Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

suggestion for first time users

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sjamhcd

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: suggestion for first time users Reply with quote

I tried Gixen for the first time and the very first item bid on was rejected because I put my maximum price the same as the buy it now price. The response was "BID ABOVE BUY IT NOW PRICE", which it wasn't. I now know not to put the maximum bid the same as the buy it now price, but it was a disappointment. It was stupid of them to reject the bid when it was the only bid. I expect they will relist the item and I will adjust my maximum just below the buy it now price. The second item I won, which was a regular auction with no bids.

Al in all, I am happy with it so far, but I have a question: When entering an item for bidding, on the right it has two boxes, "offset" and "mirror", with a pull down menu of numbers, 6, 3, 6, 8, 10, 12 and 15. I don't know what this means. I did pay the $6 for the mirror.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Offset is the number of seconds before auction end to send your bid at. Mirror is the same number for the bid sent from the mirror server.

Different users have different preferences. I keep them as 8 (main) and 6 (mirror). You can set the default values on the settings page.

As for buy-it-now... many users had this problem. I'll see if I can issue some warning about it.
lokekb

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:25 am    Post subject: time setting Reply with quote

Hi, you mentioned you set yours as 8 secs for main, 6 secs for mirror. My question would be: whats the logic for differing timing? Is it to ensure sufficient time for mirror to react in the event a corresponding better bid comes in?
Cupid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both bids are the same amount and both servers operate independently when trying to place snipes, they do not inform each other of failures to trigger action.

The main reason that people have different offsets is so that only one bid gets registered on eBay. EBay does not allow you to place the same bid on the same account at different times, however when both servers are set to the same offset occasionally both mange to place bids at the same time so you get two bids of the same amount on eBay.

The only issue with that which some don't like is that it is an indication to others that you are using an automated bidding tool. Personally it does not bother me and so I have both the Main and Mirror default offsets set the same.
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:16 am    Post subject:

Sumflow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject: Timing theory Reply with quote

I set the mirror behind the main. The first bid is sent only to be backed up moments later from Miami. If there is something wrong with the computer when the first bid gets there, it will be over and done when number two strikes.

Simultaneously, I would expect in the unlikely event one fails, they both would fail, and for the same reason. I would rather have someone up on another ledge make a clear shot weather the first was a kill shot or not.
Sumflow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: time setting Reply with quote

lokekb wrote:
Is it to ensure sufficient time for mirror to react in the event a corresponding better bid comes in?
It has nothing to do with a better bid coming in. The highest price always wins, it does not matter when it is placed.

What a snipe does, is place the bid so close to the end, that no-one has time to raise the bid in reaction to yours. If they play the game to win. That is, if they already put in there highest price, and it is higher than yours, you lose. If both bids are the same the first bidder wins.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Impressions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.