Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

10 Years: Happy Anniversary, Mark!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
juangrande

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:04 am    Post subject: 10 Years: Happy Anniversary, Mark! Reply with quote

As you pointed out over at http://www.gixen.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8491 , today marks the ten year anniversary of our registration on this forum. So, happy anniversary, Mark!

It also means that Gixen has been around for over ten years and is a testament to its success. Perhaps Mario will come along and and tell us when Gixen first went live so we can thank him for his work over so many years building Gixen into the best sniping service on the planet.

If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else.
--- Yogi Berra

Last edited by juangrande on Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Cupid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Anniversary, John !

As you say, we must have been here a bit longer since we were not permitted to have registered Community accounts for a while after Mario registered his. There was only a short period when we were able to do it ourselves.

Plus, as you say, a belated Happy Anniversary to Mario and Gixen, he registered his Community account on 03 Oct 2006, though I suspect the Community itself didn't exist for a while after Gixen first went live so it probably started even earlier than that.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gixen was launched at the beginning of August of 2006. I started it out of frustration with auctionsniper. My initial idea was to make a sniping tool just for myself, but once I was done I realized I should offer it to everyone, and offer it for free.

I found the record of the "virtual dedicated server" I ordered from serveraxis on Aug 3rd, 2006, at the price of $30/month. This is what Gixen started on, and even on that machine it was better and more reliable than the competitors, mostly because backend used no scripting at all - all the code was in C, and as fast and efficient as possible. The only libraries used were libCurl and database CLI.

I never saved the information about the first user who used Gixen, and I don't think it was a winning snipe. I do know, however, the first Gixen user I communicated with some time mid-August 2006, he is still a Gixen user and is from Dominican Republic.

Needless to say, Gixen gained in popularity quickly, but not as quickly as one would expect. There are still users who believe "you get what you pay for", and they feel they are getting a better service if they pay more. I know that this is not always true, in this case definitely not, but that's how many people think.
juangrande

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well now.

Happy 11th anniversary to you, Mario, and to the Gixen service you've so expertly created for us. Thank you!

And thanks for the history! I enjoyed reading it.

And, of course, I've immensely appreciated using Gixen personally for over ten years. It's simply the best.

If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else.
--- Yogi Berra
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Impressions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.