Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

A word of Caution

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Litigo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:41 pm    Post subject: A word of Caution Reply with quote

I began to use Gixen ~2 weeks ago. I have used Gixen for 3-4 Ebay auctions. I won 3, lost 1. Foolishly, my ebay password and Paypal password were the same. Paypal froze my account today. When I inquired, Paypal informed me that my account had been briefly accessed from China late last night. Nothing stolen, nothing charged, just accessed from China. After thinking about it carefully, the only new variable I can pinpoint within the last 30 days is Gixen.

None of the above is "conclusive evidence" of any wrongdoing by Gixen. At best it is only anecdotal evidence that may suggest a connection. What happened to me might have nothing to do with my use of Gixen. I report it here so that if others have a similar experience, a body of evidence grows. If others are not having a similar experience, it may suggest Gixen had nothing to do with what happened to me. Aside from my Paypal account getting hacked, I had no problems with Gixen, and found it easy to use and effective for its purpose.

This is a word of caution only, not an indictment; please take it as such.
Cupid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caution is wise, I respect that.

There are many users if Gixen now, if your experience were related to your Gixen activity we would certainly have many more people reporting such issues.

Mario as owner of this site would face prosecution if evidence of wrong doing were available... There is also no connection between Mario and China (that I know of).

I think it is also evident that this site has far more to loose from such activity than it could ever gain from it, usually it can only access your eBay account in any case, most users recognise that it is not a good idea to have the same password for their Paypal account as they do for eBay.

Mario would also be alerted to any unauthorised access to the Gixen servers, he has controls in place to monitor that.

That said, if anyone else would like to contribute, please go ahead... This forum is not censored as long as the topic is related to Gixen and sniping, which this is.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guarantee you that the breach did not come from Gixen. I am the only person with access to servers, I have extensive security measures to both prevent intrusion and notify me if any happens, and I intentionally delete passwords 48 hours after they are no longer needed (last auction ends).

I don't do things that are even a bit unethical, nevertheless criminal. Note that the breach may have happened a long time ago - these guys probably collect passwords over a long period of time, and then withdraw money from all the accounts at the same time.

All Gixen servers are located in the United States, I don't have any presence in China.
Sumflow

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:00 pm    Post subject: China Reply with quote

Paypal is always trying to find ways to get you to use a unique password. How many notices did they send out to people who do not have an Gixen account, a thousand, ten thousand?

I got a notice that my Gmail was accessed from the mainland. Use a different password and forget about it. There is no reason to suspect they got it from Gixen, or one of your Bank, or credit card accounts. More likely if anyone did, they hacked into eBay to get your eBay password.
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:00 pm    Post subject: China

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Impressions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.