Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

A seller seems to be subverting the process

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ratcobob

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: A seller seems to be subverting the process Reply with quote

And it would seem to require internal Gixen access/collusion so I'm curious.
Several times I have set a snipe only to be outbid by exactly $1 on ebay.com/usr/nps?_trksid=p2047675.l2559. This exact item (scratch,dent, etc) then reappears on the site to be auctioned again.
I realize that any seller can buy their own item if they think the price is too low and are willing to pay the fees.
I'm curious how they can accomplish this without access/collusion. I'm not complaining as I like both Gixen and this seller. I'm just trying to learn how this works.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is normal - google for eBay proxy bidding, that's how eBay works.

You do not know the maximum bid of the winning bidder - all you see is the second maximum bid + bid increment. The winning bidder may have bid much more than the winning price, but again, you cannot see that.
ratcobob

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: So this is just their way of setting a reserve Reply with quote

mario wrote:
This is normal - google for eBay proxy bidding, that's how eBay works.

You do not know the maximum bid of the winning bidder - all you see is the second maximum bid + bid increment. The winning bidder may have bid much more than the winning price, but again, you cannot see that.

Thanks Mario. Seemed strange and you made it obvious. Best wishes.
Siaynoqau

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Shill bidding Reply with quote

"I realize that any seller can buy their own item if they think the price is too low"

Just to note a seller is NOT allowed to bid on their own items under any circumstances (nor are they allowed to let someone else do so without the express intention of actually selling the item to that person. It comes under 'Shill bidding' and is actually against the law in many places. ebay has a reporting system if you think this has happened.
pages.ebay.com/help/policies/seller-shill-bidding.html
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Shill bidding

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Impressions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.