Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

Ability to bid on more than 1 thing in a group

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pretol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:47 pm    Post subject: Ability to bid on more than 1 thing in a group Reply with quote

I often need a couple of particular items (for example, USB Wi-fi stick), I make a group of acceptable listings, but it would be nice if I could tell gixen, how many I want to win, before it gives; instead of gixen cancelling all other listings as soon as only one is bought.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is somewhat difficult to implement, and I wonder how many users would really use this... Whenever I check the database, even contingency groups are not used almost at all.
pretol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know it seems like something that many people should want. I'm often in need of a couple of "those thingies", but I don't want to pay more than $x for any one of them...

contingency groups is a weird one (easier to implement though, just reverse the conditions), I've never had a chance to use it.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bid groups are relatively simple to implement... Bid until you get one, then cancel everything else.

Groups in which more than one item is needed would require keeping some counter on them. It's not a rocket science to implement, but it would require some changes to the database, code and UI, and I wonder if it would get enough use to justify the effort. Let me think about it.
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:07 pm    Post subject:

SweetPotato

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Groups with quantity Reply with quote

I would like to vote for this, too. I probably wouldn't use it too often, but for instance, I need 2 air filter things that cost about $40 each - and I'm going to be out of town on the day that most of the current auctions end. I would love to be able to put Qty-2 - right now I have them grouped, so the most I'll win is one. If I un-group them, I run the risk of winning 5 or more at $40 each LOL . . . can't take that risk. I really appreciate this site! You have done a great job!! Thank you so much for this service! It's wonderful, even if you never add the Qty field Smile
Jack

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:26 pm    Post subject: Is there a need to bid/win more than one item? Reply with quote

I'm not a frequent e-bay bidder, and am only now researching Gixen as a sniping agent. However, there have been past auctions where a seller offered more than one of an item, and upon winning (or losing), I got an email indicating I qualified for a "second chance" opportunity - in effect giving me the right to purchase more than one of the available items at the same price.

I know that's not exactly the same situation as what you're asking, but in the case where such an opportunity existed, wouldn't this reduce the need for such a feature?
tigting

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I wanted to win two of a particular item, I would be tempted to use two groups, each group containing roughly half of the items.

I might interleave the ending times-- eg. auctions ending first, third, and fifth in group one and auctions ending second, fourth, and sixth in group two. That way I could reassign remaining auctions to the other group after an auction has been won.

In the majority of cases, this might accomplish much the same result as what you request.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may consider allowing duplicate items if they are in different groups (for mirror users only)... This way you would be able to create two groups with identical items in them... And each group would win one item only.

There is a slight problem with this though - if offsets are the same, and bids from both groups arrive at the same time, both snipes may think they won and cancel remaining items. So it would make sense to use different offsets in different groups.

Would you find this useful enough?
DonLuigi

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mario wrote:
I may consider allowing duplicate items if they are in different groups (for mirror users only)... This way you would be able to create two groups with identical items in them... And each group would win one item only.

There is a slight problem with this though - if offsets are the same, and bids from both groups arrive at the same time, both snipes may think they won and cancel remaining items. So it would make sense to use different offsets in different groups.

Would you find this useful enough?

Huh, this doesn't seem very straight forward concept to me.

I would vote for original suggestion. Right now I am trying to buy two identical items out of 7 auctions that are few minutes apart.

I will have to sit behind the computer to snipe manually.

As far as changes go - sure, in your db you have to add counter of successful snipes in a group.

Code changes I guess wouldn't be that hard - cancelation condition changes to incorporate counter as well.

As for UI, you could just add number of items box in between group selection combo and offsets and shade it unless group is selected.

This would be a nice extension to grouping and would make it more clear. For example, prior to first using groups, I had to check the documentation when group bids are canceled.
It would be more clear if I had seen "Cancel after |1| item won" .

Cheers,
Luka
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Ideas All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.