eBay username
eBay Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.
Forum is available in English only.


   SearchSearch     

Did Gixen attempt to steal my ebay account??

 
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Impressions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
kolo
Guest





PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Did Gixen attempt to steal my ebay account?? Reply with quote

I've used Gixen on & off for several months with great success. However, just the other day after placing a bid I was notified that my account had been compromised and password changed. When clearing things up with Ebay, I mentioned that I had used Gixen just a few hours prior and was told by the Ebay person that this has been an ONGOING complaint by several ebay customers with Gixen. Rather shocked, since my association with Gixen up until now had been perfect, I looked at online reviews and found several complaints about Gixen & Ebay accounts being compromised. All said they used Gixen & within an hour or so they discovered or were informed that their Ebay account had been stolen. Below is one complaint. Anyone else have this sort of trouble with Gixen????

Post from: honestforum.com/hf-chat/129962-beware-gixen-ebay-auto-sniper.html

I just wanted to let everyone know NOT to use the free Gixen Auto Sniper. I wanted to snipe something the other day, so I typed in my information and 2 hours later someone got into my account, changed my password to ebay and my email address. They listed 10 things before Ebay must have thought something was wrong and shut them down. Then they even got into my paypal account and charged $182 to GoDaddy.com. It took me 2 days total to get everything straightened out.

Thank God I was on the computer that night and noticed something was wrong or they could have had a field day with my Paypal account. SO, anyway, I just wanted to warn you because I know alot of you use those auto snipers.
Back to top
Gixen
Advertisements





PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Did Gixen attempt to steal my ebay account??

Back to top
jack
Guest





PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Wow Reply with quote

Shocked OMG! Reading all those complaints is scary. I like gixen but will be wary. Thanks for posting this.
Back to top
mario
Site Admin


Joined: 03 Oct 2006
Posts: 4842

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gixen absolutely does nothing with your password except placing snipes! I guarantee that with my own name. Plus I live in the country where laws are enforced - I would sure be prosecuted if I did anything criminal.

Yes, eBay has reset some passwords automatically in the past, this does happen, but this is probably due to their system detecting bids from different IPs. This is still quite rare though. I'm sure it happens with other sniping services as well.

There was also absolutely no breach of security at Gixen - and if someone broke in to your eBay account, this was not due to you using Gixen. Better think where else you've been leaving your eBay password. Gixen has tens of thousands of happy customers, and had I been doing in the past what you suggest, I'd be behind bars by now.

Mario.

P.S. I wonder why people make allegations like these in various forums, instead of asking me directly or posting it here? Again, I don't censor any posts.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
juangrande



Joined: 09 Aug 2007
Posts: 519
Location: San Diego, California, USA

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a shame that people will make allegations on a public forum without first checking their facts. One should, of course, be nervous if one's password were reset by eBay. The fact that the eBay representative replied that there had been ongoing complaints regarding Gixen is misleading: what it means is that eBay has been resetting passwords when they shouldn't have and the offended parties have mentioned Gixen while trying to clear it up. Of course, the eBay representative would not know enough to explain why the password was reset because it was done automatically by eBay's software and eBay doesn't make enough information available to their representatives for them to explain exactly why the password was reset. So, of course, they just agree with the complainant that it was due to something Gixen did rather than admit that it could be a mistake by eBay.

It's much more likely that the password was reset because it was too short or didn't have enough non-alphabetic characters: things which are the responsibility of the user to correct. It's too bad that the eBay representatives can't explain why the password was reset and it's worse that they willingly (enthusiastically, in fact) shift the blame to Gixen. Gixen is the most rock-solid sniping service there is and I have trusted it to bid on items over $1000.00. It's at least as safe as any other sniping service out there and it's pure balderdash to suggest otherwise.

Just my humble opinion. Very Happy
_________________
John

"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else."
--- Yogi Berra
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nochkin
Guest





PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"You get what you paid for". People say it, but still looking for the lowest price deal Smile
On another hand, it's so much easy to blame their own mistake to someone else. I bet OT post her password on many other places (especially, when she confessed that she use the same password everywhere, which is unsecure already).
Back to top
mario
Site Admin


Joined: 03 Oct 2006
Posts: 4842

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nochkin wrote:
"You get what you paid for".


I'm quite frustrated when I see this sentence (not that I think you mean it nochkin), as nothing could be further from the truth when it's about Gixen.

So when something like this happens (allegations of password stealing, etc), it makes me wonder if I'm a fool providing such a service at this low cost - apparently it makes people suspicious and skeptical, quite the opposite of what is desired. Understandably, I get quite upset, and what eventually calms me down is when I see the numbers keep growing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
nochkin
Guest





PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mario wrote:
nochkin wrote:
"You get what you paid for".

I'm quite frustrated when I see this sentence (not that I think you mean it nochkin), as nothing could be further from the truth when it's about Gixen.

Exactly! I'm jumping crazy when I hear it also.
Some people think that if something came with zero price, that means it's zero quality. Although, many use Firefox, for example...
Back to top
mario
Site Admin


Joined: 03 Oct 2006
Posts: 4842

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just discovered that in the last day or so, this person started a whole campaign against Gixen, making a post here, at Auction Software Review, and other forums. At all these forums the poster information is "private", and there is no way to contact him/her.

The IP address the post above was posted from has NEVER been used to log in to Gixen, nor any IP number on the same subnet. Consider me paranoid, but this looks like a smear campaign deliberately started by someone who never even used Gixen.

I am trying to reply to all these posts, hoping that (future) users will realize the difference in accountability between me (with real name and address) and an anonymous poster.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
nochkin
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. I bet that this is one of these people who did not win his/her auction while using your sniper (probably due to low bid) and is really mad right now.
So the simplest thing is to ask his/her friends to make such posts with random nicknames.

Posting responses like you do is the best thing to do. Normal person would read both of them and take their own judgement.
Sounds like that person is just too desperate for revenge and your calm responses will have a more heavier weight anyway.

What was the IP address? Is it at least US-located?
Back to top
Andy Geldman
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is Andy from Auction Software Review.

I use Gixen myself and have no question whatsoever that the service is legitimate.

I think it's possible that this person has been confused by eBay's ill-informed customer service rep and now thinks they have been scammed - I can see how that could happen.

I hope that the lack of real evidence to back up this claim, and the fact that there's no-one else out there complaining about Gixen, demonstrates to the original poster - and other forum readers - that they are mistaken.

Mario, I can understand that this is frustrating and you have sacrificed a lot to provide this service. No-one should criticize you if you need to start charging sensible fees.
Back to top
mario
Site Admin


Joined: 03 Oct 2006
Posts: 4842

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Geldman wrote:
Mario, I can understand that this is frustrating and you have sacrificed a lot to provide this service. No-one should criticize you if you need to start charging sensible fees.


Thank you Andy... No, the main service will remain free... I'm confident that one day this all will pay off.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Finite
Guest





PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a relatively new user and I don't doubt your personal integrity and the integrity of your program in the slightest. I also researched Gixen (and other options) before I jumped in and I've nothing but praise.

Interesting 'campaign' and I agree with Andy Geldman and juangrande, including about the lack of supporting evidence. Quite frankly, if this person's eBay account has been compromised, it's more likely they responded to one of the more convincing Paypal scam emails, a bogus second chance offer, or the like. Sad, but according the Answer Centre and forums, this does continue to happen.

Count me as another who believes cost often bears an inverse relationship to level of service: quality isn't always expensive.


(BTW, I've just searched my local eBay forums and Answer Centre, and the US Answer Centre and two US forums, and found only nine mentions of Gixen. Eight were recommendations, one was about a login problem with sniper programs not an eBay account. Make of that what you will.)
Back to top
Finite
Guest





PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops! There's another forum I should've checked before posting, the forum cited in the original post: honestforum.com/hf-chat/129962-beware-gixen-ebay-auto-sniper.html

That first complaint about Gixen dates from July 2007, that's the complaint by the person who used the same email for everything and had their Paypal account compromised too. Looks like a classic phishing victim. The second is from earlier this month. Hardly an avalanche and even more reason to think the advice from eBay was both inaccurate and confusing as per Andy Geldman's post - and as borne out by posts on the Answer Centre and eBay forums about contradictory, confusing and downright inaccurate information from eBay staff on matters of account security. Alas.
Back to top
stayathomemom9120
Guest





PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: allegations shmallegations Reply with quote

i'm a longtime ebay user and brand new gixen subscriber (bought mirror before my first snipe - research proved it's fantastic and the cost certainly makes it affordable compared to the competition). after reading the forum i felt compelled to reply.

the allegations made - which are ridiculous - fall into the legal definition of slander & border on defamation of character. i'm not suggesting you lawyer up or anything but since it's likely that the moron is reading all of this perhaps they'll watch what they say a bit more or dare we hope stop making fake claims all together?
Back to top
shabaan
Guest





PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Ebay account compromised/suspended Reply with quote

I am new toGixen service and I liked the free support so much so that I paid the $6/ for additional features through paypal, won a couple of auctions through you.



How ever I am disturbed because Ebay sent me a notification about my password being compromised and I had to reset the Ebay and my email passwords. and Paypal, lots of tension and time, and it happened after midnight, I was on the computer fortunately.

Am I at a security risk using your service , will this happen again should I use Gixen, I am confused pl advice. I Believe I choose the correct company in bidding. Any suggestuions advice anything I could have done wrong, this is the first time in years tthat I had problem with Ebay
Back to top
Big*Bear
Guest





PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just joined Gixen but have been using Ebay with other snipers 'i.e. Auctionstealer' for years. Your comment is worrying but should not drive anyone to change their passwords at the drop of a hat.

In principle secure passwords should be changed regularly anyway. At work we have to change login passwords every 4 weeks or so. It's a real pain but it does mean the system is very safe. Also make sure you use a different password for different acounts especially paypal. That way anyone getting into your ebay account, which in my view is really unlikely, would not have access to the associated paypal account aswell.

I have read the whole thread and the responses from Mario, who I understand runs Gixen. I am sure the auto-reset of an ebay password or an email stating 'ebay account has been compromised' is as a result of the bid coming from an IP address not linked to the ebay account. If I receive such an email from ebay I will simply ignore it. Obviously I will check my accounts out but I will not panic. There are too many safe guards in the ebay/paypal system for any genuine problems to occur as a result of sniping.

Look at it this way there are 1000's of people using Gixen and other sniping systems. If the problem was a common one or if Gixen were genuinely illegally accessing an ebay account there would be lots of complaints about it and the culprits would be quickly caught. Also for an individual to break into an ebay account and place a bid then give a delivery address different from the paypal credit card address seeems the most stupidly criminal thing to do. If the purpose is to get access to paypal via ebay then an auction would have to be won first and the password and paypal login (usually an email address & password) would have to be somewhere in your ebay account, which as far as I am aware is not the case. So it all seems complete rubbish.

Just make sure your paypal and ebay passwords are different. Ideally, your papyal and ebay accounts should be set up with separate email addresses.

I hope I have helped reassure you a little.
Back to top
mario
Site Admin


Joined: 03 Oct 2006
Posts: 4842

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shabaan, I already replied to your email, but I'll explain here too.

This happened to some Gixen users before - although it is quite rare. I assure you that Gixen did not use your account for anything other than placing a bid for you. What, I believe, happens, is that ebay automatic tools detect logins from two different IPs and trigger this. As from what I heard so far, this is quite rare, and does not happen consistently, so when you unlock your account, it shouldn't happen again. It looks worse than it is really.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
maxie
Guest





PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject: don't use gixen ... Reply with quote

GIXEN is unsafe...
Back to top
Cupid



Joined: 09 Aug 2007
Posts: 2929
Location: Bristol, UK

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: don't use gixen ... Reply with quote

maxie wrote:
GIXEN is unsafe...


Would you care to enlighten us with some evidence?

Or is it, as I suspect, that you are just being malicious trying to highlight a thread that is well over two years old... there has never been any censorship of such views on this forum... but can we have an adult discussion if there is something to talk about, please?

I disagree, by the way.
_________________
Mark
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nochkin
Guest





PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cupid,
I think maxie is just another troll. It probably won't read your response anyway.
Back to top
Long time ebayer
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: don't use gixen ... Reply with quote

maxie wrote:
GIXEN is unsafe...


What a load of ****.

Ebay user for many, many years. Many of my friends use ebay and some use Gixen.

Nothing but praise for Gixen and Mario.

Enough said.
Back to top
ellehcim3
Guest





PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: gixen Reply with quote

]i have been using gixen for over a year and i always bid through it. I have never had any problems with it, it was recommended to me and i would recommend it to anyone. Saves so much time, and stops you from being drawn in to a bidding war.
Back to top
trueblue27610
Guest





PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: Sad Reply with quote

mario wrote:
I just discovered that in the last day or so, this person started a whole campaign against Gixen, making a post here, at Auction Software Review, and other forums. At all these forums the poster information is "private", and there is no way to contact him/her.

The IP address the post above was posted from has NEVER been used to log in to Gixen, nor any IP number on the same subnet. Consider me paranoid, but this looks like a smear campaign deliberately started by someone who never even used Gixen.

I am trying to reply to all these posts, hoping that (future) users will realize the difference in accountability between me (with real name and address) and an anonymous poster.



You know, Mario, this tactic has been tried, and been unfortunately successful, with other services, as well as by competitors in the restaurant business in the review sections of publications. One of the oldest tricks in the book of promoting your own service is by destroying your competitor's credibility.
Back to top
Moloth
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Gixen Reply with quote

mario wrote:

Thank you Andy... No, the main service will remain free... I'm confident that one day this all will pay off.


I can believe that this person has not actually used your service and is trying to start a smear campaign. I've used your free service for a while and have been more than impressed with your reliability and in these forums your honesty. Because of your ongoing free service I've just become a subscriber. Keep up the good work Very Happy
Back to top
mario
Site Admin


Joined: 03 Oct 2006
Posts: 4842

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Moloth, great to hear.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
susanhip2u
Guest





PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: I love it!!! Reply with quote

I am putting a gixen link on all my ebay auctions.... hope thats kool!!!!!!! Very Happy
Back to top
Cupid



Joined: 09 Aug 2007
Posts: 2929
Location: Bristol, UK

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: I love it!!! Reply with quote

susanhip2u wrote:
I am putting a gixen link on all my ebay auctions.... hope thats kool!!!!!!! Very Happy


That might not be such a good idea because eBay do not allow the advertising of sniping sites on the auction pages. I think they allow it on your 'Me' page, but they could close auctions that have such links.
_________________
Mark


Last edited by Cupid on Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RMcGeddon
Guest





PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject: Ebay/Gixen Reply with quote

Because Ebay makes its money from commission (as a percentage of sale price), it is in Ebay's own interests for all auctions to reach the highest possible price. For all the reasons clearly laid out in the "why snipe?" article, Gixen & other bid snipers often enable buyers to purchase at a price lower than would be achieved had the bid been placed earlier. This is why so many "Ebayers" sit by their pc's waiting for the dying seconds of auctions before submitting their bids. They are in effect sniping manually. Just compare the amount of bids submitted early compared to the amount received in the last few minutes of auctions if you doubt this.

Because Ebay's interests lie with the sellers (who pay their commission) and Gixen is a tool which may help buyers to keep the price lower, of course Ebay will be antagonistic to the use of its use. I would be VERY surprised if Ebay reps were not all briefed to be as critical as possible of the use of sniping software & services.

When you talk to Ebay, bear in mind that they stand to make money from you & anything they say to you will be coloured by this. Remember also: if they didn't see you as a potential profit source, they wouldn't talk to you AT ALL!
Back to top
nochkin
Guest





PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RMcGeddon
The problem is that you are talking within one listing only, and not looking at sniping service more globally.
For example, when I started to use sniper, then I buy much more compared to what I'd buy without it. I used to forget to place a bid, return to some listing, or simply would not get into "shopping spree" kind of mood.
I may win at lower prices, but I buy more stuff on eBay. Not to mention a better eBay experience and recommending my friends to get stuff on eBay.
Back to top
Cupid



Joined: 09 Aug 2007
Posts: 2929
Location: Bristol, UK

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that is a very good point nochkin, since I started using a sniping service the amount that I spend on eBay has increased not decreased. Yes the money may be spread more thinly across many more auctions, but the overall affect on prices is undoubtedly to raise them, since I bid on far more than I used to.

So I also lose far more than I used to, the cost of losing an auction is nothing to me, however there is a gain in the fees collected for eBay.

I'm sure eBay are well aware of this, it is however not in their interests to provide a sealed bid service directly to its' users as that would deter many more people from placing bids and hence decrease their revenue.
_________________
Mark
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
magicmarkie
Guest





PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:38 am    Post subject: Request for photographic evidence Reply with quote

I use Gixen as a matter of course and I have researched it very well. Our company has the means to research programs and any company.
I can assure you Gixen is a first rate service and is also run by stand up people.
Do your research first and then give an opinion I think Gixen has been singled out by some idiot with a grudge that is based on no fact what so ever.
You go Gixen we love your service.

Do not be put of by the original post any new comer's test the service for your self, I guarantee you will be happy with the end result.

Regards Mark
Back to top
Cupid



Joined: 09 Aug 2007
Posts: 2929
Location: Bristol, UK

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,

The original post on this thread was in March 2008, while I agree it may have been malicious, it has been countered, and it should also be noted that there have been no further accusations since then.
_________________
Mark
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Impressions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.