Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

Mirror settings & suggestion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisloch

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:17 pm    Post subject: Mirror settings & suggestion Reply with quote

Say I want to bid $100 for an item on ebay.
I set the main bid for $100 at 6s
& The mirror bid at 3s
The result would be as if the mirror bid did not happen, unless server is down.

I could setup 2 independent bids for same item,
the main bid for $90 at 6s
& The mirror or 2nd bid for $100 at 3s
That way I would take out any bids that come in at 5s & 4s
The idea been, I want to be the last bidder.

Maybe The 2nd bid could be automated according to ebay rules so if you bid for an $5.00 item The counter bid at $5.50 and the 2nd bid could be $6.00

Since Gixen already has 2 servers it should be easy to implement on the 2nd srver, just by adding another " Your mirror (2nd) bid:
for the people who are asking for it or want to use it.
Ramona

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you want to be the last bidder? That's not how sniping works - the point is to place your bid sufficiently late that another bidder can't place a further bid in reaction to yours, so whether you bid at 3s, 5s or even 10s makes no practical difference.

Why would you place two bids ($90 and $100 in your example) on the same item? That makes no sense whatsoever.

At the end of the day (leaving aside the rare cases of late bids that are less than one bid increment above the current high bid), the auction is won by the bidder who places the HIGHEST bid, not the LATEST bid.
bosox1027

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:24 pm    Post subject: I get it BUT.... Reply with quote

Ramona wrote:
Why do you want to be the last bidder? That's not how sniping works" and "the auction is won by the bidder who places the HIGHEST bid, not the LATEST bid.

Your 100% correct, what matters is being the highest bidder, not the last bidder. It's difficult for some to understand the difference. Do NOT rip me for this but I'll give it a shot. I think what he is talking about is losing a bid by one bid increment and he wants to somehow set it up so he will snipe again after the other bidders tops his... kind of like a snipe insurance that will place an increment or two above his competitor. I know that sounds completely moronic but thats what I think he is talking about. But, none of that matters because like you mentioned the Highest BID wins.. I kind of do understand his frustration when losing or being outsniped, oops I mean outbid before an item ends.

I lost a bid tonight and was outsniped by a bidder who placed his bid 1 second after mine. It's hard for some people to realize that the reason they lost was because of the amount of their bid. They tend to think of it as being outsniped by one second or "I lost by one increment" instead of the correct "damn, I should have bid higher". The bottom line is if your upset about losing by an increment you should have bid higher. Pretty simple actually.
medsia324

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Mirror Reply with quote

I'm new to this. Then what is the point of purchasing Mirror if you are the highest bidder?
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Mirror

Cupid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point of the Mirror is to increase the reliability of the service.. with just one server as many as 1 in 300 snipes fail for various reasons.

With the backup of the Mirror the chances of that are dramatically reduced to be just one in 300 of the one in 300 that fail on the Main.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this idea.
I want to be the highest bidder, but I can still be beat time.

For me the work around is to have two accounts (Ebay/Gixen).

Then set one account on even time - say 6 and 8 seconds. The other on odd time - 5 and 7 seconds.

Gixen cost makes this possible and for worth of the small extra amounts that ultimately save me money by winning bids.
Ramona

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you are suggesting - if I understand it correctly - makes no sense, as you'll actually be bidding against yourself with your two separate eBay accounts, and will just drive the final price up.

You only ever need to place a single bid on any auction, and that bid should be for the maximum amount that you would be happy to pay for the item. Then if you don't win the auction, it's because somebody else has bid MORE than you, not that they have bid LATER (and anyway, you won't be unhappy as they will have bid more that you would have been willing to pay for the item).

The whole reason for having the mirror service in Gixen is to increase the reliability of your bid being placed, not to give you the opportunity to place two separate bids on the auction.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Ideas All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.