Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

bid increments

View previous topic :: View next topic  
obsoletewatchandclockpart

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: bid increments Reply with quote

Your message: hi, I wonder if any one can explain why on 2 occasions I have not won an auction i am curious as to why. ebay item no 112269901502 I put in a snipe at 15 seconds, with a bid of GBP 4,651.51 I was under bidder with the winner putting in a 4 seconds later snipe of GBP 4,678. according to bid increments GBP 3000 + = GBP 100 he should have had to but in a bid higher that GBP 4,751.51. as it happens I know the winner & he said that his maximum bid was indeed GBP 4,678. if you look at the bid history his bid was 4 seconds later than mine.

Same thing has happened again tonight. Ebay item No 252745050680 I put my snipe of GBP 136.01 4 seconds before him but he won with GBP 136.99. bid increments are GBP 2.
any idea what happened or am I missing something here?
thanks
regards
John
Cupid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rule is that the bid must be one bid increment more than the current auction price, not one bid increment more than your bid, which can't be seen at the time someone else bids, in any case, unless there is another bid within one bid increment of yours.

So, in the first case, when the winners bid was placed the auction price was GBP 1,245.00 + 1 bid increment of GBP 20.00 = GBP 1,265.00 that was your bid so far as the other buyer was concerned.

So the bidder only had to place a bid of GBP 1,265.00 + GBP 20.00 = GBP 1,285.00.

If their bid had been GBP 4,601.52 they would still have won and only had to pay that much. Your bid was actually 4,601.51, not 4,651.51 as you stated,

The bid of GBP 2,066.66 was actually the last bid, it shouldn't really have been accepted at all, but Ebay must have been running slow at that moment and not been updated to the fact that the price should already have been higher than that.

The second case is very similar... The auction price when the last bid was placed was just GBP 103.56 with you winning... I'll leave it to you to fill in the details.

Selecting the 'Show automatic bids' link at the top right on the bids page can also help you to see what happened, and how Ebay works.
obsoletewatchandclockpart

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

many thanks mark for the explanation, I now understand.
regards
John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.