers, etc).

I'll be really glad if I was mistaken. Just talking on my own experience.
Support usually blames users if something is not right, but when I manage to send something to "the developers" then it never gets fixed, but instead some work-around is implemented.
I agree that I have no clue about their internal system so maybe this is the only right way to do things. It's possible.
juangrande

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Mario, for reminding us that eBay has hardworking developers working on keeping the system running. Sometimes anger over some recent ill-conceived management decisions clouds our judgment on this point.

As a suggestion to Dennis, it might be helpful to make some manual bids in an attempt to actually see the problem and perhaps Mario could use information you collect to help protect against the problem on Gixen's side.

If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else.
--- Yogi Berra
Cupid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get this error most when I'm transferring watches between accounts... to do that I search buy item number which I imagine is what gixen must do.

One further thought, are the auctions that have this problem more often on sites other than .com (which is where gixen bids from)?... I'm guessing that eBay has to do rationalisation between very remote servers in these cases and perhaps it causes them more problems the more remote that these are to where gixen is placing the bid?
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nochkin wrote:
I'll be really glad if I was mistaken. Just talking on my own experience.
Support usually blames users if something is not right, but when I manage to send something to "the developers" then it never gets fixed, but instead some work-around is implemented.
I agree that I have no clue about their internal system so maybe this is the only right way to do things. It's possible.

If you take a look at ebay quaterly reports, you will see than only around 7% of net revenues is spent on product development. For comparison, 4 times as much is spent on marketing. eBay developers work long hours, and have no defined working hours (=stay at work as long as needed).
nochkin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mario wrote:
eBay developers work long hours, and have no defined working hours (=stay at work as long as needed).

Let's hope it's true and really works.
Cupid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mario wrote:
If you take a look at ebay quaterly reports, you will see than only around 7% of net revenues is spent on product development. For comparison, 4 times as much is spent on marketing. eBay developers work long hours, and have no defined working hours (=stay at work as long as needed).

Mario,

Are you now or have you ever been a 'Pink'?

(That's a joke by the way)
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cupid wrote:

Mark, please enlighten me, I don't get the joke?
Cupid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mario wrote:
Cupid wrote:

Mark, please enlighten me, I don't get the joke?

Sorry perhaps its more British humour... 'Pinks' are what eBay employees are known as on the eBay forums (because their posts are always in a pink colour to distinguish them from the normal users)... and since eBay employees are taking a bit of a pasting on this thread, and you were vehemently defending the developers (at least) I thought it amusing to pose the question in the manner of the Mcarthy questioning of Communists in the 50s (I think), especially since communists are often known as 'Reds'.... Not so funny really I know but even less so with the explaining.... sorry again
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now this is funny indeed... Didn't know about the pink color Smile
nochkin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cupid wrote:
Not so funny really I know but even less so with the explaining.... sorry again

I found it a little amusing actually, especially that I never thought that "Red" is close to "Pink" Smile
juangrande

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this thread is starting to turn pink and will be red shortly. When are the moderators going to clean it up? Very Happy Very Happy

If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else.
--- Yogi Berra
nochkin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juangrande wrote:
I think this thread is starting to turn pink and will be red shortly. When are the moderators going to clean it up? Very Happy Very Happy

Let's wait when it turns purple! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.