Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

Desktop vs Website?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
daquadavi_2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject: Desktop vs Website? Reply with quote

I'm currently using the desktop version with a bid on a jacket that ends this Thursday (Hopefully I win lol), but I'm curious if I'm better of sticking with the desktop program, or just using the biding thing on this website?
Cupid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are just different interfaces to the same service, so it doesn't make any difference in terms of the outcome.

The Gixen Desktop Manager, was developed to provide an interface in which the auction price can be updated more often than in the web interface. This is because your computer does the work of checking back with Ebay and fetching the current price... something that was found to be much too resource intensive for the Gixen servers to perform in real time for all the snipes being hosted by Gixen.
daquadavi_2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:07 pm    Post subject: One more question lol Reply with quote

Thanks for the other reply, but I have one more question lol. Say I have a max bid of $50 for an item that is currently bidded at $30. Will Gixen program snipe me a bid of $31 at the 6sec mark, or will it just snipe me my max bid which was $50?
Rickajho

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: One more question lol Reply with quote

daquadavi_2 wrote:
Thanks for the other reply, but I have one more question lol. Say I have a max bid of $50 for an item that is currently bidded at $30. Will Gixen program snipe me a bid of $31 at the 6sec mark, or will it just snipe me my max bid which was $50?

Well, there's a whole pile of "it depends" for ya.

Bidding is bidding - so your Gixen bid follows the exact same rules as if you place the bid on the eBay web site yourself.

Under the most basic example you are citing - yes, your bid placed via Gixen will only be the next highest bid increment required at that time.

But if there are outstanding proxy bids from other bidders higher than $31.00 your bid will automatically escalate as high as it needs to go - up to your $50.00 max - the same way it does on eBay.

One thing that people seem to miss is that if you are bidding on any item with a reserve set your bid will jump right to the reserve price. If the reserve price on that item you are bidding on is $45.00 and you bid $50.00 your bid jumps straight to $45.00 to meet the reserve price that was set by the seller. That's the eBay rule regarding items with a reserve set.

Short version: Gixen only places your bid for you. eBay sets the rules about what happens with that bid and those rules are the same if you do a snipe or place the bid directly at eBay.
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: One more question lol

Cupid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I can improve on Rickajho's excellent response.

As they imply, you can't usually tell what actual bid has been placed if the current auction price is $30... the actual bid you are competing against might be much higher... Ebay only ever shows the bid amount required to win the auction at any particular time.

In fact, I'm considering a relaxing retirement Wink
r_il377

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cupid we love you! please stay Mr. Green
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.