Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

3 seconds

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dogpile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:47 am    Post subject: 3 seconds Reply with quote

is 3 seconds cutting it too close with gixen? on my own, i normally snipe about 5 sec before ending, but that's because my connection it not super fast. thanks for your advice - i'm a 1st time user.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely not, especially if you use mirror, however you will get a warning when you choose 3 seconds anyway. I may decide to lift that warning in the future, as I haven't observed increased number of late snipes with this offset.
Sumflow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:05 pm    Post subject: Sniping theory Reply with quote

Lets not loose site of what we are doing. The auction can close before ebay has time to report the bids. Even ten-secohds does not give anyone time to respond to your bid, and on a tie the first bidder holds supreme. Gixen is doing an excellent job of placing our bids on time without anyone seeing them. Personaly I think the warning should stay. I am not sure why anyone wants to be the last bidder?
Cupid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the warning is a good feature.

Personally, due to the bid increment and first bidder rules I consider being the last bidder as a disadvantage to winning.
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:12 am    Post subject:

mightyiam

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So perhaps change the warning message to explain or to link to an explanation of eBay rules and how they make it better to be second some times.
I don't get it yet myself.
Sumflow

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:19 pm    Post subject: eBay guide Reply with quote

MightyJam here is the ebay guide for you http://goo.gl/JG859
Sumflow

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:42 pm    Post subject: Sweet spot Reply with quote

The sweet spot is to place your order, far enough before the end, where your snipe cannot be reported in time for anyone to react to your bid.

As long as you have the maximum accepted bid, it does not matter when you place your bid. To win, your bid has to be higher than the current auction price by a full increment, and it must beat the first losers highest bid by one cent, and it must be first.

1. As long as you have the accepted maximum bid it does not matter when you place it, you win.

2. If two bids are the same price, the first one placed wins.

Two seconds is too close if you really want it. The eBay site explains automatic bidding as we do here in some other posts. Gixen will bid your maximum amount, when you tell it to. eBay will place your bid the minimum increment amount above the current bid. If anyone else is higher, they will move your bid just above that until the first loser hits the maximum. The winner will win just above that price, or at that price in case of a tie if they were first.

A winning bidders maximum bid must exceed the current auction price by a full increment, but it only needs to beat the first losers highest bid by one cent to win. It depends what amount was winning when you bid comes up.

As far as a time advantage goes, as long as you have the maximum accepted bid, it does not matter when you place it. But when two bids are the same price, or the later bids fail to exceed the first bid by a full increment, the first bid wins.

In the case of a tie, the first bidder wins. The first loser can actually try to submit a price higher than the winner and still lose, if it is less than the minimim increment eBay needs to fire the bid based on the current auction price.

The sweet spot is to place your order, far enough before the end, where your bid cannot be reported in time for anyone to react to it.
sabre-150

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Sweet spot Reply with quote

Sumflow wrote:

The sweet spot is to place your order, far enough before the end, where your bid cannot be reported in time for anyone to react to it.

For me, winning or losing the bid because my bid is within the increment of another bidder, is not a huge issue.

The real issue is having the highest maximum, and then having another bidder jack up the price.

For example .. the person placed a max bid of $60 and is currently winning the bid at $50. This person puts a maximum of $75 in the box and is ready to enter this bid if the price goes above 60. You have a Gixen snipe at $80 set to go off in 6 seconds. At 5 or 6 seconds, the person sees the bid go above 60, and presses enter. You still won the bid, however you are paying $25 more because that person was able to respond.

What is the psychological human condition that makes someone do this? who knows .. heck, I did this once ... but then I got a job. I think the numbers can change in that 6 second area, and a person has a good chance of entering their final bid .. all they have to do is click the mouse. I think a 3 second offset limits this reaction to almost zero. So "sweet spot" is a personal preference at some point ... and maybe at 6 seconds the law of diminishing returns kicks in.

The bottom line is that Gixen is probably the best invention in the galaxy. As long as the 3 second bids work, I'll stay there ...if I loose in those 3 seconds then the gods don't want me to have the item .. I am good with that also. Further, with the emotional stress and time and money this has saved me, I hope this Mario guy gets rich, fame or has Tom Brady's ex supermodel wife begging him for a date.
Cupid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is tempting to assume that any bid placed after yours is a reaction to it, however there is very little evidence that this is in fact the case, as you said you only did it once.

How often do you think others would do it when you realised it was not a sensible use of your time after only one time?
sabre-150

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cupid wrote:
It is tempting to assume that any bid placed after yours is a reaction to it, however there is very little evidence that this is in fact the case, as you said you only did it once.

How often do you think others would do it when you realised it was not a sensible use of your time after only one time?

I am only talking about when a bidder places a second maximum bid after their first maximum bid was beat. I would have to say that this is most certainly a reaction to another bid ... for example this one 130629402897 which I was taking off on a plane that for the first time in my 55 flights it was actually on time (this is my pre Gixen days). The bidder beat my bid with 17 seconds left while I was climbing through 2000 feet. The bidder placed his "maximum", saw that I still beat him, waited, then placed a second "maximum" bid. This was certainly a reaction to my bid.

However, your point is well taken. most of the time I am simply getting outbid or sniped (not any more). Sniping will eventually change the nature of the auction. It takes away that (THIS IS GETTING AWAY FROM ME) adrenaline feeling, and lowers the price of items.
Cupid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, if you place a bid 8 minutes before an auction closes, as in this case, then another bidder can react.

Note, however, it took them over 30 seconds after the first attempt to outbid you before they placed another.

Perhaps I should have been more explicit I was talking about reactions to snipes placed by Gixen (as you seemed to be in a your previous post) which are always much later in the auction than this.

In this case I would even suspect that this was the seller themselves (another thing that sniping protects you against) since the item was re-listed and currently has a high bid of USD 34.00.
chenilleagain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: 3 seconds Reply with quote

dogpile wrote:
is 3 seconds cutting it too close with gixen? on my own, i normally snipe about 5 sec before ending, but that's because my connection it not super fast. thanks for your advice - i'm a 1st time user.

Have you tried the 3 sec snipe yet? My device lately really slowed down lately and I am afraid to snipe within a 3 second parameter for fear my device will take its time (it has happened) I used Snipe yesterday with a 6 sec window and I actually won the item, but there are some things coming up where 3 seconds may make or break the deal. Pls let me know if you have tried it yet.. Cindy
chenilleagain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:07 am    Post subject: Everyone using Snipe Reply with quote

What is going to happen when more and more people start using Snipe? Isn't this just going to defeat the purpose? If everyone has the edge, then it seems that we are just back to where we were just using Ebay's bidding system. I don't want everyone to know about it. I just won my first bid using Snipe at a 6 sec parameter. This is my first win since my device slowed down due to my connection. There is a girl on Ebay actively promoting Snipe in each of her postings. Everytime she posts an item for sale, she puts in a blurb about Snipe in the Description area, promoting it and trying to get everyone to use it. I cringe each time I see her post. Confused
Cupid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cindy,

You appear to be under the impression that the snipe is placed from your machine using your internet link... it isn't... your machine doesn't even need to be switched on after you have scheduled your snipe with Gixen.

It is the Gixen servers that perform the task of placing the bid at the correct time.

That said, I do not recommend the 3 second snipe... not because it is any less reliable than the 6 second snipe (especially if you have a Mirror Subscription where you have two servers in two different locations working for you) but because you are more likely to fall foul of the ebay bid increment rule which actually favours the first of the snipers not the last.

Sniping has been available for many years now and still the vast majority of people don't do it... and especially don't use automated services like Gixen... so I don't think there is any need to worry that everyone will shortly be using such services... even if that were to be the case it wouldn't really worry/bother me... it would make the importance of good research before deciding what to bid on and how much to bid even more evident to people that seek to buy things via ebay auctions... which is what I have always promoted as the most important aspect of successful sniping, in any case.
Gumby_kevbo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, many ebay users fail at understanding how sniping or proxy bidding works. They think that when they lose an auction by one bid increment, that someone bid that amount at the last second. They completely fail to understand that the winning price was most likely a proxy bid, and the winner probably put in a higher bid. They still would have lost if they had bid a little more.

Some of the questions on this forum reveal that not even all Gixen users fully understand the nuances...so keep asking!

If every ebay user used a sniping service, the proxy bidding would work just fine. What would go away would be emotion driven bidding wars that drive up prices, so it would cut into seller profits. Sellers would also have to get used to seeing no bids on their items until the last 10 seconds, and this would probably cause some mental stress. "buy it now" listings would probably become more popular.
ALWAYSSNIPING

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: 3 seconds Reply with quote

dogpile wrote:

Personally I always snipe at 3 seconds, including mirror.
I buy to sell so for me ebay is a real business.
Over 3 years I have never lost an auction due to the snipe not being entered within this time frame.
And on that note all I can say is Gixen rules - just the best. Laughing Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Impressions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.