Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

GIXEN NOT REFLECTING THE ACTUAL LATEST HIGHEST BID

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tio200

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject: GIXEN NOT REFLECTING THE ACTUAL LATEST HIGHEST BID Reply with quote

142453044557 On the GIXEN page you have listed the latest highest amount on this item, but on Ebay there is an amount much higher, how would i know that i am losing the auction if GIXEN doesn't let me know that my GIXEN snipe has been surpassed? I know that we should check both pages for accuracy and comparison; but I think that was the whole point o f having GIXEN keep an eye on our bids !
Ramona

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you care whether you are losing the auction or not? The whole point of placing a snipe is that you place it for the maximum amount that you would be willing to pay and then forget about it until after the auction ends.

Regardless, Gixen only check the eBay status of auction periodically, not in real time. The volume of snips placed through Gixen would preclude it from doing so.

If you really want to know the current highest bid on an auction (for whatever reason), you need to check it on eBay, not on Gixen.
tio200

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject: POINTLESS SARCASM Reply with quote

WHAT is the spanish term for pointless sarcasm? Of course people want to be informed as to when their GIXEN priced snipes need to be updated.If I place a bid directly through ebay, it allows others who may have an interest in the object of my desires to increase their bid. why should I expose my hand and show others that there are potential buyers out there when the purpose of Gixen is to use the art of surprise to win auctions? What a pointless comment Ramona.142453044557

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do agree with ramona.
If you REALLY want an item, you should not use gixen (except, maybe, for the snipe part) and go directly on ebay.

If you want to save money, then use gixen.
Put what you wish to pay and use groups if possible to raise the chance to have the item you wish.
And then go somewhere and forget about the bids.

If not, you might raise your bids under the pressure and you will end paying more than you initially planned.
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject:

mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are my thoughts:

1) Price update is at the moment less frequent than it should be, as I had a bug in routine that was doing this. This is being fixed. However note that it will never be instant - at best prices will be updated hourly.

2) I agree that the best strategy is to know in advance exactly how much you are really willing to pay and enter your "indifference price" in Gixen.

3) With the new site Gixen should, in fact, be reliable enough (with mirror service) that you use it even for items that you really, really want. I will still not be able to provide a 100% guarantee - e.g. even eBay can have technical problems, but some time in the future I will start providing detailed statistics on % of failed snipes, so that you make an informed choice.
FireBad

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ramona wrote:
[color=darkblue]Why would you care whether you are losing the auction or not?

I care because I add items to watch for a possible snipe. I have found that it is a waste of the time to enter a snipe bid at that time. I watch until the auction is 1 day till end. At that time I look at the auction to determine the actual snipe bid. If the current price is beyond what I would bid I do not even look at the auction I just delete the snipe watch.

Some of us have a business to run and have found that it is a waste of time to enter snipe bids early (as they take time to properly value) only to have the current bid exceed what snipe bid I would enter.
Ramona

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: POINTLESS SARCASM Reply with quote

tio200 wrote:
WHAT is the spanish term for pointless sarcasm? Of course people want to be informed as to when their GIXEN priced snipes need to be updated.If I place a bid directly through ebay, it allows others who may have an interest in the object of my desires to increase their bid. why should I expose my hand and show others that there are potential buyers out there when the purpose of Gixen is to use the art of surprise to win auctions? What a pointless comment Ramona.142453044557

No sarcasm intended, and I utterly fail to understand your mention of a "spanish" term.

I fear that you really don't understand how eBay works, and would respectfully suggest that you take some time to understand that before you even begin to consider using a sniping service like Gixen.

If you wish to know what the current bid is on an auction at any given point (not that it really tells you anything, as you have no way off knowing what the highest bid that has been placed is), then you can do so by viewing that listing in eBay rather than in Gixen. There is no need for you to place a bid or "show your hand" in doing so.
Ramona

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FireBad wrote:
I care because I add items to watch for a possible snipe. I have found that it is a waste of the time to enter a snipe bid at that time. I watch until the auction is 1 day till end. At that time I look at the auction to determine the actual snipe bid. If the current price is beyond what I would bid I do not even look at the auction I just delete the snipe watch.

But all of that activity can take place in your eBay Watch list, so having the current price displayed in Gixen would be irrelevant.

FireBad wrote:
Some of us have a business to run and have found that it is a waste of time to enter snipe bids early (as they take time to properly value) only to have the current bid exceed what snipe bid I would enter.

This makes no sense to me. How would you know whether the current value is more or less than you would be willing to pay until you have taken the time to "properly value" it?

And if you do have to undertake that activity, then it would make no difference whether you do so when you first encounter the listing, or one day before the listing ends.
Cupid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to agree with Ramona.

Gixen is not an auction management site and, personally, I don't want it to become one.

There's plenty of auction management tools on Ebay, and they certainly more than cover the discussion on this thread.

This is a personal recommendation as to how it is best used. I don't add items to Gixen unless I already know my snipe value, and that gets added in the same process. I don't waste time, or Gixens resources, with importing items I may never snipe, many days in advance (unless I'm going away, without any access to the internet, and won't be looking back at Gixen at all until after they've all completed) and when/if they exceed the snipe value they get deleted from Gixen immediately.

I'm even prepared to go further and be what I know to be very controversial on this; To do anything else is somewhat selfish and disrespectful to the other Gixen users with whom you share this service.
stuwest

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i disagree with Ramona vociferously (wow, what a big word...)

i manage a bunch of auctions often (<30) and have used several sniping services over the years.

Gixen has been the best and i applaude Mario for listening to the BS of 30,000 naive whiners (of course, not all)

I have been on break the last 6 months so have not integrated Desk Top Manager to my routine, but i do look forward to having hourly updates (more than sufficient for 98% of my bids)

AND

Cupid pointed out that IF you ADD a blank bid to your que, GIXEN will check current status for you.

I have not tested this, but this will most probably cover the 2% of situations that i need temporally sensitive information.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!
Ramona

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuwest wrote:
i disagree with Ramona vociferously (wow, what a big word...)

But you have manifestly failed to provide us with any indication as to why you would wish for Gixen to provide you with the current status of the auctions that you are planning to participate in, or what you would use that information for...
juangrande

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the updated Gixen Desktop Manager is available, it will have the capability to provide current bid information for eBay auctions. The point is that the Desktop Manager will run on a user's computer and not take any Gixen server resources away from their main mission: Placing bids seconds before the auction ends.

Here's my question: Why would auction activity near the end of the auction influence the size of one's bid?

One reason I appreciate Gixen so much is that it has freed me from the perceived need to check the status of auctions until they're over.

If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else.
--- Yogi Berra
Cupid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuwest wrote:
Cupid pointed out that IF you ADD a blank bid to your que, GIXEN will check current status for you.

I have not tested this, but this will most probably cover the 2% of situations that i need temporally sensitive information.

Unfortunately, you have slightly misquoted me there.

What doing that does is update your display with the latest information from the Gixen database. This is most useful to determine the latest status of all snipes.

When Gixen has been through a price update exercise, for any of your scheduled snipes, that is reflected in the database, and will thus be reflected on your screen.

However, I've always made it clear that the price update exercise is periodic and not real time.

Therefore it is incorrect to imply that the actions described will cause Gixen to go and retrieve the latest price from Ebay, it won't.
FireBad

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ramona wrote:
FireBad wrote:

But all of that activity can take place in your eBay Watch list, so having the current price displayed in Gixen would be irrelevant.

First off having two places to watch items (Gixen and Ebay) to snipe is wasteful. With Gixen I only need one place to look at. Second when you watch items on eBay the seller knows that. I have found that not watching items on eBay that sometimes the seller will lower the opening price because of preceived lack of interest thus saving on the purchase price if my snipe wins.

Ramona wrote:
FireBad wrote:

This makes no sense to me. How would you know whether the current value is more or less than you would be willing to pay until you have taken the time to "properly value" it?

And if you do have to undertake that activity, then it would make no difference whether you do so when you first encounter the listing, or one day before the listing ends.

Funny how you think that if you can't understand something that it must be wrong.

As I stated before I have a business to run. My technique works for me which is all that really matters for me.

So I have to ask - why the constant defending of the lack of current actual bid pricings in Gixen?
You seem to be going out of the way to justify why Gixen shouldn't show current bid prices.

Heck Gixen won't even show the current bid price when first logging in. You have to click on the item number in Gixen to see the current bid.
Cupid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FireBad,

If real time update of auction prices is an important feature to you, I recommend that you investigate the Gixen Desktop Manger, since this is its primary function.

The Gixen Desktop Manager uses your own resources to retrieve auction prices, and is configurable by you as to the rate at which they are updated. It isn't ever going to be possible for the Gixen web interface to provide real time updates, the resources required to do that for the number of users and snipes that it now manages are prohibitive at any price anyone could regard as reasonable.

Many years ago when Gixen had far fewer users, it was tried on the Gixen web servers, for quite a while actually, the experiment failed spectacularly with the service becoming unusable by anyone.

With respect to
FireBad wrote:
which is all that really matters for me.
; I think that does rather tend to justify a rather controversial point, of my personal opinion, that I stated earlier in this thread.

Last edited by Cupid on Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:03 am; edited 1 time in total
juangrande

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. The Gixen servers are not the right venue for implementing auction management.

It seems to me that watching auctions on eBay is a reasonable thing to do. The fact that adding an item to your watchlist alerts the seller (and others) that there is interest is a minor effect. Besides, if there is bidding activity near the end of the auction (the only reason for real-time updates), then everybody knows there is interest at that point.

Mark and I agree that the real waste of time is watching last-minute bidding activity on an auction. Why would last-minute bidding activity influence the size of your bid? I, for one, appreciate that I don't have to be at my computer when the auction ends since Gixen places my bid for me.

--- Yogi Berra
juangrande

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should add that, as Mark has already pointed out, when the updated Gixen Desktop Manager becomes available, it will provide real-time auction updates (by querying eBay) for those who find those updates useful.

--- Yogi Berra
Cupid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an interim version (2.0.1) of the Gixen Desktop Manager available for download, to tide us over, until we get a fully integrated version in what, hopefully, will be just a few more weeks time.

For anyone having issues with it, right now, that is worth a try.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can download it at https://www.gixen.com/gdm/GixenDesktopManager.zip
juangrande

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any plans to port to other platforms (such as Mac OS or Linux)?

--- Yogi Berra
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.