Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

Adjustable bid timer feature

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolfchicken123

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:03 am    Post subject: Adjustable bid timer feature Reply with quote

Hi again....

sorry for typing german before....

At first thx so much for ur nice ebay tool....

I am wondering, whether u might add some day a adujustable bid timer, like other ebay agent already got....

Best regards Wolfi
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfi, I am not sure what you mean by adjustable bid timer, but if it is what I think it is, it's called "bid offset" on Gixen, and available values are 3,6,8,10,12 and 15 seconds before auction ends. Only 6 second time is available to free users, you need mirror subscription to access the other offsets.

Also, mirror subscription is available on Gixen english site only.
franc

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't want to complain, this gixen is a very nice tool!
But 6 seconds is a bit too slow, isnt it?
Other snipers do some 3 or at least 5 seconds, manual biding would be faster if the bidder sits in front of the article, so could strike gixen bidding.

Goofbay (free as well service, missing in the list of comparing other snipers) does have this feature.

At least could you do 5 seconds?
Why 6? Is this to have the free service worse than the paid mirror service?

frank
Cupid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank,

There are numerous discussions of this subject here, from these you will see my opinion that 6 seconds is later than the optimum, for me (and Mario), we prefer 8 seconds.

This implied assertion, by many that comment here, that since sniping involves late bidding then even later must be better, is wrong. Supposedly we gain wisdom and better judgement with age, that might imply that our leaders should be the oldest in our communities... however I think most would agree that is clearly not what we should aspire to.

It is certainly not a policy to disadvantage users of the free service, it is a compromise between differing requirements from users. However it is policy to make the free service less flexible than the Mirror service, this is by no means the most important feature of a Mirror subscription though... greater reliability is far more important to successful sniping.

Last edited by Cupid on Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:36 am; edited 2 times in total
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:33 am    Post subject:

francwalter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cupid wrote:
...my opinion that 6 seconds is later than the optimum, for me (and Mario)...
Thank you, Mark.
Hence I will use Goofbid as sniper, despite I was firstly thinking this was the best sniper, after reading a bit in the FAQ and descriptions.
I use a sniper once in a half year or less, so I don't need a subscription.

frank
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

francwalter,

Almost every sniping service has something that gives away for free, and some features that are used as incentive for users to subscribe. If I recall well (and I could be wrong), goofbid does not offer group snipes, something that's completely free on Gixen.

Different snipe times (offsets) is one of features reserved for mirror subscribers on Gixen. However the main one is reliability, something that's hard to measure on paper as no service provides this data.

While $6 / year is really a symbolic amount, note that Gixen also offers "Mirror chunk" subscription that provides the same benefit to occasional users. For the same price as annual subscription you can get six 15-day mirror chunks instead of annual subscription and use them at any time (they do not expire unless activated).

Finally, the benefit of different offset is vastly overstated. Personally I use longer, not shorter offset than 6 seconds (to have ebay bid increment rules work for me, not against me), and 6 seconds is a very sensible choice anyway.
Cupid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my own experience Goofbid was not reliable enough, for me... but we are looking back some years now since I last used it so it may have improved.

I wish anyone good luck trying other services, and I remain interested in their experiences if and when they choose to return here.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank for the explanation.
This is really right, 6$ is annually not mentionable, its rather symbolic.

You say that 6 seconds offset is optimal, so I guess it is right, this is your business and I am only a sometimes bidder, without much experience.

I cannot say anything about Goofbid reliability, I used it only once.

Well then, I will use gixen then futurely.

Thank.

frank
franc

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mario wrote:
... If I recall well ..., goofbid does not offer group snipes, something that's completely free on Gixen...
Yes, Goofbid doesn't provide group snipes, that right.
I just wanted to set up a group bidding with gixen, but this group snipe is not very sophisticated (or I am not, because I didn't find it how works), because I need 2 articles in the same group out of 10 possible articles.
So with group snipe in gixen I just can snipe only one in the group, but not 2.
So this maybe great free feature doesn't help me, because it is not very good adjustable.

By the way, how can I register in this forum?
Don't find the register button.

Frank
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank, go to the settings page, and look for multi-win groups. You have to enable this feature in order to use it. Then you can define how many items you want to win in a particular group.
franc

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! This I didn't know, good!

And can you tell me other question, how to register in this forum?

frank
franc

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ask how to register, because as guest, there no email notfiication, so I could easily oversee that somebody answerd here.
Easily.
As registered user there is normally (even in this clockold phpbb 2 forum type at least) possible to check the immediate email response CheckBox, normally.
Cupid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't register yourself in this forum... only Mario can do that for you... if you intend to post in this area all the time then it can be worth asking him to do it for you.. requests are only accepted via email though... to the address on the 'Contact' tab above.

Unless you are going to use it a lot it really isn't worth being registered because the extra features are not very extensive.

Allowing users to register just attracts huge amounts of spam in this area.. the aim is to allow anyone to post here, no matter whether they have even used Gixen or not.. but to prevent spam being posted all the time.
franc

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, understand.
No, too complicated then, I use gixen not often anyway, so I will keep outside.

I don't understand this policy where anybody without beeing registered can flush this forum with spam anyway (only a very easy captcha hindering) but registering is only individual.
But I guess this is not a spam matter, it is a personal preference who can go in and not by forum admin.
His room, his right.
Goodbuy

(wont read any answer, I guess)

frank
Cupid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears that most spam is automatically posted with software and not, as you might expect, by individuals, so the measures that Mario has taken to prevent registration (which can be automated) and using captchas (which prevent automated posting) are enough to prevent the vast majority of spam posts.

It is certainly nothing personal, not even a preference.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank, registration makes spamming much easier.

It's certainly not my intent to offend anyone, and I don't see a forum account as a privilege made of gold. If you want a forum account, no problem, just email me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Ideas All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.