Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

Market Intelligence

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cupid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:40 am    Post subject: Market Intelligence Reply with quote

Mario,

Here's a question that I have been meaning to ask/clarify for a while.

The information that we provide in terms of items and the prices we are willing to pay would be very useful to some, including I must admit even myself.

Have you been approached to sell this information, and if not, would you ever consider selling it ? This is not an offer to buy as I think it would be counter to the community ethic of your site. However I would understand if you considered making some money from it perhaps to support the site for all. I know this kind of information is sold by eBay themselves and presumably they make a good profit on the exercise.

You have been very clear that you will never use our log in information for any purpose other than placing bids on eBay for us. You have also made it clear that you are not, at least at present, considering selling any part of the gixen operation.

I hope you do not consider this a question on your integrity I do trust you to do what is best for the community.
nochkin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally think that I can find such information by browsing completed items on eBay.
Of course, the prices are slightly lower than what people are actually bid due to proxy bidding, but it's really close enough to get the idea on what people are willing to pay for some particular item.
Just my 2 cents..
Cupid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nochkin wrote:
I personally think that I can find such information by browsing completed items on eBay.

Yes I think that is actually good enough for most of us... myself included.

I am aware however that if you pay eBay extra you can obtain information on market trends, big movers etc. basically they are filtering and interpreting the data that you are talking about and then selling that information in a form that business can react to and base their business strategies on without them having to go to all the trouble of trawling through listings like us cheapscates do!

They also analyse over greater timespans than are available in the closed listings (which get removed after a while), and the value that they add in processing and presenting the data must be worth paying for (by someone), or they would not be offering the service.
juangrande

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is an interesting possibility. If this data is separated from any individual's userID, I see no ethical difficulty with collecting it and selling it. I certainly wouldn't want anyone to have my personal bidding history, but the collection of aggregate data on bidding trends wouldn't bother me in the least. In fact, I think Mario is entitled to it for the service he provides and if it can be used to generate revenue, I'm all for it.

If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else.
--- Yogi Berra
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject:

Cupid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

juangrande wrote:
In fact, I think Mario is entitled to it for the service he provides and if it can be used to generate revenue, I'm all for it.

I agree, I'm not against it I'm just asking if Mario has considered it... perhaps its already generating revenue, and if so good luck to Mario. It wouldn't deter me from using the service either.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries about personal information - I'll never disclose this to anyone (except when confronted with court order). As for the aggregate information (market trends, etc), I may find use for it one day, but at the moment this is also not used at all.
Cupid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mario wrote:
As for the aggregate information (market trends, etc), I may find use for it one day, but at the moment this is also not used at all.

I think if you do get someone interested in it then you should make some money out of it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.