Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

Suspending bids

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:36 pm    Post subject: Suspending bids Reply with quote

I started using Gixen to let me bid at the last possible moment without being at the computer at that time. But I've found that its biggest benefit to me is that I can cancel a bid -- So long as the auction has yet to end, I can change my mind. eBay isn't nearly as nice about that.

So... I'd like if there were a way to improve my waffling. A "suspend bid" option would keep the record of the scheduled bid (including my bid price) at Gixen's website, but not make a bid at all -- unless, of course, I were to reinstate the bid. That would make it easy for me to reconsider a bid without fully cancelling it.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to avoid providing any auction management tools in order to keep Gixen database as lean and small as possible. Why don't you just add items you are watching to "My eBay" watch list?
Snu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it is a bit off the main purpose of Gixen. And there are lots of other ways to keep track of auctions. (When I think to do so, I tend to use plain old bookmarks for them.) I was just thinking about the convenience of it.

Now that I think about it, since I'm already using the API to place bids, I can just automatically create a local copy of the bid. That will take care of things for me just fine.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, that's interesting that you use API. I don't have many API users, so I am always curious about it. How do you use it, and why?
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject:

Snu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Windows automation/scripting program called QuickMacros (i.e., http://www.quickmacros.com/) to place bids. It's a simple script which just pulls out the key auction information from the current web page, then puts up a box for me to fill in a price. It's roughly similar to what the GreaseMonkey script does, but has some tweaks that I prefer. (It puts the name of the item in the bid window, shows the shipping charge, makes the default bid the lowest allowable amount instead of $0.99, and doesn't require me to keep the window open for a while to check for error messages.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Ideas All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.