Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

Weird new Bidding screen on Ebay AU may cause snipe problems

View previous topic :: View next topic  
the3coopers

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:50 am    Post subject: Weird new Bidding screen on Ebay AU may cause snipe problems Reply with quote

I know that Gixen bids via US site, but please take care with the new changes to the bidding screens...

On Ebay.com.au today, when you place bids from an Item Listing there is a SECOND screen that you must enter the $ amount, and then click "confirm bid"

Check this thread I started on the Discussion Boards :

http://forums.ebay.com.au/thread.jspa?threadID=500065377&start=0

It's hard to explain - just test by placing a bid on any Auction on Ebay.com.au

Note that this currently only affects manual snipes on ebay AU... but WILL affect gixen snipes if they impliment similar stupid changes on the US site.
Cupid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again 3coopers,

I also noticed this on .co.uk a couple of days ago... I assumed that it was another eBay bug (since it just makes things harder not easier)... It does not appear to have affected gixen (yet) and I would hope that it's not going to as they usually roll out to .com first, so I'm assuming it never affected gixen or it was fixed rapidly on .com and hasn't reached the rest of us yet.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this screen (Confirm Bid) already exists in ebay.com, and this has been so for a long time already...
Cupid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mario,

I don't want us to be a cross purposes here... Yes 'Confirm Bid' has been there for (ever) as far as I am aware... the new one is after you put a bid amount on the main auction page and push the bid button... You then have to enter the bid amount again on this new page (it has completely lost the amount that you have entered) push the bid button on this new page and only then do you get the 'Confirm Bid' page.

As I said I think it's an eBay bug, surely they don't intend it to do that?
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:14 am    Post subject:

Cupid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a chance to try this on .com now and can confirm that this IS different to .co.uk

... as used to be the case everywhere .com goes straight to the 'Review and Confirm Bid' page if you enter a bid on the auction page and press the 'Place Bid >' button.

... you CAN get to the page that comes next on .co.uk (and presumably ,au) on .com if you DON'T type a bid amount on the auction page and just press the 'Place Bid >' button.

So it depends how gixen is implemented, if it normally just does a submit from the auction page then the action is identical and no changes would be required if this change occured on .com, however if the bid is normally sent with a submit from the main page then it is not and there would be a problem.

Lets hope eBay are not rolling this out in the opposite order to their usual practice.
the3coopers

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mario, you misunderstand my first post

There is usually 2 pages in the bidding process (with form actions in brackets) :

1. Listing page (enter bid amount, submit)
2. Review and Confirm page (submit)

Now on Ebay.com.au (and probably also .co.uk)...

1. Listing page (enter bid amount, submit)
2. Place Bid page (re-enter amount, submit)
3. Review and Confirm page (submit)

So PLEASE try placing any bid on ebay.com.au and try it for yourself.

Note, this is similar to a glitch that occasionally makes Gixen fail, when ebay pops up that intermediate page on ebay.com.

I also hope that this is a glitch, but it's strange that it affects both .com.au and .co.uk as well. If this change happens on Ebay.com, then gixen (and other stiper services) will fail.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I understand now. I only hope this will not be rolled out to ebay.com... If that happens, snipes will start failing and I will have a lot of work to do.
the3coopers*

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - we worked out what is going in.

There are TWO places (FORMs) to enter a bid on the listing page on Ebay AU.

The top form is faulty - if you use this one the $ bid amount is not submitted properly. Therefore the server thinks that the Bid field was empty, so it displays another "Place Bid" screen.

The form that is right down at the bottom of the page works "normally".

I have no idea why ebay cannot code something as simple as this properly. However, if you look (view source) at the amount of crap that they include in each page, it's actually quite amazing that anything works at all !
juangrande

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the3coopers* wrote:
...if you look (view source) at the amount of crap that they include in each page, it's actually quite amazing that anything works at all !

I think that sums it up pretty well! Mad

Including the bid field at the top of listings is a new "feature" and has been implemented on eBay's main site, as well. I'll cross my fingers that they'll either fix this or keep it well away from the original bid field...

If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else.
--- Yogi Berra
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.