Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

Bid increments if outbid

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
question

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:29 pm    Post subject: Bid increments if outbid Reply with quote

Do you guys have something like that?

So if in the event I was outbid because of my max amount I'm willing to pay, the system will automatically increase it for me by the next bare minimum bid.
Cupid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Gixen did that it would be bidding above the maximum I am willing to pay which I specified when I set up the snipe.

I don't want that... I would prefer that it automatically deleted the snipe if it detects that my bid is not going to be accepted... because that is what I am going to do if I spot it.

A major feature of successful sniping is working out what your absolute maximum is and setting that as the snipe value... anyone thinking about features like this has not achieved that aim, yet.
question

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be useful if your max bid is $6000, but someone bid $5999.99 with $6050 as their max bid before you bid, so you got owned since you can't even place a bid, but don't mind paying the next level up at $6100. If you had this auto next bid increment, you could have bid successfully and won the auction (at $6051 I believe?). Should I have played safe and be willing to put $7000 in the first place? Maybe, but then if the same thing happened (some dude placing a max bid at $6999 before me) then I'm just gonna to get owned again. We never know what the other party is going to bid, so these things are particularly useful. I don't mind paying for the next bid increment as long as I'm winning the auction within the last few seconds. Then again should I have bid earlier at 10 seconds instead of 6 so that I am the one owning the other guy? Maybe, but some other bot with this feature enabled would have just owned me, again.

A useful mirror feature to have. If you don't want that, don't use it.
Cupid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are prepared to pay $6100 why would you put $6000 as your Snipe value?

... It makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Yes, in my experience, when there is high interest in an auction, and thus likely to be other snipers, then having a larger offset (i.e. bidding earlier) is a more successful strategy... which is already possible using Gixen, with a Mirror subscription... You can also set your maximum to anything you like, (even on the free version), from experience, I also find that a few cents extra, so as to make an odd bid amount, like $6100.32 (instead of say $6100) is more successful than even bid amounts which others more naturally choose and is generally worthwhile for the extra few cents (as opposed to whole bid increments) that it costs.
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:35 am    Post subject:

question

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cupid, do read my previous post again. It doesn't matter what you enter as your max bid if you keep getting owned.

Hope the developer sees this thread.
Cupid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read, and understood, your posts, I can assure you.

If we are talking about extending or changing Gixen operation, as you suggest, we are talking about sniping, which is a bid (perhaps more than one with what you are suggesting) placed in the last few seconds, where other bidders do not have time to react to your bid.

The other bidders have already decided what to bid, either they have registered that bid with Ebay already, they have it registered with a service like Gixen or some software that runs on their own computer, or (very occasionally) they are sitting with their high bid typed into their browser waiting to place it manually in the last few seconds.

In none of those circumstances is it an advantage to you to register a snipe value with Gixen that is lower than you are willing to pay but want it to increase your bid by an increment if that is not enough (N.B. you have not even specified when it should be decided that this initial amount is 'Not enough', it could be before the bid is even placed or at the last second of the auction, which is not practical to respond to even in an automated system like Gixen)... and, in general, it does not even matter what those specific bids are, yours or the other bidders... I think you need to consider what you are asking for some more.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Mark - if you don't mind paying more then enter that "more" as your maximum bid. Maximum bid is what it says it is - maximum bid. You don't necessarily end up paying your maximum, only if needed, so why not enter it right away, instead of waiting to be outbid and increase it then?

The behaviour you describe is exactly what sniping protects you from when other users do it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Ideas All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.