Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

Bid Timings

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mpdennett

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:34 am    Post subject: Bid Timings Reply with quote

I have just been outbid on 303303022336 by 9 seconds. I have both settings at 2 seconds. How is this possible and should I change the two Timings?.
Rickajho

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you place the bid or modify anything about your bid here on gixen in the last two minutes before the auction ended? That doesn't give gixen enough time to do what it needs to do to place a bid or modify a bid. That's why the 2 minute warning is there whenever you are on the bidding page on your account.

Rick
mpdennett

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:22 am    Post subject: Bad Timings Reply with quote

No. It was more than two minutes.
Cupid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect there is some confusion here.

It isn't the last accepted bid that wins on Ebay it is the highest accepted bid that wins.

There was a bid of $60 placed with one second to go, it didn't win because someone else placed a higher bid than that (at least $61) nine seconds earlier. That is completely normal operation with the losing bidder getting an OUTBID status on Gixen.

The amount of your bid is always more significant than the timing; once someone has decided to place a bid that is at least one bid increment more than yours the only way to win that auction is to have decided yourself to bid more. Sniping only helps to win against other buyers that might reconsider what they are prepared to bid AFTER your bid has been placed.

I don't recommend such low offsets higher offsets are more than sufficient to counter other bidders actually changing their mind and placing another higher bid, which is the only scenario where sniping helps. That is my view, not because your bid is more likely to be late, but because you loose the advantage of the bid increment rule.
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:13 am    Post subject:

mpdennett

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:56 am    Post subject: Bad Timings Reply with quote

Thank you. I’m new to this what timings do you suggest?.
Cupid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I recommend offsets slightly higher than the default of 6 seconds for items that attract many snipers in order to gain the advantage of getting in before the other snipers and gain the advantage of the bid increment rule.

That is certainly not everyone's view, and that is both why it remains an option for you to choose the offsets for every snipe you set up and also why it has been, and continues to be, discussed so many times on this forum. The best way to find some of those discussions is to use the search facility here and perhaps search for something like 'offset'.

Last edited by Cupid on Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:33 am; edited 1 time in total
mpdennett

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject: Bad Timings Reply with quote

Changed the offset settings to 8 seconds each and won with a fiver to spare. Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.