Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

When does Gixen use the ebay password provided?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pcstamps

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: When does Gixen use the ebay password provided? Reply with quote

Hi Mario,

I have not used Gixen yet. I assume that one simply enter his/her ebay id and password and then enter the item # to be sniped and snipe bid amount. Then the ebay id and password are saved in your location. I hope they are encrypted. Then the ebay id and password are deleted within 48 hours of a listing's end time. I'm thinking it may be safer if you require user to register and allow saving snipes without saving the ebay password, user can enter the ebay password later. Basically, I'm suggesting to minimize the duration of passwords stored in your location. Any snipes which have no password will simply not be executed.

If eBay is willing to provide a temporary password for snipping only (even better if temporary password per listing), it will be the best solution. But I don't see any financial reason for eBay to do it.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little confused as to how is your solution fundamentally different. Confused No matter how you look at it, Gixen needs to have your password. And no, unfortunately I can't expect any assistance from ebay, as they don't endorse sniping (so no API).

As for the security, if I were you, I wouldn't worry about it, I'm aware that a security breach would be the end of Gixen, and I know what I'm doing.
pcstamps

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mario,

Yes, you definitely need the password in order to submit the bid. Let's say that I want to bid a listing which ends 6 days later and I know I will not able to snipe bid manually. I will set up the snipe in Gixen right away so I don't need to keep track what snipes I need to set up. The current way my password will exist in your location for 6 days. If you allow saving snipe without password, I can provide the password right before I have no access to internet. Of course, if I forget to provide the password, the snipe will not be executed. My point is that I want to minimize the password being stored in your location before the bid is actually submitted.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you schedule snipes then right before you don't have access to the internet? Very Happy It's a joke, but the point is again, it makes no difference. Besides, other sniping services keep your password forever.
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject:

pcstamps

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mario,

The difference is just similar to why you keep the passwords for another 48 hours ONLY after the listings ended.

Anyway, I assume that the password saved in your location will only be used once for submitting the bid. If the password saved in your location does not match with the password in ebay, the snipe will just simply not be submitted.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could be right, but at this point I don't think this subtle difference justifies the effort necessary to change this.

> If the password saved in your location does not match with the password in ebay, the snipe will just simply not be submitted.

Naturally, Gixen won't be able to log in to ebay.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.