Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

Lower Sniping Time

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gaurangbhartia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:30 am    Post subject: Lower Sniping Time Reply with quote

Hello !

I just purchased your mirror service ! Smile

I have noticed in the past 2-3 auctions that I submitted with Gixen, that 3 seconds still gives a chance to the bidder sitting in front of his computer to react and click on '1-click' bid and actually reverse snipe my bid !

I have a suggestion :

Why don't you offer time offsets such as 1 sec, 0.75 sec & 0.5 sec on an 'experimental basis'.(You can put a new field to enter time offset instead of drop-down box). I am sure it will not be a very tough job. I'll try those time settings and let you know the results (Also, if bids are not submitted due to expiry of time, then please put a note :"Submission failed due to Time Period Expiry" or something like that so that I know it has not been submitted)

Or if you can give me a custom Gixen Desktop Manager on which I can set the Time-offset of my own, that will be great)

Once I test the above times, I'll let you know the lowest possible time so that you can incorporate that in your main-stream/mirror server. Smile

Thanks
Cupid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if it is possible to react to a three second snipe, with the 1-click mechanism, which I doubt (later bids are more likely other people that use sniping software), those that attempt it must be prepared to do so, sitting at their computer waiting for the auction to end knowing they have not bid the maximum that they are prepared to pay or having scheduled a snipe... How likely do you think that is?... Would you do it?

We already know that research of this type would result in a higher proportion of late bids... and that is also going to be dependant on the time of day/week that you are trying to snipe because it will be affected by the amount of traffic on the internet and specifically the amount that is directed at the amount that is directed at the eBay servers.

I think you time would be more productively spent researching the values/prices of the items that you are interested in and setting the bid amounts accordingly.
gaurangbhartia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:16 pm    Post subject: Lower Sniping Time Reply with quote

Hi Mark !

I appreciate your reply. However I do not agree to some of your veiwpoints :

Quote:
sitting at their computer waiting for the auction to end knowing they have not bid the maximum that they are prepared to pay or having scheduled a snipe... How likely do you think that is?... Would you do it? "

Yes it is likely and Yes I have done it ! I have effectively won auction by clicking on 1-click bid at the LAST Second !

As far as maximum bidding is concerned, the concept here is not what maximum I am willing to pay but at what least price I can win the action ! Smile

I agree that the last second bids are more likely to be other ebay snipers, in which case, we should help Gixen become the best one since Mario here has been kind enough to offer us Gixen service at a very reasonable price. I want to help Gixen become the Ultimate sniper of them all ! Smile

Quote:
We already know that research of this type would result in a higher proportion of late bids... and that is also going to be dependant on the time of day/week that you are trying to snipe because it will be affected by the amount of traffic on the internet and specifically the amount that is directed at the amount that is directed at the eBay servers.

I absolutely agree with the above. I also agree that the risk of bid not getting submitted will get very high. I understand the risks. That is why I am asking Mario to put it in his Desktop manager as a text-box for time so the people who want to play with it can do so as an "EXPERIMENTAL" feature. Also after extensive testing on my side (say 5-6 months) I would let you know the lowest time that the bid usually gets submitted so then you could decide to incorporate it into your mainstream server or let it be an experimental feature through Gixen manager.

Quote:
I think you time would be more productively spent researching the values/prices of the items that you are interested in and setting the bid amounts accordingly.

Trust me I am not an impulsive buyer and research my products/valu thoroughly, but I also like others sometimes wish for getting extremely good deals. Very Happy

Plus the feature I am asking will not be very difficult to make. Only a little effort would be enough to add the feature. Adding a textbox for offset and sending the offset value to the server & mirror should not at all be a difficult job to execute. Smile
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to tell you... that I don't see any point in having snipe offset shorter than 3 seconds. In fact, I personally use 8 seconds to make sure bid increment advantage works in my favour against other snipers.

As for 1-click... you say you used it to snipe at the last moment. Fine, but was that a reaction to some other snipe, and, if so, did you actually have time to decide you want to raise your bid above that snipe, or you knew ahead of time you would bid regardless of how high it is?
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:41 pm    Post subject:

Cupid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion is also that higher offsets (not lower ones) result in obtaining items at (slightly) lower prices in the long run due to the did increment rules.

I also reiterate that I think using eBays' one click bidding feature at the end of an auction is a waste of my time, I find it far more productive to set a snipe at my maximum and then get on with my life until after the auction has finished, then I either have to pay for it or I don't. Either way I'm happy as I'm actually paying a price I feel is acceptable or I think someone else has paid too much for it no matter what their bidding strategy was.
gaurangbhartia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:10 am    Post subject: Lower Sniping Time Reply with quote

Mario :-

I don't know if it was some other sniper or a guy like me sitting on the other end ! But yes, I did manage to effectively snipe his last bid by 1-click bid. (there was a diff of only $2.5 in a bid of $300. Smile )

The whole point of having a lesser offset is that the other people do not get enough reaction time to do what I did. Smile

Cupid :-

I agree to your point that you find it very productive the way you do it, but I usually win actions at a much lower price 'manually' by sitting in front of the device when it is ending. (It only takes a few mins when the action ends... I have ebay on my android so it tells me the last min... so its not like i am sitting the whole day for 1 auction to monitor it. Razz )

I'll try and explain my situation better. Lets say I want to buy something and I want to pay about $100.
I set up my gixen with $100. But at last moment, someone bids 102.5 and takes away the aution. Now for me $2.5 is an insignificant amount. I would not like someone to snipe my auction at the last minute. To avoid that, next time I put $105 for the item, and sum1 snipes it at $107.5. I agree I am not willing to pay $107.5 and then I console myself by saying the other person paid a higher price. However what I want you to understand from the scenario is that I am practically ending up with a bidding a higher amount and your whole concept is of paying the highest amount possible, whereas mine is trying to win at the lowest possible price for that particular auction !

I have won an auction yesterday itself at $66 without using Gixen and for the same product (but different item code) my bid was sniped at the last 1 second at $68.5 when I entered the amount 10 seconds before !

The above brought to my notice that I have a much much better chance of winning something if the other person has no time to react to it !

If I bid lets say $200 and the auction got over at $300 or $250, then it is not a matter of complaint. But what has happened is that mine got sniped for a $ or two..

The whole point of using a sniper is that it becomes humanly impossible for sum1 to snipe the sniper. Smile

But then again you people might not agree to my viewpoint. Smile

However, I thought it will not be a big effort to offer the feature I am requesting.
gaurangbhartia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: Lower Sniping Time Reply with quote

And I would really appreciate if you could just have a custom compiled Gixen manager with this feature on 'Experimental basis' , if you don't wanna incorporate this into your main stream. Let your mirror customers choose if they want this feature. Smile

Thanks Smile
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fine, you have been persistent enough that I'll make one for you, you will just have to wait a few days until I fix my GDM build machine that died a few days ago. Email me so that I have your contact info.
gaurangbhartia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:11 am    Post subject: Lower Sniping Time Reply with quote

Hi Mario !

Thank you very very much ! Smile
I really appreciate your efforts !
I have sent you a mail on the email listed on your contact page (support at gixen . com )

Thanks once again !
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Ideas All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.