Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

DOES HIGHER BID AUTOMATICALLY CANCELS MY ENTRY TO AUCTION

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tio200

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: DOES HIGHER BID AUTOMATICALLY CANCELS MY ENTRY TO AUCTION Reply with quote

371932156976..what happens when I receive a notice form Gixen that my placed bid has already been surpassed by someone else (Yellow notification), if the other higher bid cancels before the auction has ended will i then still have my bid placed and perhaps win that auction, or does my bid automatically get cancelled once GIXEN had received notice that another bid is higher, and therefore unless I increase my bid it will not even be listed. id #371932156976
Cupid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The yellow highlighting is only an indication that if things stay as they are your bid will be rejected by Ebay.

If current bids are cancelled and the price falls as a result your bid may still be placed by Gixen.

The exception to this is in the l;st two minutes of the auction... at that stage Gixen makes a judgement as to whether it is worthwhile even logging you in, when it knows the bid will be rejected. So if someone manages to cancel their bid in the last few seconds of an auction, then that may cause you bid not to be placed when it should have been.

There are some restrictions on cancelling earlier bids, in the last few hours of an auction... but bidders can still cancel bids that have been placed only a few minutes before.. in order to allow people to correct their mistakes, if they realize as soon as they have made them. Unfortunately this loop hole does also open the door to some bid shielding... a practice that does appear to be on the rise on Ebay these days since they appear not to take any action to prevent it happening, even when you report such suspicious activity... which does break their rules... it is referred to by Ebay as 'auction manipulation'.
tio200

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: BID SHIELDING Reply with quote

Definition of: bid shielding. bid shielding. An illegitimate way to preserve a low bid in an online auction. It takes three people. The first places a low bid and the other two immediately bid high and keep bidding higher, which is intended to eliminate all other interested parties.
Cupid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It only requires two accounts, because of the way Ebay proxy bidding works... but, since Ebay allows you to set up multiple accounts, they may all actually be under the control of the same person.

The first account places a very high bid, the second account then immediately places a quite high bid, still way above the value of the item. This prevents anyone else placing a realistic bid on the item, because the price is already too high. Then in the last seconds of the auction one of the bids is removed, allowing the other bid to win for a very low amount.
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:13 am    Post subject:

tio200

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: CORRUPTION AND BID SHIELDING Reply with quote

i think that you have corrupted me,as I have never even heard of bid shielding and now I am tempted to try using it.. but I will hold off..
Cupid

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please don't try it... it is against Ebays rules... and, depending where you live, I think I heard once that it can even be illegal...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.