Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

ebay notice "MC010 Unauthorized access of your accoun

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:31 am    Post subject: ebay notice "MC010 Unauthorized access of your accoun Reply with quote

Hello, can someone tell me why ebay recently change my password and give me this "MC010 Unauthorized access of your account" email notice?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is the detailed chronology:

currently i'm a regular ebayer and your mirror membership for about one/two weeks, i'm bidding about 5-10 items everyday. I can guarantee that no one except myself and gixen who knows my ebay ID and its password.

Today when i tried to login, ebay blocked my password and send me the "MC010 Unauthorized access of your account" notice. So i must change my password and unfortunately ebay forced me to not use same password that i used before.

So my question is:
1. Why ebay think there is appears someone was able to break into your eBay account?
2. How can i change my "ebay password" in Gixen?

Thanks.
jen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:11 am    Post subject: I got MC010 Unauthorized access email from ebay too Reply with quote

I also got an MC010 Unauthorized access email from ebay today. I went through the process of changing passwords and security questions for ebay and paypal just to be safe. I also called ebay. They said it could be due to using snipe software. So, can someone explain if Gixen is seen by ebay as a break in attempt? Or is is possible someone hacked into Gixen and got our usernames and passords? I noticed today that all of my bids in Gixen had been purged and I did not do that.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one hacked into Gixen, but I can see a lot of "sign in information invalid" messages, which means that the IP of the main server must have been blacklisted by ebay, at least temporary.

I am working on getting this resolved, however if ebay decided to disable sniping there is little I will be able to do. This happened before, so I hope this is a temporary issue.
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:37 am    Post subject:

mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Around 80 users have been affected in the last 3 hours.
BADBOB2219

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:07 pm    Post subject: HACKED ACCOUNT !!! Reply with quote

Same here !!!

I called flebay and they said someone hacked my account and listed items on my account ...

The IP address was from over seas ...

They removed the items and credited my account for the fees ...

I always fwd spoof emails to flebay ..

I dont know how they got my password ??? Confused
Cupid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BADBOB2219,

That sounds like a very different problem, eBay appear to have penalised bids from Gixens IP address for a short period... and reset passwords as a result... There is no indication that Gixen has been compromised in any way... and there is no evidence that anyone could have actually compromised any eBay accounts as a result of Gixen operations.

How secure is your password?
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I can confirm that Gixen servers were never compromised. Not a single account, not a single password. There is an issue with ebay locking accounts and sending "account compromised" notifications.

This is probably because of logins from Gixen IPs.

As for the items being listed under your account, I find that strange, it's the first such report I hear about. If this really happened, I found it unusual that you did not get a notification from ebay of such event (e.g. a confirmation email that a listing was created).
BADBOB2219

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: HACKED ACCOUNT !!! Reply with quote

hi

they told me they changed my email to a new one so they could get the $$$ from paypal ..

maybe they just were bs ing me and it was the gixen ip block ???
hope you get the fix !!!

GIXEN ROCKS !!!

thanks
bob
PS: i forgot how do i change my password on gixen ??
do i just log in with my user name and re type my new password ?? Question
Cupid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: HACKED ACCOUNT !!! Reply with quote

BADBOB2219 wrote:
they

eBay support?
BADBOB2219 wrote:
told me they changed my email to a new one so they could get the $$$ from paypal ..

How would changing the email address associated with your eBay account help anyone get money from your Paypal account, or help them get money into theirs?

I can see it might help them elude detection for a little while longer though.

BADBOB2219 wrote:
maybe they just were bs ing me and it was the gixen ip block ???

Support staff have been known to say some unverifiable things that they either:
(i) think the customer wants to hear or,
(ii) will justify actions they dont understand themselves or,
(iii) conforms to the script that they have been given or,
(iv) will get the customer off the phone as soon as possible

BADBOB2219 wrote:
hope you get the fix !!!

GIXEN ROCKS !!!

I agree

BADBOB2219 wrote:

thanks
bob

That is absolutely correct, you will have to enter your snipes again though as you will not have access to the old ones (which would fail with the wrong password in any case) once you log into Gixen with your new credentials.

Last edited by Cupid on Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cupid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A question for Mario:

Does logging in to Gixen with a new eBay password delete the active snipes on the old password?

If not, might it be an improvement if it did, since that would reduce attempts to log into eBay with invalid passwords and hence reduce the possibility/likelyhood of eBay targeting Gixens' IP?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:08 pm    Post subject: MC010 Unauthorized access EBay problem too Reply with quote

Same problem here. Could IP's have changed recently from Gixen? I want to know how mad I should get at EBay.

Thanks
Cupid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new sniping server was introduced on the Main side... but that was months ago, if that was the cause of the problem it would have been detected by eBay quite a while ago.
BADBOB2219

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: HACKED ACCOUNT !!! Reply with quote

Hey Cupid,

no the hackers listed stuff with my account and changed my email so i would never see a listing or question ...

then i guess they could get the $$$ with the new email linked to the hackers paypal account ...

at least thats what flebay told me ??? Rolling Eyes
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: HACKED ACCOUNT !!! Reply with quote

BADBOB2219 wrote:
hi
they told me they changed my email to a new one so they could get the $$$ from paypal ..

How would anyone be able to do that? In order to get money out of paypal account one needs a paypal password. I wouldn't be surprised if ebay customer support has no idea what caused this, but since nothing changed on Gixen, it must some new fraud detection tool on their side, and Gixen users were collateral damage.

BADBOB2219 wrote:

You don't. You just log in with the new username and password. If mirror subscriber, and changed your ebay username, you can transfer your subscription on the Gixen settings page.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cupid wrote:

Does logging in to Gixen with a new eBay password delete the active snipes on the old password?

No, but they are dead entries in the database. The first one of those remaining snipes will fail with "Sign in information not valid" message, and the rest of snipes scheduled under the same (username, password) combination will be canceled automatically by Gixen with "CANCELED - SIGN IN NOT VALID" message.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cupid wrote:
A new sniping server was introduced on the Main side... but that was months ago, if that was the cause of the problem it would have been detected by eBay quite a while ago.

This was a long time ago already. In fact, it's interesting that the new server, which hosts more than 95% of Gixen mirror subscribers did not have this issue, only the old main server that hosts all the free users + remaining 5% of mirror subscribers.

I spent a lot of time trying to figure out clues behind this, but reached no conclusion. I have no idea why one server was affected, and the other one wasn't. The affected server had higher volume though.
BADBOB2219

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:52 pm    Post subject: HACKED ACCOUNT !!! Reply with quote

HEY MARIO ,

what flebay told me is :

they hacked my account and changed my email address to the hackers ..
i would never know that ...

then they listed stuff and would get the $$$ from the sales to there email (the hackers) account , that is there paypal account ...

they did not hack my paypal account ...

i still dont know how they got my info ???
well i just loged in to paypal so if i have a key stroke thing i should know soon lol !!!

keep it rocking mario or im done buying (might be a good thing lol) ...

SNIPING IS THE ONLY WAY TO BUY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Laughing
Cupid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your continued support BADBOB,

What I am certain of is that they didn't get your details via Gixen.

Do you have any anti-spyware or anti-virus software running on your computer?

If not I would recommend you get some... you don't need to pay for personal use of many these days.
RugerRedhawk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is this still an issue? I have an item I want to win, but don't want to mess with this if it's not going to be able to place the bid for me.
Cupid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RugerRedhawk,

Personally I have had no issue with using Gixen at all... and I use it a great deal... there are risks with everything you do... this one is minimal... and couldn't cost you any more than the very small possibility of losing an auction... The problem is not ongoing, it looks like eBay had an issue with bids submitted from one of Gixens servers for a short period.

Last edited by Cupid on Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:09 am; edited 1 time in total
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, frankly I don't think anyone broken into BADBOB's account. If anyone listed anything under that account there would be an email notification sent to the user's email address. If anyone tried to disable notifications, the same would have happened.

I think it's just a story BADBOY was told to provide a justfication for locking the account. In reality, it was likely locked by an automated fraud tool that conducted some kind of geo-mapping analysis.
BADBOB2219

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:34 am    Post subject: HACKED ACCOUNT !!! Reply with quote

YEA , Mario i think your right now that im thinking about it more ...

If it was hacked i would of got at least one email if they changed it ..

Im going to call again and ask more questions and tell them im not happy !! Evil or Very Mad
i spend lots there and they usually are real good to me ...

should i bring up that i use a snipping service ????
i mean every thing i win brings more $$ because i sniped it !!!
i wont bid with out a snipe ...

1 bid for 1 auction , when i loose i go find the next one ...

thanks
bob
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BADBOB, I would just ignore it... As I said before, I don't think they targeted Gixen really. eBay has a lot of fraud issues, and they have to deal with them in an efficient way. And automated fraud tools are an efficient way. Gixen customers were just a collateral damage, and this is unfortunate.

As for the customer service representatives, it's much easier and less time consuming for them to resolve the issue with a particular customer and move on, than to try to find the developer / architect responsible. eBay has something like 15,000 employees.

What I have to deal with is explain to users that I did not hijack anyone's account or changed password. I already got several email from angry users. But that's normal too.
Cupid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really sorry to hear that people are sending you angry emails Mario... I guess it is inevitable if eBay support are not briefed properly on how the eBay systems in the background are used and operated... of course, it is also understandable the eBay would not wish to be too open about how their fraud detection mechanisms work... but I do think people should take a deap breath, think about what is the most likely scenario, and only then consider sending messages if it is entirely justified.

Please consider this before complaining, what has Mario to gain from causing issues with Gixen users eBay accounts?... He can only lose from such actions can't he?
NewGuest

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject: Ebay changed password Reply with quote

I signed up for Gixen a couple days ago.

Mario, you've done a great job on this web service.

I queued up about 15 snipes and before the first one took effect Ebay changed my password and sent the MC010 Unauthorized Access email. I complained and asked Ebay never to do that again (heh).

I understand why you cannot and would not want to execute those snipes. However I would still like to bid on those items but do not recall all 15. Based on my Ebay username, can I somehow see what those items were?

If not, you might want to consider retaining that list of snipes so Ebay's password actions do not have such a dire effect on your users.

Regards, MarkG
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, absolutely. Please email me and I will provide you with the list Mark.

I will see what I can do to make retrieval of such items easier.
BADBOB2219

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: HACKED ACCOUNT !!! Reply with quote

GIXEN ROCKS Very Happy !!!!!

KEEP UP THE "GREAT" WORK MARIO !!!!

YOUR THE "BEST" , KEEP IT UP (I KNOW YOU WILL) ....

I RECOMENDED YOU TO MANY FRIENDS AND ALL ARE HAPPY INCLUDING ME !!!

PLEASE KEEP UP THE "GREAT" WORK !! Very Happy

THANKS
BOB
Lars

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

Referring to the initial problem in this topic, eBay blocking Gixen IP. Can anyone confirm that Gixen is "up and working" and the problems resolved?

Lars
Cupid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lars,

I can not provide an absolute assurance, I wish I could... I can confirm that many users, myself included, are NOT experiencing any issues at all... that action is being taken behind the scenes to address any potential issues, that the situation is being actively monitored and that this will continue to be the case until a full 'all clear' can be issued.

In the mean time we recommend that if eBay suspend your account with this message you follow their verification process to get it unblocked (that does not take longer than 10 minutes but involves you talking to them directly) before attempting to add more snipes here.. once that is done Gixen operation should once again be faultless for you.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lars, the problem is way less pronounced, though I can still see some accounts not be able to log in. But for users that it works for, it works fine, and this is vast majority (probably around 95% of users).

I haven't noticed any user whose account was locked twice, so users who resolved the issue with ebay are able to use the service again with no issues.
Mike Givens

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: ebay notice "MC010 Unauthorized access of your account Reply with quote

I just got an email from eBay about "MC010 Unauthorized access of your account...". It looks like this might have been a problem with Gixen a few years ago. I just started using Gixen last week along with ForBidding and it has been a great tool! Is this a problem that has resurfaced?
Pandoth

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got the same message. Perhaps it will only happen the one time and go away.
scb

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject: Same issue - MC010 Reply with quote

I just received the same thing. It's really unfortunate but I changed my password on Ebay and PayPal now.

Looks like Ebay it catching these snipes and trying to do something about it.

Will my paid account still work on Gixen with the new password?

Let us know what you find please.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also just received this email.
Changed my password and logged in here with gixen with my new information. Added some snipes for this night I guess I will see tomorrow if it worked or not.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This happened to me as well. A bit disappointing my snipes are gone after changing my eBay password.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you please email me? I would like to see what that notice looks like, and what ebay asks you to do.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See below:

Your eBay account has been temporarily locked because it looks like someone used it without your permission. We've taken steps to secure your account. If your account was used in any unauthorized activity, such as listing, buying, or selling, we've canceled the activity. Any associated fees have been credited to your account. Any listings that we removed are listed toward the end of this email. We assure you that your credit card information is stored on a secure server and can't be seen by anyone.

To unlock your account, here's what you need to do:

Step 1:
Please change the password on your personal email account () because if someone can get into your email, they may be able to access your eBay account. For tips on creating a secure password, go to:

Step 2:
Change your eBay password by following these steps:
1. Click the "Sign in" link at the top of the eBay home page.
2. Click the "I forgot my password" link.
3. Enter your eBay user ID on the following page and click "Continue"
4. Follow the instructions to change your password.

After signing in to your account with your new password, you may be asked to complete additional steps to prove you're the account owner. Please understand that this is done for your protection. We want to make sure you're the only one who has access to your eBay account.

Learn more about keeping your eBay account secure:

We appreciate your understanding.

Thanks,

eBay
BADBOB2219

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Hey, Me again!!

I just got the MC010 thing again today (happened 3 years ago also)..
You can see my posts here 3 years ago..

When I called they said someone tried (unsuccessful) to log into my account.

I just wonder if anyone else uses AOL e-mail like me??
They did get hacked a short time ago and told me to change my password (but i diddent) ...

Just a thought
Idea
mickoz

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject: Add me in! Reply with quote

I also got a password warning today on at least 2 of my accounts. Let's see if my other accounts will also get it.
BADBOB2219

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey mickoz...
What do you mean by password warning and what accounts are you talking about??
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From time to time, eBay rolls out some anti-fraud measure such as this one, that affects many users. Usually it's short-lived as it's damaging for everyone - buyers, sellers and ebay. There is no doubt that this is caused by using sniping services such as Gixen, as I see many users affected at once.

Please follow the instructions to unlock your accounts. That seems to be the only way to resolve this.
rondy

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: err ebay Reply with quote

Wow email sent me that email too. They suck! I was lucky I do not have any bids at this time.
rondy

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: err ebay Reply with quote

rondy wrote:
Wow email sent me that email too. They suck! I was lucky I do not have any bids at this time.

I meant to say "ebay sent me"
rambobytes

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Mee too! Reply with quote

I'm a subscriber, got the same message, changed my ebay p/w, and now I can't get into Gixen. Will you be posting here if you've found the fix? thanks!
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rambobytes,

you may need to wait for up to 24 hours for ebay to stop inserting captchas. They often do this after a password change. It can take as little as few hours, or up to 24 hours to stop. This prevents Gixen from logging in on your behalf.
rambobytes

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Working again! Reply with quote

It's working again! All is right with the world! Very Happy
actionwoman63

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:50 am    Post subject: login to gixen fails Reply with quote

I can't get logged in to gixen site currently. username and pw works fine logging into ebay, and no captchas when I log in. No emails from ebay to reset pw.

Gixen ip blacklisted at ebay again ?
actionwoman63

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and now it's working again ... what's going on ?
Cupid

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

actionwoman63,

It can be that Gixen servers have captchas inserted by Ebay for a short while when you can log in without them from your home, especially when a passwor is changed... this is because Ebay can detect that Gixen servers are locate in a different place from your home... this usually sorts itself out within 24 hours.
Adamz

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: Same here! Reply with quote

Got that message too; had to change my password. If i enter more snipes, will it works or will i'll be locked again?
Cupid

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adamz,

It is unusual for Ebay to keep targeting the same issue over and over again... they usually allow things to go back to usual.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.