Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

How about fetcing number of bids when getting prices?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rickajho

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:11 am    Post subject: How about fetcing number of bids when getting prices? Reply with quote

Surprised I couldn't find mention of this one. It would be helpful to know the number of bids placed in context of an eBay ("High Bid") price. Would that be difficult to add another column and fetch the number of bids when getting prices?

My context for wanting that information is to determine if there is any interest showing up on an item, and how much interest. As it is if an item has an opening bid of, say, $1.00 you cannot tell in gixen if someone put up an opening bid or not. It either case the "high bid" amount will be reported the same.

This would be helpful for those items where you have snipes placed days or weeks out from the end of an auction. I'm not expecting it to help out at all in the last two minutes of bidding. But if activity shows up you may want to reconsider your bid amount.

Just a thought...
Cupid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gixen already fetches that information and takes account of it where appropriate.

If you have a snipe bid scheduled that is within one bid increment of the starting bid you will find that the snipe only turns yellow (indicating that the bid can no longer be placed) after there is a bid on the item.

I don't see much advantage in displaying it since it would never affect the amount that I chose for my snipe. That is because, in my view, a successful sniper should do in depth research on value and then not take any account of what other people decide to do on any specific auction they are interested in bidding on.
rickajho

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other snipe sites do provide the number of bids along with the high bid price and IMO it is useful information. It's not a matter of knowing if your snipe is within on bid increment, it's more a matter of knowing if there is any interest/activity at all in what is in your snipe list.

I'm not advocating setting your bid offers that close to the edge that you are always within one bid increment of losing. But if it is an item that you really want, and you know "bid x" now represents 13 bids five days before auction end, then you know what you are up against and are better informed as to if you want to just pass on that one or up your snipe amount.

Also, If a seller stipulates a fairly high opening bid gixen with report those opening amounts as the "High Bid" when the real scenario may be that there may have been no bids placed at all. In this scenario all I'm saying is that an opening minimum required bid doesn't equate to an acutal bid placed. That's a case where viewing a "High Bid" via gixen is a bit misleading. Might be a high bid, could also be an item with no bids heading for a relisting.
Cupid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I am suggesting as that any activity on an open Ebay auction is of little use in determining the actual value.

After an auction completes the bidding information is of much greater use.

I know the value I place on an item before I even add a snipe... the activity between that time and the completion of the auction is not relevant to me, it only ever results in my deleting the snipe if the price goes above what I am willing to pay.
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:50 pm    Post subject:

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: How about fetcing number of bids when getting prices? Reply with quote

Listing number of bids would be very usefull for me to help understand the interest in certain items.

I love your software - tried other snipers before- you are the best!

Anders from Sweden
fire_bad

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickajho wrote:
Other snipe sites do provide the number of bids along with the high bid price and IMO it is useful information. It's not a matter of knowing if your snipe is within on bid increment, it's more a matter of knowing if there is any interest/activity at all in what is in your snipe list.

Yes I agree the number of bids is useful to me also.

Please add "the number of bids" either before or after the Bid column.
marc_5891

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Supporting this feature request. Reply with quote

I agree that this piece of information completes the picture as to what kind of war you are going to. You can do all your research, but in the end you also want to know just how many dudes are out there trying to get what you are after.

So please devs, read our posts and move Gixen forward with new features what will make the Premium version even more enticing.

Regards,
m.
smitty

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Bidder count is definitely useful Reply with quote

I agree -- seeing the number of bidders is very useful because Gixen's display is NO different if there is NO initial bidder or the item has its first bidder -- the display LOOKS the same.

BUT there is a big difference -- you now have competition that may occur since you now have some "action". Without a change in display, you would have to manually check the item (which also shows interest if a counter is used).

I guess that I am not as good as some people here who absolutely KNOW the value of the item that they bid on.

I'm simply trying to get the items as inexpensively as possible and sometimes I don't know the exact "value" and have to make changes as I see others bidding. Some items do NOT have a "brisk" trade and are unique.

If I bid slightly more than the initial amount myself (through ebay), it then shows interest in the item to others (and that makes THEM place a higher initial bid). That recently happened and it was extremely likely that it cost me an extra $25+.

While I may know the current price, having immediate knowledge of the current situation can save money.

And isn't that ONE of the purposes of using Gixen -- to save money? (In addition to not having to run you life based on ebay auction closings in the early AM.)
klondyke

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: I would use bid count if it were available. Reply with quote

I use Gixen as way to keep track of everything I am interested in, not just to make proxy bids. For example, if a lot is getting more or fewer bids than I expect then maybe I should look at the lot more closely to see if I should modify my proxy bid, either up or down.

This should take very little effort to implement. You just need to parse the eBay page for the number of bids & place the result (in parens) in the Current column.
Cupid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned earlier in this thread Gixen already fetches this information and uses it where appropriate.
GrahamB

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject: How many bidders? Reply with quote

This topic has been quiet for a while, but rather than opening a new topic, I will add my voice to those calling for information on number of bidders to be shown on Gixen, please. It really is helpful to me when deciding whether to bid or not, as well as how large a bid to place. I can click on the item link in the left hand column and view the current state of play with bidding, but it would be more convenient to have the information on the Gixen page.

It's not going to stop me using this wonderful site/tool, though! Very Happy
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added - I've had this information in the database for a long time, not sure why I haven't added this to the UI before. Now you can see something like "350 USD (5 bids)" where the current price is displayed.
Rickajho

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Mario! You da man!

Rick
Rickajho

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now I'm bidding on something that's a perfect example of why this is good.

It's sort of a rare item and the seller set the starting bid at $199.00 seven days out. Without that number of bids info I wouldn't be able to tell from gixen if that $199 represented zero bids or twenty. For days it sat there at those numbers. Now that it's moved to only $204.50 24 hours before the auction close and there have only been 3 bids I have a better idea of what the non sniping public is doing: It's not turning out to be a feverish bidding scenario and that helps me assess what I set my bid at for an item I may not see again for years.

02ยข
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Ideas All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.