Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

First time using this site and... ...FAILED! DX

View previous topic :: View next topic  
traviweise6

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: First time using this site and... ...FAILED! DX Reply with quote

This is the first time I have ever used eBay or this site to bid on something. But the site didn't put in my bid at the last second. Instead I just got an error on my scheduled bids that said. "EBAY ERROR: PAGE NOT RESPONDING".

So is that "99.5% reliable" part on the home page a lie, or is it just my bad luck again? Either way I think you guys need to lower that % number some to make it more accurate.
Rolling Eyes
Cupid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A sample size of one is not really very conclusive, is it ?

If 1 in 200 are likely to fail on a single server, then it follows that most likely 1 in 200 of users that try this for the first time will have their very first snipe fail in a similar manner.

Given that there are many many thousands of users, quite a few of those must have persisted a little longer before posting their experiences here.

I would expect that many more walk away, never to return, after a single failure than post a comment... However, I'd still expect more than just yourself to be posting on this 'Impressions' area over the many years this site has been running, if the failure rate was indeed higher than 1 in 200, as you seem confident in proclaiming from your experience with just one single snipe.
traviweiser6

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, you're saying it's just my bad luck then...

I'm sure I will try using this site again in the future. It's just kind of funny how it failed the first time I tried it.

Also I can't find the sarcasm button on here. There really needs to be one on this forum because not everyone gets it. Smile
Cupid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No sarcasm from me... my response is based on many years of observation on this site.

I don't doubt that yours are also based on your own observation.

Perspectives do tend to vary with experience.
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:53 am    Post subject:

traviweise6

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well someone else just posted the item I'm looking for and the current bid is much lower than the last item was. So I might be able to get it for even cheaper. I'll let you know in 3 days if it works this time. Wink
Cupid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK,

I wish you better luck this time...
traviweise6

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to ask this here, but I just want to make sure I understand this.

On the FAQ where it says...

"If I enter my maximum bid in Gixen, will I have to pay that amount if I win?

Not necessarily (except for Dutch auctions). All Gixen does is enter your maximum bid on eBay just before the auction closes, and then eBay's proxy bidding system takes over. The winning bid amount will be the second-highest bid plus up to one increment, which could be much less than your maximum bid. Thus, you should always enter your maximum bid in Gixen, just as you would if you entered it manually directly on eBay. An important exception are Dutch (multiple-item) auctions, in which you pay what you enter (provided you win)."

Does that mean if I'm bidding on an item where the current bid is $50.00 and on eBay it says "Enter US $51.00 or more". If I were to put my bid here on Gixen at $100.00 it will automatically put in my bid as the next highest number to what the current bid is as long as it doesn't go over $100.00?
So if the bid were to get up to $60.00 Gixen would at the last sec enter $61.00 for me?
Cupid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traviweise6,

No, not exactly... As it says, Gixen will place the bid you ask it to at the time you ask it to.

However, that does not mean that you necessarily have to pay that much.

This has nothing to do with Gixen though, that is how Ebay bidding works... you never have to pay more than one bid increment more than the next highest bidder was prepared to pay. That is the Ebay 'proxy bidding system' that is being referred to.

Of course it is because of that that Gixen is implemented as it is, and doesn't need to bother about finding out what the current auction price is and bid just a bit more.

It wouldn't work effectively, as you think it does, in any case, because you don't know what later bids are already scheduled, and generally you also don't know the amount of the highest bid already placed, because Ebay does not reveal what that is until it has been outbid.

Last edited by Cupid on Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:17 am; edited 1 time in total
traviweise6

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh okay. So it still works as I think it does where I can put the max amount I'm willing to pay for the item, but it's eBay that makes it so I only pay the next highest amount.

Thanks for making that more clear. Smile
traviweise6

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow does this site just not like me or something? It gave me an error again. Crying or Very sad It says "EBAY ERROR: PAGE NOT RESPONDING (2)" What does that even mean? Why I'm I getting this error? Does anyone know why this is happening and how to fix it?

So success rate for me on this site is still 0%

2 fails / 0 successes. Confused
Cupid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me two failures in a row, of this type, indicates some issue that Gixen is having with accessing your account via its servers.

I'd now recommend emailing Mario direct at the support address given on the Contact tab above, and please include your Ebay id, as well as the item ids of the auctions in question, you might also want to refer back to this thread for him to reference and respond to.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the first time in about 5 years my Gixen snipe did not work.
Especially useful when the end time was 0300 here.

The item went for half what I was prepared to put in so the seller lost out too.

Very concerned such a brilliant program ,may be getting caught in some sort of some ebay anti-bot program as Mario has mentioned in his blog .

Seriously concerned anyway. Anyone else hit a snag ?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT : from above post.

I now see I have a little message "Why did it fail" as a link. It links to comment :
"If you are seeing this page, it is likely that your account requires phone or text verification by eBay.
The best way to resolve this is to change your eBay password (pick a strong one) and re-enter all your snipes. "

I don't know anything about ebay extras requirements. I prob just click past them. Seems I will now have to give ebay more of my details when I'm getting hacked by scammers the more of my details I put online for my 'safety' anyway now.

Gives me something to try anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT : Looks like I entered my landline in the field where ebay wanted my mobile number. Maybe they noticed. Maybe it will help ?

No idea when I did that.

(Why do I keep coming up as 'Guest' ? Happy to be identified with this site.)
Cupid

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any new pages that Ebay put up requesting further information, or to confirm information they already have, can cause this type of failure... Gixen is not able to get past such screens... that is why I always advise users to enter the information that Ebay demands at the first opportunity they get.. that always helps things to run more smoothly with your snipes.

As to the id that is associated with your posts... it is whatever you type in when you decide to make a new post here... this is not necessarily associated with your Ebay id... it is deliberately left open, so that anyone can post here... not just those that have registered with then service, and even for those that have they can still post here anonymously if they want to... obviously if you have an issue, putting in your actual Ebay id is useful in any investigation that Mario carries out...
ronmc2

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 5:57 am    Post subject: Future Fail Reply with quote

For the last 24-36 hours, NOT ONE Ebay Bid Increase has registered on Gixen. They Still say the Exact same amount after refreshing and showing the new Time Remaining(Example-When added to Gixen, the Bid was $1.50. My Bid=$5. Current Bid for the last 24 hours has been $9, but Gixen Still says current bid as $1.50, instead of turning Yellow).

I got a Baaaad Feeling about this. I'm going to try and edit the price to $6(under the Current $9) to see if it changes, but the ones I would still win, seem like they will have a Gixen FAIL this morning when the Auctions End.
ronmc2

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 6:05 am    Post subject: Future Fail Reply with quote

Edit: When I changed my bid to $6, Gixen updates ONLY that auction to Yellow(outbid) with a current bid of $9. But I STILL won't know about my current winning snipes until it's too late.

I gotta Baaad Feeling about this!
ronmc2

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Future Fail Reply with quote

Update-False Alarm. Gixen bids OK.
Cupid

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gixen only attempts to update the auction prices periodically... and even if that process fails it does not affect in any way the process of placing the bid at the end of the auction.

The current auction price is only ever supplied as a convenience, it is not necessary for sniping operations, at all.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: error Reply with quote

this only run well with 1º item...
in all item post, write unknown error and lost all articles.
need fix
Cupid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this is an issue on more than one day, then I recommend contacting Mario direct via email at the support address given on the Contact tab above.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Impressions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.