eBay username
eBay Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.
Forum is available in English only.

SearchSearch     

Gixen bid log

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vonkuttenberg

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:32 am    Post subject: Gixen bid log Reply with quote

hello Mario, first thanks for this great service, i am not used to pay for internet stuff, but your program (mainly thanks your community support - it fascinated me so much) that i quit from not very well workin BayGenie and signed to your "premium" server.

My question is if there is any way or feature for seeing log of bid as you are answering here to every second person complaying "WHY HE DID NOT WON"?

something like:
AUCTION ENDS 9.2.2011 09:32:14
09:32:10 LOGGIN
09:32:11 SUCESSFUL
09:32:12 LOOKING FOR HIGHEST BID
09:32:12 HIGHEST BID IS 57.4$
09:32:13 BIDDING 59$
09:32:13 OKAY YOU ARE HIGHEST BIDDER 59$
09:32:14 LOOKING FOR HIGHEST BID
09:32:15 AUCTION ENDED

that would be really great to understand me the principle of your service. I switched my servers to 3sec before finish because i think all algoritm are prepared to bid later than 6second before end and i am quite suprised that according to red text "you really dont suggest 3sec bidding"
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:32 am    Post subject: Gixen bid log

Cupid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gixen logs in much earlier than you suggest, it also checks for the highest bid after the auction ends, because there may be later bids than the one it submits (if it is able to).

3 second snipes have a greater risk of being late due to factors outside Gixens control, like network latency.

Since sniping only protects you from bidders that react to your bid it is only necessary to be late enough to prevent that happening, 6 seconds is ample time for this. Certainly there can be later bids but these were (in the vast majority of cases) going to be placed anyway and are not reactions to your bid. In these cases it is actually an advantage to have bid earlier as you gain the advantage of the bid increment and first bid rules.
vonkuttenberg

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okey i am starting understanding system of how does it work. is there any post where is explained how the systems works with lastmoment bidding? (because i am really confused of ebay log of last moment bidders like

for example auction ends at 12:15:05 aaand:

12:13:03 b***b 68$
12:15:25 y**t 72$
12:15:03 z***t 56$
12:15:01 x***y 55$

and your 6seconds before end means that 6secs it get info about highest bid and bid in last 5seconds or it means that 6seconds before end it bids? or it reads highest bid 6secs before and wait for last moment?
Cupid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the details about exactly how Gixen works are commercially sensitive and hence are not made public.

The log that you posted is not possible because it states that the last bid at 12:15:25 happened after the auction ended at 12:15:05, unless the bid at 12:15:25 was on a previous day?

If you have a bid scheduled with a 6 second offset Gixen obtains the current auction price before that and attempts to place the bid 6 seconds before the auction ends when the current auction price, that it detects, is lower than the bid to be submitted.
vonkuttenberg

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay i missunderstood a bit. can you explain me this on a direct link

offer.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=180612896924

the winner overbid the highest bid before he add it Smile
Cupid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK from your link, the auction ended at 25.01.11 15:04:11 MEZ, the winning bid was placed at 25.01.11 15:04:05 MEZ and the second highest bid was placed at 25.01.11 15:04:07 MEZ.

So what happened was that the winning bid was placed 6 seconds before the end, the second highest bid was placed 2 seconds later (4 seconds from the end of the auction) but was outbid by the earlier bid, the price was increased to that bid plus one bid increment.

The losing bid could not have been a reaction to the one that won though because 2 seconds is not enough time to make a decision and then make a bid.

I can't see anything unusual, can you? That is how eBay display bids, the lowest at the bottom the highest at the top... it does not display them in the order that they were placed timewise.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vonkuttenberg,

In fact most of it is not a secret:

1) Gixen logs in some time before auction end. This varies from 30 to 90 seconds. I experimented with different values, but not because it makes any difference for users - mostly to tweak performance of my servers. Bid offset is the actual time when final confirmation of the bid is sent. Logging in, going through the flow, etc, obviously has to be done before that.

2) I have these logs, but I am not going to make them directly available, as logs alone would not be much useful to most users, and searching through them (by users) would certainly affect servers with little or no benefit. When in doubt, I prefer users to contact me, and then I will investigate.
Cupid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I didn't mean to imply that the methods are secret only that Mario does have some intellectual property tied up in the implementation of those methods (hence the copyright on the Gixen pages).
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, when you say it that way, you give it too much importance... sure, I wouldn't publish the code, yet somehow I still don't see any sniping software as something overly inventive. Its challenge really is making it scale for a large number of users (something I always enjoyed - making lean and efficient software), and polishing it to the point that reliability is at its maximum.

Below is the "uptime" of the mirror server. 1211 days without reboot.

[root@gate ~]# uptime
20:13:33 up 1211 days, 20:25, 4 users, load average: 0.11, 0.17, 0.20
[root@gate ~]#
Cupid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is an impressive statistic... Is it Unix or Linux?
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linux, all Gixen servers are running under Linux.
User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:39 am    Post subject: Good Guy Reply with quote

Thank you Mario for doing this!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jimsurf

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: x Reply with quote

This site kicks azz!
RECODO53

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GIXEN IS A FRAUD....I LOOSE MY 6 DLLS AND MORE ON ITEMS 320739330865 AND OTHERS.....
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RECODO53 wrote:
GIXEN IS A FRAUD....I LOOSE MY 6 DLLS AND MORE ON ITEMS 320739330865 AND OTHERS.....

320739330865 was ended a day early by the seller. The original end time was 8/12/11 04:49:12 PM PDT and seller ended it at 8/11/11 06:20:33 PM PDT.

I issue refunds to unhappy users regardless whether it's Gixen's fault or not, so please email me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Ideas All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.