Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

Gixen API E-Mail received?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eutgjf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming it's genuine I would just like to know if it is going to affect the snipes I have already put in for items that are ending in the next couple of days?
Cupid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The communication from Mario is genuine, further details will be released over the coming days, weeks and months.

There is no need for any concern... it is a positive move that will increase the reliability of the Gixen service.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know. I note all the other posts have been removed, I didn't think my prior posts were inflammatory, more lighthearted. Laughing Very Happy
Cupid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally have not removed any posts... However, since Ebay policy has not to my knowledge been changed, there are definitely sensitive issues that are best not shared publicly.

Last edited by Cupid on Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:10 am    Post subject:

mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I deleted the previous messages, as there are reasons why I do not want details I shared in email to users on the public board yet. And yes, I did send that email.

To clarify - this email is sent to everyone, and it does affect all users. The most notable change will be that you will log in to Gixen with Gixen credentials, not eBay ones. Your existing snipes will not be affected, the transition will be done in such a way to ensure that. I don't expect there will be much disruption, if any.

As for the kind words I directed toward eBay - I actually meant that. It's a big corporation, and in every big corporation you will find all kinds of people - deserving and less so. I got to meet many of them, especially ones that drive and enable the engineering process, and I think highly of them. I also love eBay, and especially auctions. Gixen was made when I needed to fulfil my own need as an eBay user. It's easy to take it for granted, but imagine if eBay didn't exist - I would miss it dearly, as a buyer.

I suppose Gixen users who question this sentiment dealt with customer support, and I understand that this experience may have been less satisfying, as well as some business decisions in the past. Again, I understand, but overall I think things are overwhelmingly positive.
rkstmps

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Multiple Itmes With Identical End Times Reply with quote

Mario,
Will the change allow for bids on multiple items with identical end times to go through without eBay requesting a response that blocks one or more of the bids? I have one Seller that lists this way. Since this issue first came up, I have used Gixen for the item I wanted the most and put manual bids on eBay for the others.
Cupid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rkstmps,

In my opinion it is most likely this issue will be completely resolved, as you suggest (though it more often manifest as a captcha block being placed on later auctions)... However, until the implementation is complete and tested there can be no absolute guarantees.
Raigne

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This change has not gone into effect yet has it? I put a snipe on an auction I looked at yesterday and today the seller has made several dramatic changes to the listing, including more than doubling the minimum bid and I have never seen that happen. There's no way for a seller to know you have a snipe on their item using the API is there?
Eutgjf

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the additional info Mario, much appreciated.
Raigne- that happens all the time. Probably just unlucky...
moonbop

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:11 am    Post subject: No a email from eBay Sign in information is not valid Reply with quote

I do not have an email from eBay which means I can't update anything so Gixen is now useless. It' doesnt work at all. My bid was GBP 17 but the item sold for GBP 2.50 which means nobody but the first bidder actually managed to bid on it. I'm glad I do not sell by auction. Time toi use a nother snipe programme. It was good while it lasted but Gixen is now dead in the water. The email I received warning me of this was inaccurate. There is no fix as eBay has not communicated anything whatsoever. All I get was an eMail from Gixen stating.

Status (main): Sign in information is not valid.
Status (mirror): Sign in information is not valid.

The instructions to solve this issue fall down at point 1. as there is no email from eBay regarding the snipe
Cupid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raigne,

No and no... any changes a seller makes before your bid is placed always have been, and always will be, entirely coincidental to the actions you take in setting up snipes ion Gixen.

moonbop,

Your post is not related to any other on this thread, please see my response to your identical post on this thread:

http://www.gixen.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8377

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mario, you are correct regards sellers outlook from customer support 'support.' But thank you for stating the reasons.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mario wrote:
The most notable change will be that you will log in to Gixen with Gixen credentials, not eBay ones..

I do not have Gixen credentials and never had those (when I started to use Gxen, there have never been Gixen registration page / link). How do I get a Gixen registration / account / credentials now?

Thank you.
Cupid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one has, yet (my registration as a Forum user named 'Cupid' is only relevant to this forum and not to sniping activity).

So we will be given the opportunity to set up Gixen credentials once this change starts to be rolled out.
confused

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:08 am    Post subject: First I've heard of this on 25 7 2017 Reply with quote

The first I've heard of this is today via an email. I've seen no previous emails.

I don't quite understand what is going on.

Please explain why this is needed when the Gixen service wasn't broken.

I've paid up to next year on Gixen and totally unable to understand how this is going to transfer to some new log in that I haven't got yet.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will the Firefox autosnipe extension continue to work after the transition? If not, are there any plans to develop a replacement? What about other browsers?
Cupid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is necessary for the next stage of Gixen development which will improve the service, for us all. It may not have been broken, as you say, but things can always be improved, I am convinced that this is a positive move that we must all adopt as soon as possible.

In order to progress with setting up your account you need to go to the www.gixen.net site and press the 'Sign Up' button, next to the button that you normally press to gain access to your snipes.

As far as I am aware the Firefox extension is not supported with these changes, yet, but hopefully this will be temporary and it will be back up and running again shortly. I don't expect anything for browsers other than Firefox, at least not in the short to medium term.
jt4u

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I find confusing about this change is that I only heard about it today by email and before acting upon it went to my usual Gixen login where nothing at all refers to that change.

So it raises doubts about the legitimacy of the email, when it's not backed by some sort of official com at the source!
Ramona

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I have been aware of the changes, getting an email telling me to go to gixen.NET to register with a username/password, when all of my previous interactions have been with gixen.COM comes across as highly suspicious!

This feels like a technique straight out of "phishing 101", and especially when coupled with some of the language in the email ("Please do the same as soon as possible", "gives you an unprecedented reliability") yells "scam" at me.

Now I appreciate that it's (almost certainly) genuine, but perhaps Mario needs to involve somebody in this transition whose communication skills match Mario's own excellent programming skills!
Cupid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a previous email announcing that changes were coming soon. That one may have failed to reach you or ended up in your Spam folder.

There was also some previous, admittedly quite limited, discussion in this Community area, see earlier threads.

The return address on the emails is support@gixen.com, which is an indicator that it is likely to be genuine... which I can, once again, assure you that it is.
Cupid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll accept collective responsibility for the tone and content of the emails...

They are non the less genuine. The point is however noted and I hope will be acted upon for the future.

I further hope that none of our treasured community of users have been unduly traumatised by the nature of the communications.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ramona,

You're right in a way... and I don't think I necessarily lack communication skills, but I was too busy with programming and sysadmin job. You see, Gixen is still mostly a one-man operation. If there was anyone else, there is just no way it would be offered under these terms to users.

As for two sites at the same time... lesson learned. The intent was to spread transition over time and make it easier for users. It didn't exactly turn out that way, even though most users still did fine. The small percentage that didn't - it was still too many, and I'm responsible for that, no doubt.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.