Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

Some suggestions for Gixen Desktop Manager

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ramona

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:11 am    Post subject: Some suggestions for Gixen Desktop Manager Reply with quote

I realise that development on Gixen Desktop Manager is of lower priority than work on the Gixen back end, but also that the more we users use GDM, the less load is placed on the back end.

Hence a few suggestions for improving GDM to make it more usable - in order of their importance (to me, at least!)

1) Include the currency! While the Gixen web page shows what currency you are bidding in, GDM doesn't. I tend to bid for items that are listed in GBP , $ and €, but in GDM it's impossible to know which auction is in which currency.

2) Update GDM to be compatible with Windows 8/8.1. Most people are (or will shortly be) running this version of Windows, so it's not ideal having to run GDM in compatibility mode.

3) Make GDM remember the size and placement of the window and the width of the columns. I don't know whether this is a result of running in comptibility mode, but unless I start GDM "maximised", it always starts in the middle of my (2 monitor) screen, which means that I have to drag it onto one of the screens, and it doesn't remember the width of any of the columns.

4) Make the columns in GDM the same name and order as in Gixen. At present, the columns are in a different order and with different names ("Time To End"/"Bid"/"Current" in Gixen, but "High Bid"/"Max Bid"/"Offset"/"Time To End" in GDM).

5) Allow sorting by any field (especially by Group).

6) Allow thumbnails to be displayed in GDM.
Cupid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will only comment on the one I have any issue with;

2> Many many people I know have not progressed beyond Windows XP, very few are at Windows 8 or even contemplating a move to it... At least users of later operating systems can still run GDM in compatibility mode... Only to have a Windows 8 version would exclude those users. At very least multiple versions for different OS variants would be required... that however would increase the support and development costs.
Ramona

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No disagreement regarding backward compatibility, although I have a number of programs which ran under XP and which still run under Win8.1 without having to use compatibility mode, so it's obviously possible to have a single executable which runs under all (later) versions of Windows.

(According to Wikipedia, as of June this year only 16.3% of PC users were still on XP, and that number will continue to fall as people update their computers or start to worry about not receiving security patches. Mainstream support for XP ended in April 2009.)
Cupid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I am aware of the support issues with XP.

Backwards compatibility depends on what features are being used, certainly some simple programs work without the need for compatibility modes, all programs are different and for some it is not possible.

Forwards compatibility in Windows is non existent though, an executable that is built on 8.1 is not possible to run on earlier variants of the OS... so if you are lucky and have a program that works on all OS versions it must have been built for XP, as is the Gixen Desktop Manager at the moment.
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject:

Ramona

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One further suggestion:

7) When I use GDM, it updates all the current prices ("High Bid") for the auctions that I'm sniping. However, if I then click on "Refresh Gixen Status", instead of using that data to update Gixen back-end with the current details held in GDM, it overwrites the data in GDM with the out-of-data held on Gixen. This behaviour should be reversed.
Cupid

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, 7 is an issue... recently discussed with similar proposals on this thread:

http://www.gixen.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6928
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not willing to make any price updates from GDM to Gixen backend, it's too risky, but I will see that price refresh is automatically called after Gixen status refresh. In the meantime you can change the price update frequency in your GDM settings if annoyed by this.
DataSage

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject: windows version Reply with quote

Please do not break desk top manager.

Please keep it compatible with XP and Wine under Linux
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Ideas All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.