Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

Gixen Failed to Bid

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaraWins

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Gixen Failed to Bid Reply with quote

Please take a look at auction # 110347252890. I entered a higher bid than the winner of this auction, and no bids on my behalf appear when I look at the auction. What happened? Thanks in advance for your time.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please see http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/bid-increments.html and you will understand. It's not enough that your bid is higher; it has to be higher for a certain increment.
CaraWins

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:56 am    Post subject: Bid Increments Rather Inconsistant (See Examples) Reply with quote

Thanks for your response. If this is the case then please explain why/how these auctions were won in increments of less than $.50. (I'm not trying to be difficult-just trying to prevent this from occurring in the future)

Auction # 180326220823 My winning bid: $6.02
Auction # 360129488480 My winning bid $36.99
Auction # 360129442807 My Winning bid: $20.49

The information you provided a link to also indicates, in FAQ:

Can I be outbid by less than a full increment?

You can be outbid by less than a full increment. A winning bidder's maximum bid needs only to exceed the next highest maximum bid by one cent.

Am I missing something? Please advise.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of these were won by a full increment.

You only need a full increment over the current high bid, not the current high bidder's maximum bid.

This is clearly explained (with examples) in "Can I be outbid by less than a full increment?" section of the page I referred you to.
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject:

Cupid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK this is eBays example of how you may be outbid by 0.01

eBay wrote:

1. You're the first bidder and you place a maximum bid of 20.00. We'll automatically bid on your behalf up to 20.00 against other bidders.
2. When a second bidder places a maximum bid of 9.00, your bid is automatically raised to 9.50.
3. When a third bidder bids 20.01, this bidder becomes the high bidder at 20.01. The third bidder needs only to exceed your next automatic bid amount of 10.00 (9.50 plus 0.50). Since 20.01 is more than 10.00, and is also more than your maximum bid, the third bidder becomes the winning bidder, unless you raise your bid.

Lets change it to a slightly different scenario that demonstrates how another user may be forced to enter a bid that is at least one increment above yours:

Cupid wrote:

1. You're the first bidder and you place a maximum bid of 20.00. We'll automatically bid on your behalf up to 20.00 against other bidders.
2. When a second bidder places a maximum bid of 19.70, your bid is automatically raised to 20.00.
3. When a third bidder comes to place a bid they must enter a bid of at least 20.50 (the current auction price plus at least one increment of 0.50). Hence you can no longer be outbid by as little as 0.01.

CaraWins

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: My Bad Reply with quote

mario wrote:
All of these were won by a full increment....

Okay you're right, my bad. I was confusing winning by at least one increment with the winning bid being in those increments. I reread ebay's section on bidding increments and think I'm clear now. Thanks to both of you for taking the time to respond.

I'm discovering sniping via service is somewht less foolproof than anticipated. (Rotfl Wink I think I won the daily award for daft questions that day ) Still well worth the annual fee to regain my free time, though.

Cest la vie...

Happy Valentines Day weekend everyone!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.