Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

2 seconds lead time?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marc_5891

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject: 2 seconds lead time? Reply with quote

Hi everybody.

I'm considering buying the mirror service, since it is very cheap and Gixen is wonderful.

Only problem is that the main reason I would pay is to reduce the lead time to 2 secs, maybe even shorter.
Is this unfeasible?

What is the actual minimum lead time available with the premium service?
I've read in the Help pages that it is 3 secs, but somewhere here in the forum I've read it is 2 secs actually.

Thanks in advance to all those answering.

Regards,
m.
marc_5891

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK guys.
Even though having different offsets is good to avoid same-second problems in multiple bids, sniping at less than 3 seconds is useless.

The bid can't be placed, accepted by eBay, relayed to the competition, then outsniped in less than 3 seconds. Maybe even more. It's nonsense.

So please forget this thread and forgive this poor newbie.

Regards,
m.
Cupid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a Mirror subscription it is now possible to reduce the offset to 1 second if you so wish.

Personally, I prefer the higher offsets, above 6 seconds, in order to have the bid increment rule work for rather than against me.
Rickajho

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On one level I tend to agree with Mark, that using a higher bid offset may give you a minor advantage if you get caught in a down-to-the-second sniping war and you just happen to have placed a snipe higher than all other bidders in play.

The bottom line is still whoever places the highest bid/snipe is going to come out on top whether the snipe is placed 6 seconds before the auction end or 2 seconds before the auction end. How much you decide to bid is still far more important than splitting hairs over a 3 or 4 second bidding window. If multiple bidders are in play (and without quibbling over nuances of bid increments etc.) highest money still wins.

The other thing to be cautious about: the internet is not a perfect world. And eBay sure isn't either. The smaller you make your offset the more you run the risk of "poop happens" and a single second hiccup on eBay is then all it takes for your 1 or 2 second snipe to not get entered in a timely manner. A 1 or 2 second offset won't help if the snipe doesn't get placed at all - or if your snipe is still lower than any other bid already placed.

So... pick an offset and try it. If you are losing auctions I'll bet it's because you were significantly outbid on the dollar amount, not because you were 1 or 2 seconds slower than the other guy. I have played with 3 through 8 second offsets and if I lose it's because the bidding went way out of proportion compared to what I was willing to pay for an item. No offset can improve a situation like that for you.
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:23 am    Post subject:

marc_5891

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't agree with Mark in saying that 6 seconds is an OK offset. Manual snipers can still outbid you at that stage.

And I don't quite get that point of the increment rule working for me if I bid sooner: yes, my bid increment is more likely to be accepted before bids grow, but if bids are to grow anyway and I'm going to be outbid anyway, what would be the point in biding sooner anyway? Am I missing something?

ebay microdowntimes are something I've never been hit by.

The point of more-money-is-best is obvious and needs no comment on.

m.
Cupid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is possible for a manual bidder to submit a bid within 6 seconds. However, in order to do that they have to be sitting at their computer waiting to be outbid, having already decided that they are prepared to pay more... most people are sensible enough to realise, after doing that once or twice, that it is a waste of their time, they are better off using a service like Gixen.

The point of the bid increment rule is that, since Ebay actually rejects any bid that is not more than one bid increment more than the current auction price, the later you attempt to place that bid the more likely it is to be rejected, but crucially it is also more likely that your bid, though higher than the maximum bid, is still rejected... when you may have actually won the auction had your bid been accepted... you may have even managed to block later bids from those that were willing to pay slightly more (less than one bid increment) than you were. This situation occurs more often on items that many snipers (that all know the precise market value of the item) are interested in, and are thus prepared to pay about the same amount for.
marc_5891

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other people think different than you do.
Is this service tailores to one mindset only?
m.
marc_5891

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee...
Your point on the increment rule, I guess must have happened to me, but I can't remember it. I can't had happened much often to me since 2005...
m.
Cupid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe this forum has always been open to ideas and opinions.

I appreciate that you respect mine are as valid as yours and I'm glad that you allow me to express them without any hint that they should not be expressed as openly as all the others.

As I said, at the end of my post explaining, the effect of the bid increment rule, the situation certainly occurs more often on items where many snipers take an interest and the market price is well established. If you don't get involved in that kind of auction, it will indeed be a rare occurrence. Of course you never know if your bid managed to block a later but higher one, because the bid never appears on Ebay.... but the fact that we get a significant number of complaints from Gixen users on here complaining that their bid was not placed, even though it was slightly higher than the eventual sale price, does indicate that it happens reasonably often.

None the less, an on occurrence (in my opinion) more rare than being outbid on an auction, by the reaction of a manual bidder, after your bid is placed within 15 seconds of the end of the auction, and not just one that scheduled their snipe much higher but later than yours. Laughing
whoha1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: 0.1 second if technically allowed Reply with quote

I think we're talking about if there's enough time for a human to manually type a new bid and click 'place bid' in 6 second in react to your snipe. I think the answer is yes.

I was arguing 3 years ago if that could happen in 3 second, turned out it's not likely. But in 6 second, it's more than enough.

But it's more fair now for Gixen: different outcomes for paid and unpaid users.

I renewed my subscription once I figured out I had no way to set from 6 seconds to 3 seconds even the option is there for me to choose and confirm.

Don't know whether in the future there's someone arguing 10 seconds is fast enough.
Cupid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have your browser set up to bid, you are watching the auction, ready to increase your bid, and quick at typing accurately... then 6 seconds may be enough to place a bid... but that is not my argument that 6 or even 10 seconds is enough.

In order to do all that you must have already decided that actually you are willing to pay more than you have already bid... you might, just as well, not waste your time and actually place that bid on Ebay whether or not anyone else places a bid towards the end of the auction... the Ebay proxy bidding system ensures you won't pay more than one bid increment more than anyone else, in any case, no matter when you place your bid... anyone engaged in such activity soon realizes they are actually wasting their time and then moves on to techniques that are more practical... using a sniping service like Gixen is just one of those.

The argument is that 6 or even 10 seconds is not enough for someone that has already bid, or has set up a snipe using a service like Gixen, to receive an email from Ebay that the price has risen... think about it and decide to see how much that kind of item generally goes for... decide, actually, I have chosen a bid that is too low and I am now willing to pay more... go to Ebay, and enter the bid they are now prepared to pay... and those are the only type of bidders that sniping actually saves you money when bidding against them... and in such cases, 5 minutes might well be enough time for you to win the auction unchallenged.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Ideas All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.